Retinopathy Mask

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The other day at the opticians I was shown a leaflet about a treatment which can prevent Diabetic eye problems, first I would like to ask how many people are aware of this product and also does anyone actually own one and what are they like? It doesn't look to be on the NHS currently unfortunately. I'll leave a link for people that want to have a look https://noctura.com/

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The other day at the opticians I was shown a leaflet about a treatment which can prevent Diabetic eye problems, first I would like to ask how many people are aware of this product and also does anyone actually own one and what are they like? It doesn't look to be on the NHS currently unfortunately. I'll leave a link for people that want to have a look https://noctura.com/

Hi there - The product you mention isn't something I'm familiar with, but if my memory serves me well, I think @himtoo used a mask of some sort in the past. Apologies to you both, if I misremember that.

Reactions: himtoo and JCBBFC27

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there - many thanks for this - I for one am very interested in this and have never heard about it before - may I ask what opticians you received the leaflet from? - and do you have any idea of the cost/s? I have had background retinopathy on and off for 3 years so it is something I would be interested in and will read up on it - thanks again and if you find out anything else please post - much appreciated

Reactions: JCBBFC27

Dark Horse

Hi there - many thanks for this - I for one am very interested in this and have never heard about it before - may I ask what opticians you received the leaflet from? - and do you have any idea of the cost/s? I have had background retinopathy on and off for 3 years so it is something I would be interested in and will read up on it - thanks again and if you find out anything else please post - much appreciated
This is Noctura's own website:- https://noctura.com/

There is a study which looked at macular oedema in patients with vs without light mask use:- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537927/

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I have been using this for some years now after having laser surgery for retinopathy. It costs £250 per mask which lasts for 3 months. It takes a week or two to get used to, as the mask is quite hard, but it's placed inside a soft outer casing, and I don't really notice it most of the time now.
The main problem I've had is keeping it on all night, especially in hot weather. Nevertheless, I've kept using it, and even with a less than 100% compliance, I believe it's made a difference. Ophthalmologist at hospital was interested in it, but finance not available to fund it on NHS.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I have been using this for some years now after having laser surgery for retinopathy. It costs £250 per mask which lasts for 3 months. It takes a week or two to get used to, as the mask is quite hard, but it's placed inside a soft outer casing, and I don't really notice it most of the time now.
The main problem I've had is keeping it on all night, especially in hot weather. Nevertheless, I've kept using it, and even with a less than 100% compliance, I believe it's made a difference. Ophthalmologist at hospital was interested in it, but finance not available to fund it on NHS.
Thanks for your info. - gosh that is very expensive - have you found it has helped your retinopathy at all?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes it's very expensive, but I haven't had to have any laser surgery since using it, so I believe it has helped, and feel it's worth sacrificing other things to fund it.

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your answers, it's something I know many Diabetics are currently or will face in the future, retinopathy I mean. The mask is something I might still consider if the price is worth it but saying that keeping your vision healthy for your whole life is definitely a great thing. I'm mostly hearing positives regarding this so may look into it more.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to add. You can buy one mask, and then if you decide it's not for you, you don't have to buy any more, so you're not tied into a contract. They ring you up a few days before your mask is due to finish, and ask if you'd like another one sending. No pressure, and you can have a break at any time between masks.
An optician comes out once a year and takes a photograph of the back of your eyes, and checks your eyes (not a slit lamp obviously).

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @JCBBFC27
I used the Noctura 400 eye mask for 2.5 years back in 2014 to 2017 ... i and my opthalmologist believe it did help to stabilise my eyes and i have needed no treatment since 2013 .....i stopped because i could not continue to afforf funding noctura and freestyle libre and figured getting total vision ( pun imtended ) of my blood sugars 24/7 would give me the best chance of keeping my eyes as healthy as possible

25wh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
May I ask what stage your diabetic retinopathy was at? And if you also have diabetic macular odema? Thank you

25wh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Hopeful34 and @himtoo please can you let me know a bit more about what stage your diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular odema was at? Thank you :)

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @25wh
I'd had laser surgery in both eyes for retinopathy, but didn't have macular oedema.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Hopeful34 and @himtoo please can you let me know a bit more about what stage your diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular odema was at? Thank you :)
I have retinopathy ( laser in 2002 and 2012 ) and diagnosed with maculopathy in 2013 --- eye injections in late 2013 and early 2014 ---- my macular odema has now disappeared since approx 2017 and have been stable since