urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The NHS closed its doors to very many people, covid sufferers, cancer patients, people needing operations etc. How is this not being overwhelmed? People were told to stay at home to save the NHS. Some died because of this.I thought the NHS was meant to heal the sick, not turn them away in droves to give some warped illusion of coping. So fed up with this government.
@zand I agree, our government is incapable of coping with the current situation AND brazenly dishonest (not that I could cope myself!) However I hear lots of interviews with hospital health workers who say that they are determined this time round not to sacrifice the interests of non-Covid patients. I don't think these people are lying. In some places, separate Covid and non-Covid hospitals are being set up. But if we add lots of new Covid patients to the existing backlog of non-Covid ones, it surely has to be fairly catastrophic, especially as many NHS staff are now incapable of working due to acute Covid or Long Covid. I don't think we can blame the NHS for that. We should rather blame government policies and cuts that were taken years ago.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you mind expanding on this please?
Besides DNAR, there are extra questions which are sensible on the face of it. So you opt for non invasive treatment which aims to keep you comfortable. Sensible it seems if you are elderly, why put your body through something that it can't cope with right? For instance an elderly lady with a broken arm near the shoulder wouldn't have an operation to pin it, she would stay in hospital until it healed. Yes, that's the right thing to do. You would give palliative care instead of invasive treatment. The problem is it limits what the staff can do for you, and there could be circumstances where you actually could survive but are left with end of life care as the only option. I wish I had kept the form I had back in April. I can't find any the same online, so I guess different health authorities may have different ones. Sorry, I wasn't meaning to be alarmist, I just think life is precious.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand I agree, our government is incapable of coping with the current situation AND brazenly dishonest (not that I could cope myself!) However I hear lots of interviews with hospital health workers who say that they are determined this time round not to sacrifice the interests of non-Covid patients. I don't think these people are lying. In some places, separate Covid and non-Covid hospitals are being set up. But if we add lots of new Covid patients to the existing backlog of non-Covid ones, it surely has to be fairly catastrophic, especially as many NHS staff are now incapable of working due to acute Covid or Long Covid. I don't think we can blame the NHS for that. We should rather blame government policies and cuts that were taken years ago.
Agreed. I wasn't really blaming the NHS staff, it just hurts that I and many others couldn't get treatment when we needed it, and Boris said 'Well done, you saved the NHS' It wasn't our job to do that.