Any suggestions for burning feet?

Caprock94

I was diagnosed about 18 months ago. No noticeable symptoms at diagnosis. Went low carb and quickly lowered my numbers into a non-diabetic A1C range within a few months. About 6 weeks in to it, I had an acute onset of burning type pain in my feet. It just showed up one day. No numbness, tingling, etc prior to that. Still with me today. It has varied in intensity over the last 18 months. Sometimes I think it is much better, and other times it feels like it did in the beginning.

My regular doctor said my blood flow to my feet is normal. I passed the monofilament test with ease. Not sure what to do about this. Has anyone else experienced this? Any hope of it getting better?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I was diagnosed about 18 months ago. No noticeable symptoms at diagnosis. Went low carb and quickly lowered my numbers into a non-diabetic A1C range within a few months. About 6 weeks in to it, I had an acute onset of burning type pain in my feet. It just showed up one day. No numbness, tingling, etc prior to that. Still with me today. It has varied in intensity over the last 18 months. Sometimes I think it is much better, and other times it feels like it did in the beginning.

My regular doctor said my blood flow to my feet is normal. I passed the monofilament test with ease. Not sure what to do about this. Has anyone else experienced this? Any hope of it getting better?
Hi @Caprock94 Is it like a very local burning pain, almost like a hot knife going through part of the foot? I can't pretend to know, but having had many gout attacks in my diabetic past, I just wonder. Is it both feet at the same time? Do they feel hot? Has your doctor suggested you elevate your foot and if it feels hot, stick it out of a window, or at least in a cold draught? I hope this sorts itself out quickly as I know how miserable it is. Good luck.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd something similar about 6 months post remission. Almost felt like my feet were in warm buckets of water, often hypersensitive. I'm told it's the process of nerves healing & can take a long time to resolve. Most days I don't even notice it anymore

Reactions: MargaretR

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have had this on occasion but it was passed off my doc as plantar fasciitis even through I thought that was supposed to be in a specific area. I ended up getting ice socks/slippers and that makes a difference when they are really painful. Also very good for cooling you down in a heatwave!

Caprock94

I'd something similar about 6 months post remission. Almost felt like my feet were in warm buckets of water, often hypersensitive. I'm told it's the process of nerves healing & can take a long time to resolve. Most days I don't even notice it anymore

This describes it well. How long did it take to see significant progress? Did you do anything in particular that helped?

Caprock94

I have had this on occasion but it was passed off my doc as plantar fasciitis even through I thought that was supposed to be in a specific area. I ended up getting ice socks/slippers and that makes a difference when they are really painful. Also very good for cooling you down in a heatwave!

Ice socks! That sounds great right about now.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ice socks! That sounds great right about now.
For me it was real deep heel pain and I found these amazing ones that have a small icepack for the top of the foot and longer ice packs for all of the base of your foot. You chuck the four packs in the freezer and put them in the top and bottom of the socks and voila... icy socks heaven! Also very useful for cooling you down in heatwaves!

I don't think I can put the links in here but Amazon have them for sure.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This describes it well. How long did it take to see significant progress? Did you do anything in particular that helped?

Not really, got comfy shoes for work & thicker socks.
I remember reading that it may take as many years for the damage to repair as the years you ran high in the first place, not sure if true though.
I had an issue with my thigh being hypersensitive too though & that's completly resolved so I've high hopes.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Couple of things to consider: If you are taking metformin, it can make you vitamin B 12 deficient. One of the symptoms? Nerve issues in your extremities. So if the doc's ruled out (healing) peripheral neuropathy, you might want to try a vit B12 supplement for a bit, see whether that helps. If it doesn't, well, you could get your thyroid checked, as one of the symptoms of a wonky thyroid is burning soles of the feet. For me it also helped to get walking shoes with thick soles. They're not cute or stylish, but by god, it was so nice to finally be able to walk! ;)

Anyway, I hope you'll feel better soon. And cold packs... Have a lot of them handy!
Jo

Caprock94

Couple of things to consider: If you are taking metformin, it can make you vitamin B 12 deficient. One of the symptoms? Nerve issues in your extremities. So if the doc's ruled out (healing) peripheral neuropathy, you might want to try a vit B12 supplement for a bit, see whether that helps. If it doesn't, well, you could get your thyroid checked, as one of the symptoms of a wonky thyroid is burning soles of the feet. For me it also helped to get walking shoes with thick soles. They're not cute or stylish, but by god, it was so nice to finally be able to walk! ;)

Anyway, I hope you'll feel better soon. And cold packs... Have a lot of them handy!
Jo

Thank you for the advice!

Caprock94

Not really, got comfy shoes for work & thicker socks.
I remember reading that it may take as many years for the damage to repair as the years you ran high in the first place, not sure if true though.
I had an issue with my thigh being hypersensitive too though & that's completly resolved so I've high hopes.

Glad to hear you got better. Mine has been a roller coaster. Seems like I am getting better, and then something triggers it. Blood sugar has stayed pretty stable.