New to forum, quick question

SammyHarts

Hi everyone, I am newly diagnosed Type 2 and have developed a foot ulcer for which I have been having treatment for months but its not healing as well as it should be. I am overweight and a smoker and I am terrified I am going to lose my toe! It's certainly not at that stage but in my mind I keep going to worse case scenario. I wish I could stop worrying. Has anyone else experienced a toe ulcer and what was the outcome?? Thanks in advance.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. Are you testing your levels? Do you know what your hba1c was?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I am newly diagnosed Type 2 and have developed a foot ulcer for which I have been having treatment for months but its not healing as well as it should be. I am overweight and a smoker and I am terrified I am going to lose my toe! It's certainly not at that stage but in my mind I keep going to worse case scenario. I wish I could stop worrying. Has anyone else experienced a toe ulcer and what was the outcome?? Thanks in advance.

Hi Sammy - So sorry you're going through the wars at the moment.

In terms of getting improvements with the ulcer, and your overall health, getting your blood sugars in a good place and ditching the smoking would be my priorities.

I appreciate smoking is an addiction and a tough thing to give up, but when my, then life-long smoker, mother was experiencing issues with blood supply to her feet, her consultant was delighted when (faced with the potential loss of her foot, she managed to give up. His statement was that every time a cigarette is smoked, the peripheral blood vessels shrank (then relaxed again over time), limiting the blood supply getting to the bits needing to be healed. Every single cigarette matters.

I know that's a bit of a horror story, but even as a never, ever smoked person, it stuck with me. (Mum eventually passed away with all her limbs and parts intact.)

Getting your blood sugar in a good place is very important too. Have your team given you any advice on that?

Bringing your weight down would obviously help, but tackling too many things at once can be just overwhelming.

When I was diagnosed with T2, I had luuuurve handles, but not too overweight, but I found as I got my blood sugars down, I trimmed right up, without trying.

Sooooooooo, I'd say a two-pronged approach of smoking cessation and getting a grasp on what you eat and drink.

I would imagine the NHS would help you with smoking cessation; whether patches, mouth spray or whatever, so worthwhile asking.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I used to smoke, it’s not too hard to quit when you’re ready, and you seem to be now. Use the money to buy a testing kit so you can get your blood sugar under control so you can begin to heal.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi,
I also used to smoke. Firstly I had to want to give up (you are there already). Secondly I had to replace my nicotine craving! There are loads of products out there.
I eventually found a nicotine replacement therapy that worked for me (that was the lesser of two evils).
But it wasn't easy, take each
hour/craving/day as it comes.
I'm happy to chat more on this,
good luck.

Kalkie

I’m another ex smoker. I gave up about 18 years ago. I used to LOVE smoking. Really love it. But the Allen Carr book worked for me (and loads of other people I know too). It’s only a few £££ off Amazon so might be worth a try? (Probably cheaper than a packet of fags now!!)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Well been here got the t shirt eaten the pie , I use to smoke drink all the “ bad stuff” and definitely not in moderation .
I was young and invincible . How wrong I was . The eventual outcome after 34 years of abuse was loss of my leg below the knee. I’m not trying to frighten you, and there is a silver lining to this story. I decided to “ screw the nut “ stopped smoking ( something I highly recommend for you ) started testing bloods all the things I thought when I was “ invincible “ was not required.
Recently I got a new pair of boots which rubbed my big toe I ended up with a small ulcer , however it cured within 7 days after some antibiotics , so after 34 years of abuse it is possible to turn things around I’m living proof of it , do yourself a favour pack in the fags. I did it by putting £10 a day into a jar ( which was less than what I was spending on fags) after a month I felt better and had nearly £300 in my jar. .
Good luck on your journey you’ve taking the first step by talking about it and first steps are always the hardest

Stay safe
“” stick them with the pointy end “