Actual prediabetic hba1c?

Doireallyneedanams

I’ve noticed some NHS trusts are diagnosing prediabetes at an hba1c of 6% to 6.4% and this goes along with a lot of information online, however I was under the impression it was 5.7% to 6.4%.

Can anyone advise? I can’t believe different UK trusts use different criteria for the same disease.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve noticed some NHS trusts are diagnosing prediabetes at an hba1c of 6% to 6.4% and this goes along with a lot of information online, however I was under the impression it was 5.7% to 6.4%.

Can anyone advise? I can’t believe different UK trusts use different criteria for the same disease.

This should be what they use.. but GP surgeries can be a law unto themselves..
Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 09.48.22.png

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it might have to do with neat figures.
The cutoff for pre-diabetic fasting is >5.6 mmol/L so having the same cutoff for HbA1c >5.6% is a lovely coincidence even though they are completely different units.
Reading that agin sounds rubbish so probably just ignore me.

Doireallyneedanams

Conflicting info on fasting levels for prediabetes too. I could have sworn a fasting glucose of 5.5 and above was prediabetic in the UK which conflicts this.

Attachments

• 02B10C59-BDFA-4547-9F15-E485BD76DEE0.png
    02B10C59-BDFA-4547-9F15-E485BD76DEE0.png
    228.5 KB · Views: 170

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Conflicting info on fasting levels for prediabetes too. I could have sworn a fasting glucose of 5.5 and above was prediabetic in the UK which conflicts this.
FBG is incredibly variable some in the US use it to diagnose I'd say it moves around way too much for that.