1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

COVID vs Diabetes

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Brooke K Wyatt, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Brooke K Wyatt

Brooke K Wyatt · Newbie

How true is that Coronavirus patients have the highest number of diabetics?

2. sno0opy

sno0opy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I haven't read anything that your more likely to get Covid with diabetes.

there are studies that suggest you are more likely to develop serious complications with diabetes once you get covid, however most of the studies suggest this is often tied in with either very poor glucose control or more frequently with obesity and age.

Since age and obesity increase risk of diabetes and covid seems to cause more issues with people who are obese and or old - then it also connects the dots to diabetes. It doesn't follow from what i have read that a person with diabetes and good control and no other risk factors are at significantly higher risk of serious complications

However we should all be careful regardless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. simo_M

simo_M · Member

I had covid back in March when I was uncontrolled type 2 (I was diagnosed from blood tests after this). It was very unpleasant for a couple of weeks but never required serious consideration of hospitalisation. However, I have no history of heart, circulation or BP issues and was a 44 year old with BMI of 30, so not otherwise high risk.

Definitely one to avoid if possible.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

To put it into context you are 3 times more likely to die from Covid if you are type 1 and x2 as likely if type 2 once infected with Covid.
    So you'd multiply that risk by the population risk (not known exactly but the infection fatality rate is 0.3-0.4%).
    You could also add in obesity and severe obesity (bmi 40+) x 2 then being male x 1.6 and BAME.
    But the real risk is being over 80 which ramps things up to x 22 hazard ratio.
    Of course older people are more likely to have diabetes, hypertension etc. but at over 80 our immune systems just aren't as good as they were.
    So as you say we should not be rushing out to a Covid party but perhaps this doesn't warrant staying inside until there is a vaccine...

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook