Newly diagnosed

77Jan

Hello everyone
I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 6 months ago. I’m not on any medication yet.
Just told me to try and stay off the sugar.
Last week my nurse phoned me up and told me my sugar levels had gone higher and to watch what I’m eating and she will see me the end of the month.
Any advice appreciated please I need to change my diet but not sure where to start.
Is there a quick way to lower sugar levels
ThAnkyou
Janet

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone
I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 6 months ago. I’m not on any medication yet.
Last week my nurse phoned me up and told me my sugar levels had gone higher and to watch what I’m eating and she will see me the end of the month.
Any advice appreciated please I need to change my diet but not sure where to start.
Is there a quick way to lower sugar levels
ThAnkyou
Janet
Hi Janet,

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ should help you decide what to get on your next grocery run, as will dietdoctor.com and Dr. Jason Fung's book, The Diabetes Code. It's so nice and helpful when people tell you to watch what you eat, but don't tell you what exactly to be watching for! You're going to be okay, just takes a little adjustment. (And forgetting everything you think you know about healthy eating, as for a T2, it's all just about opposite!)

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: 77Jan and Diawara

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@77Jan I was given exactly the same advice when diagnosed - stay off the sugar but was not told that all carbs turn to sugar.

It took me over 4 years to find this site so you are already doing much better than I did when I was first diagnosed. I did find it eventually and by following the advice set out in @JoKalsbeek 's link was able to come off insulin and go into remission and have further progressed to diabetes resolved.

Reactions: 77Jan

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't put it any better than Jo, and her links are super helpful and well worth reading, but just to say it can be done and quite quickly by substantially lowering carbs. It's a bad time of year with all the Christmas treats that have appeared on shelves, but it is possible. Good luck!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stay off the sugar - not really all that useful.
Type two diabetics cannot cope with carbohydrates, that is starches and sugars, as they increase the glucose in our blood - which is bad.
You might find that having a blood glucose meter will help you get control, so you can see when you have eaten too much carbohydrate and have spiked your levels. By tweaking your menu, having lower carb foods avoiding bread, potatoes and other high carb foods your levels will drop down into normal levels.
I got a tee2 meter from Spirit Healthcare as the supplies are cheap enough to do all the required testing. I am told that if you phone up and order a fair few strips they will supply a meter for free. As a diabetic there is exemption from VAT.

Reemap

First advise would be get a meter to check your sugar levels. How the food reacts to your sugar spike. Check the meter before having a meal and after 2 hours.
Jo is the best person to advise and I have followed it and got my sugar in control .. don’t eat sugar is to be followed along with control the intake of your carbs.
If you are non veg you can increase the intake of egg, Fish and chicken. You can eat almost all the vegetables without an issue. You can try cauliflower rice it helps a lot. All the best for your diet.

77Jan

ThAnkyou all for the great advice I think I will try and get a meter so I can test my sugar. It was so helpful learning about carbs and really interesting I passed the information on to my mum who is also diabetic.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who agrees that you can't do better than start with Jo's advice. It an be very overwhelming when. diagnosed and the link gives a great place to start.

Good luck- keep reading around and ask questions- it's a friendly bunch on here.