Cheese rising blood sugar.

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've been switched to Tresiba and have far better control over Lantus. No continuous drops during sleeping and the the first time today I actually had a flat decent line. No sudden drops or sudden rise. Ratios worked perfect and even though there was a small drop (3.8) in the morning because I'm use to injecting one more unit to cope with the morning rise, it worked fine.

Was hungry before bed. Blood sugar was 5.8 and sometimes I do drop a tad bit while sleeping (a lot less than Lantus). Had some cheese before, not alot but to prevent me feeling hungry and try to keep blood sugar levels above 6.

I know protein can affect you blood sugar and sometimes when I eat low carb meals for example a omelette without carbs it does rise by 2-3 levels.

Do you think I might need maybe 1 unit of insulin to cover the protein? I'm learning about certain fats and proteins that can affect your blood sugar but nothing I found on Google indicates basic cheese impacts your blood sugar levels.

As you can see with the graph below it's climbing slowly and debating to have 1 unit of insulin incase it rises above 10 during sleeping. It was maybe a thin slice of mature cheese. Half a inch at most.

Also the libre has been great. This past month I've been amazed on my target range =).

Thanks for any feed back =).
Screenshot_20201126-021043.jpg

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We are all different. But it is common to protein count for low/no carb meals and use half the carb ratio for insulin dose.
For example, if you usually have 1 unit of insulin for every 10g carbs, for low/no carb meals, you may need 1 unit of insulin for 20g protein.

However, the rise may be due to your evening meal and not the cheese. For example, I find pasta, pizza and curry can affect my blood sugars 5 hours after eating.

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We are all different. But it is common to protein count for low/no carb meals and use half the carb ratio for insulin dose.
For example, if you usually have 1 unit of insulin for every 10g carbs, for low/no carb meals, you may need 1 unit of insulin for 20g protein.

However, the rise may be due to your evening meal and not the cheese. For example, I find pasta, pizza and curry can affect my blood sugars 5 hours after eating.
Thabk you =). Yeah my bloods tend to rise with protein. For example I had a plain omelette in the evening and was fine for 2 hours (5.5) but 4th hour started to rise and hit 9.0. So from now on going to take a unit or so depending how many grams of protein there is.

Thank you for the feedback =).

Reactions: In Response

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I agree with @In Response. Also, it may depend on how much basal insulin you're taking. Some people's basal can cover rises due to carb-free meals or snacks. I'm on a low dose of basal, so have to correct for everything I eat, including cheese. I correct after my BS starts to rise and not before I eat.

Reactions: oldgreymare