NERVES!!!!

knopfler

Hi,Is there anybody there who can give me some advice regarding alcohol & metformin?As previously stated on here,i have suffered with anxiety for over 30 years & have used alcohol to self medicate as medication has never done anything to help me.I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic a few weeks ago & was given 500mg metformin to take.Today was the first day where i had to start taking two a day.I have had no effects at all to the metformin & have kept off alcohol for the last six weeks.However,today has been the day from hell & as i sit here am suffering a panic attack.When i am like this i have sat here & drank 3/4 bottles of red wine to get me to sleep.Can anybody advise me on how much i can drink as i am desperate?My blood tests revealed my liver & kidneys were ok & my Dr rang me today as i requested a blood glucose meter so i can do tests at home but he told me i have no need to do them & has instead referred me to a course called" diabetes & you".I would be really grateful for any advise as i don't know how much longer i can cope-THANK YOU!!!!

sarahmunchkin

Hi there, I myself am very new to Metformin (infact, I start tomorrow) but I am very surprised that other more experienced subscribers haven't bothered to respond to you. (I notice that as a newbie myself I have had very little response to my questions....) I cannot answer your question but I am sorry to hear that you are having such a bad day. From what little I have read about Metformin and alcohol, it seems that a lot of people do drink without problems or side effects but this is only what I have read. I dont think a drink tonight would hurt but maybe just a couple and see from there how you feel? I hope you have a better day tomorrow. Good luck

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm afraid you don't get much of a response on here after 10pm, most of the members on here actively post daytime or early evening.

It is a bit of a tricky question knopfler as your reasons for drinking aren't the social type that most folks on here have experience of. Saying that I've not had any problems with alcohol and metformin although the maximum I have drunk is about 2 bottles of wine and I am on a much larger dose metformin than you.

RussG

Hi,

It's not so much that people cannot be bothered to respond but rather that there are often fewer people around at this time of night.

@Knopfler
I think the difficulty is that nobody is going to be able to tell you that you can drink more that the recommend daily amount. Many people drink a moderate amount of alcohol without any real difficulty and the risks on metformin are pretty slim. However I don't know what the effect of drinking beyond that would be. Other than the standard advice there is no 'safe' limit of alcohol to drink. If you rely on alcohol to cope that I think you would really be best talking to your doctor about possible interactions.

Have you read the basic advice that we give to diabetics about diet and control etc?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
RussG said:
Hi,

It's not so much that people cannot be bothered to respond but rather that there are often fewer people around at this time of night.

@Knopfler
I think the difficulty is that nobody is going to be able to tell you that you can drink more that the recommend daily amount. Many people drink a moderate amount of alcohol without any real difficulty and the risks on metformin are pretty slim. However I don't know what the effect of drinking beyond that would be. Other than the standard advice there is no 'safe' limit of alcohol to drink. If you rely on alcohol to cope that I think you would really be best talking to your doctor about possible interactions.

Have you read the basic advice that we give to diabetics about diet and control etc?

Hi Knopfler
This is my post that Russ is referring to just to refresh your memory in case you want to go back and look at it again:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=25567&p=234630#p234665

If you have any questions, please ask.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The main side effect of metaformin and alcohol is stated as lactic acidosis. There's information on the syptoms on google that are worth a read.
From personal experience, I've drunk that much in one go, but I have avoided alcohol for the next few days, and let it wash out of my system as it were.

Have a look at

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25269

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
I tried Metformin very briefly. 1 alcoholic drink and within 10 minutes i had a hangover that lasted late pm next day. Doctor put me on the stuff straight away but i decided to give a diet the chance to work and so far it has. I was given a slow release type and it certaily made me ill when taken with alcohol. My mum takes a standard type with no side effects whatsoever.

Andy

Grazer

sarahmunchkin said:
(I notice that as a newbie myself I have had very little response to my questions

Think that's a bit sharp. Most of us go out of our way to answer newbie questions.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Just to add my tuppence-worth from personal experience:

Since being diagnosed Type 2 I have realised that in my heaviest drinking days (about 1.5 bottles of red wine in a night) I was regularly having alcohol-induced hypos - waking up in the night drenched in sweat and with my heart pounding so much I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Only since becoming diabetic and reading up on hypos have I realised what was happening. Now I moderate my drinking and don't drink every day, though I can still manage a bottle if pushed!

