GD Avoiding hypos

GNu

Hi everyone,
I’m very new here and still trying to navigate my way through the website and forum, sorry if this question has been asked before.

I recently got diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Which is sort of a relief because I can finally give a name to symptoms I experienced such as abdominal pain, tiredness and the worst off all; hypos!

I get hypos several times a week and the time it takes to recover is 2-3 hours at least. I end up feeling very faint and can’t do anything other than rest. It really affects my daily functioning...

So my main question is what can I do to avoid having hypos other than trying to eat regularly? (I’m not taking medication, only testing my blood).

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
talk to diabetic team and try to get a insulin pump with cgm( continuous glucose monitor ) with insulin suspend e.g Medtronic 640g or 780g which for me has stopped hypos or just get the cgm if not taking insulin

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@GNu when you say you are not taking any medication, does that include insulin?
If so, a pump, as suggested by @Angusc is not relevant.

It is unusual to experience hypos without blood sugar lowering medication such as insulin. You may find it useful to read about reactive hypoglycaemia. I apologies but I know very little about this. I believe (sorry if I am incorrect) @Brunneria experiences this so may provide some advice.

If you are taking medication such as insulin for your diabetes, I recommend discussing your hypos with your diabetes team and possibly redcucing your dose.

Reactions: GNu

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
a cgm would warn you before hypos e.g. freesytle libre, meditonic guardian 3, Dexcom 6 and show how your blood sugars are behaving while your not testing and your diabetic team should be able to provide you with one. this would allow you to see the patterns of blood sugar changes and help you avoid hypo's

Reactions: GNu