Can your diabetes be reversed as you get older? Overdose of Insulin?

76_Debs

Hi all, I'm new here so please don't judge if I ask silly questions. My father is insulin dependent and has been for 33 years, he is now 66 years of age. He started off just monitoring his sugar levels for a few years. He then went to dietary controlled and quite quickly on to insulin. He also has a brain injury from a fall which happened 4 years ago. He is a changed man but mobile and able to talk, eat etc. Over the last 8 months we have noticed a change in my father. He has become agitated, aggressive, can't concentrate, restless, sleep disturbances, tired, headache, sweating. He was admitted to hospital recently as he was just unwell with all of these symptoms. For the last 5 days the Diabetic Team at the hospital have taken him off all insulin as they struggled with his bloods (my mother had the same issue but the diabetic nurse he is under just kept adjusting his units to 33 units am and 6 units pm). So very surprisingly over the last number of days from the hospital stopped giving him insulin his bloods have been eg 4.4, 6.5, 7.7 etc, all within normal range and this is with no insulin whatsoever. We are so shocked by this. With all the symptoms that my father was feeling I listed above, could him having the insulin contributed to how he was feeling as he quite possibly didn't need it? I found a thread on this very site saying an overdose of insulin can cause symptoms like my father has experienced. Has anyone ever had a reversal in their diabetes? Thank you in advance

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is your Dad Type 1 or 2, you've added the Type1 tag but you mention is started off only needing diet control which may mean Type2, if Type1 then no it cannot be reserved, Type 2 doesn't normally disappear on its own either mind.

Reactions: 76_Debs

76_Debs

Is your Dad Type 1 or 2, you've added the Type1 tag but you mention is started off only needing diet control which may mean Type2, if Type1 then no it cannot be reserved, Type 2 doesn't normally disappear on its own either mind.
Apologies, I'm not sure of the exact terms but he started monitoring his blood then changed to dietary controlled and progressed very quickly to insulin. He has been on insulin for approximately 30 years now. We are astounded that currently no insulin is being given and his bloods are all in the normal range. Thank you for your reply x

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I think this warrants discussion with your father's current medical team to seek clarification.

76_Debs

I think this warrants discussion with your father's current medical team to seek clarification.
Hi, thank you for your reply. Due to Covid the ward is closed to visitors and we get daily updates from the nurses. We have requested the Dr/Consultant contact us for discussion but to date have not contacted us. I have today left another message to discuss this with them. Thank you again x

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I would Request phone consultation with in a time interval. If not successful seek advice from PALS.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm new here so please don't judge if I ask silly questions. My father is insulin dependent and has been for 33 years, he is now 66 years of age. He started off just monitoring his sugar levels for a few years. He then went to dietary controlled and quite quickly on to insulin. He also has a brain injury from a fall which happened 4 years ago. He is a changed man but mobile and able to talk, eat etc. Over the last 8 months we have noticed a change in my father. He has become agitated, aggressive, can't concentrate, restless, sleep disturbances, tired, headache, sweating. He was admitted to hospital recently as he was just unwell with all of these symptoms. For the last 5 days the Diabetic Team at the hospital have taken him off all insulin as they struggled with his bloods (my mother had the same issue but the diabetic nurse he is under just kept adjusting his units to 33 units am and 6 units pm). So very surprisingly over the last number of days from the hospital stopped giving him insulin his bloods have been eg 4.4, 6.5, 7.7 etc, all within normal range and this is with no insulin whatsoever. We are so shocked by this. With all the symptoms that my father was feeling I listed above, could him having the insulin contributed to how he was feeling as he quite possibly didn't need it? I found a thread on this very site saying an overdose of insulin can cause symptoms like my father has experienced. Has anyone ever had a reversal in their diabetes? Thank you in advance

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. what insulin was your father initially prescribed..?