I take 500mg Metformin 3x daily. You can still have alcohol-induced hypos when on Metformin, so it's best to treat the alcohol with respect. The one thing that I try to be mindful of (with varying success, I admit) is that alcohol causes inflammation throughout the body, including the pancreas and the liver. The role of inflammation in health is becoming more and more understood, and more and more important.

I'm not going to give up my red wine, and I'm not going to stand in judgment over anyone else about their drinking habits. We are all intelligent adults who are able to find the info and take decisions for ourselves. You're obviously not an alcoholic, Knopfler, if you can stay off the stuff for six weeks - well done! You may find, now, that one bottle has the same effect as 3 or 4 used to. You will certainly feel it more next morning !

I hope I don't sound preachy at all, 'cause that's not how this is meant. I watched my father die of whisky, and I don't intend it to happen to me, so it's a subject I do take very seriously.

Hope you're feeling better today, Knopfler! :D

Viv 8)

knopfler

Thanks everybody for your fabulous advice & time taken to post a reply.Thanks to the nerves i had no choice but to risk having a drink last night as i just couldn't calm down.I got to the point where i couldn't breath,palpitations,sweating & the thought i was going to die.I ended up drinking two bottles of Jacobs Creek Grenache Shiraz which calmed me down & i went to bed.After a fabulous nights sleep i got up,made my cup of tea & had my breakfast.I have had no effects whatsoever & feel brilliant.After reading the posts that people have left me i am considering leaving the metformin alone.I am going to get a blood glucose meter myself as my gp refuses to let me have one & seeing as i have cut my carbs down to 130-140g a day am hoping i can control things by diet alone.I have bought a motorised treadmill which i am going to spend an hour a day on & see how i go on.Any advice would be greatly appreciated if anybody feels i need any.Once again,thanks a million,you're all stars!!!! :D

knopfler

Hello everybody,just an update on things.Because i feel i need to rely on alcohol to help me with my nerves i took the decision to stop taking the metformin.I got myself a blood glucose meter along with the lancets & strips as my gp refused to let me have any.I have been on a low carb diet which aint been easy at times but i have stuck to it & done my best to stick to 130g a day.I have done 3 tests up to now & my readings have been 4.2 4.3 & 4.8.I am also doing sit ups to try & get my waistline down & an hour a day on my treadmill.I cannot believe how i am now to a few months ago & i realise i have to keep this up for life but i feel so much better for it.When i was first diagnosed i was frightened to death but i want to thank you all on this website for the fabulous help & advice you gave me as it was so needed.I know it's a long road ahead but knowing you are all there makes it a hell of a lot easier.Thank you guys,you're all amazing!!! :D

WhitbyJet

Knopfler welcome to the forum from me too .
I think you have made some pretty good decisions in reducing carb intake and getting hold me a meter. You night also want to get yourself a carb counting book something like Collins Gem Carb Counter.
I note that you have a real struggle with nerves. Panic attacks are most definitely scary each and every time you have one me those you think you are going to die. Then afterwards you are surprised to find that you survived and already you start worrying about the next panic attack coming along.
I suffered with disabling panic attacks for a couple me years after the birth of my second child. So much energy spent on trying to deal with the panics. But eventually I worked out how to lose the fear of these panic attacks instead of adding fear to fear and making things worse.
I read the books by Dr Clare Weekes. I read many books but hers are written in such a style that you think she is sitting right these with you helping you through. She describes how to face a panic attack how to just sit there and let it wash over you to let it do its worst to you.
I reached the stage where I was willing to try it I didn't enjoy life very much anyway pm he there came a panic attack to see me off then so be it.
My lovely ever so patient and supportive husband helped to talk me through am actual panic attack it was murder I couldn't breathe he encouraged me to relax and slowly breathe in and out me a paper bag. I was hyperventilating me course but I die my best to relax and sure enough the panic left me. I felt so reassured by thisi If I could do it once then I could try this again and maybe manage even better next time.
And so gradually I became more confident and lost the fear of panic and so they stopped coming along.
Drinking so much alcohol is not the best thing that you can do as Viv pointed out already.
It would best if you drank a bit of wine for enjoyment instead as a remedy for panic attacks.
If you should need any help with those panic attacks get in touch with me.
All the best