Newley Diagnosed

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Well I am here and have been secretly stalking the threads for a little while - three weeks to be precise lol, trying to gain some knowledge after a random wee test picked up sugar, and blood tests confirmed type 2 diabetes and very high bg readings the gp said:arghh:
I have in the past tried to be careful with what I eat, steered away from fats etc but now have had to change my way of thinking and go low carb, high fat etc. Ironically I was nearly 14 stone before diagnosis which prompted me to lose weight in the first place, before diagnosis I had lost 1.5 stone. Since diagnosis I am currently just under 12 stone. I exercise three times a week which I think is helping with the weight loss together with the cutting carbs etc. I feel happier clothes fit lol:)
My gp wanted to put me on meds but I declined, I said I wanted to try diet and exercise, she reluctantly gave the go ahead and signed me up for Oviva. Have been provided with a BG monitor. My readings vary a lot. I am finding that porridge oats spike my bg readings really badly 21. My morning readings can vary between 9 up to 15. Dawn phenomena? I have noticed I am not as hungry now and very rarely get hunger pangs since going LCHF. I eat avocado, leafy green veg, oily fish, chicken breast, pork a little fruit but Fage % rockets the bg level.
I try to have something to eat before I go to bed cottage cheese and that helps the high readings in the morning sometimes. I also drink decaf green tea. When I exercise the readings jump down, I have thought about exercising everyday but don't want burn out!
My question is how long will it take for my readings to return to a normal level, and is there anything else I can do. I know this is for life - I cannot go back to the diet I had before which was very carb - white rice, gluten free pasta ( I cannot eat wholemeal or anything with wheat), I bloat if I eat anything wheat based. I do take other meds for high blood pressure and I am asthmatic. ;)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I am here and have been secretly stalking the threads for a little while - three weeks to be precise lol, trying to gain some knowledge after a random wee test picked up sugar, and blood tests confirmed type 2 diabetes and very high bg readings the gp said:arghh:
I have in the past tried to be careful with what I eat, steered away from fats etc but now have had to change my way of thinking and go low carb, high fat etc. Ironically I was nearly 14 stone before diagnosis which prompted me to lose weight in the first place, before diagnosis I had lost 1.5 stone. Since diagnosis I am currently just under 12 stone. I exercise three times a week which I think is helping with the weight loss together with the cutting carbs etc. I feel happier clothes fit lol:)
My gp wanted to put me on meds but I declined, I said I wanted to try diet and exercise, she reluctantly gave the go ahead and signed me up for Oviva. Have been provided with a BG monitor. My readings vary a lot. I am finding that porridge oats spike my bg readings really badly 21. My morning readings can vary between 9 up to 15. Dawn phenomena? I have noticed I am not as hungry now and very rarely get hunger pangs since going LCHF. I eat avocado, leafy green veg, oily fish, chicken breast, pork a little fruit but Fage % rockets the bg level.
I try to have something to eat before I go to bed cottage cheese and that helps the high readings in the morning sometimes. I also drink decaf green tea. When I exercise the readings jump down, I have thought about exercising everyday but don't want burn out!
My question is how long will it take for my readings to return to a normal level, and is there anything else I can do. I know this is for life - I cannot go back to the diet I had before which was very carb - white rice, gluten free pasta ( I cannot eat wholemeal or anything with wheat), I bloat if I eat anything wheat based. I do take other meds for high blood pressure and I am asthmatic. ;)
Hello @Lainie71 , and welcome,

Since you've been "lurking" for a while, you probably already came across The Nutritional Thingy, as I scatter it about quite a bit, but just in case: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help. And yeah, oats, anything with grain/wheat etc would be a bad idea. Not just because it gives you some bloating, but because it'll raise blood sugars. For breakfast you're better off with eggs and proper full fat greek yoghurt rather than fage. (What they take out in fats, they put in in carbs.... Otherwise there's no flavour or bulk at all. So anything low fat's usually bad news for a diabetic). There are alternatives to porridge (keto coconut porridge, you might want to give it a google), but you'd probably do fine on full fat greek yoghurt with some berries and maybe coconut shavings or some low carb nuts tossed in, like pecans or walnuts. The best choice'd be, considering that you're seeing 15's in the a.m., eggs with bacon and/or cheese, maybe some high meat content sausages alongside. Or a nice salmon omelette or something. It's filling and won't budge your blood sugars. But, yes... In the morning you're probably experiencing Dawn Phenomenon... It'll take a long time for your liver to not dump a whole lot of glucose in the morning. For me it was about 6 months before that let up. If you keep eating low carb it'll follow suit though, with the res of your daily readings.

By the way, carbs are inflammatory by nature... You could well find your asthma improves some when you cut carbs. I know mine doesn't bother me half as much.

Good luck!
Jo

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi and welcome to the forum(s).

You seem to be on the right track, cut the carbs and don't count the calories.
Eat Low(er) Carb and fill in with more Protein and more fat - animal fats aren't bad for either your heart or your waistline unless eaten to excess. And by excess I mean well over 500gm of hard cheese per day (I often eat up to 400 gms).

I've never tried Fage 0%, but I eat full fat Greek style yogurt and my BG meter tells me that it doesn't hurt my BG. In fact if I eat that, or cheese, or eggs for breakfast it can stop my Dawn Phenomenon in its tracks and actually lower my BG.

The only thing you mention that I would be cautious about is that 'a little fruit'. A few berries together with full fat plain yogurt is fine for me and most others, but tropical fruit (and for me even an apple) is a bad idea!

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi many thanks for your replies, my husband is now munching on the Fage 5% and I have got full fat yogurt the Lancashire one. I also bought some fresh full cream and have had that with some, chia seeds & sesame seeds. The thing is I usually have goats semi skimmed milk and have never had fresh cream as I do bloat with cows milk. Now I am bloated lol as I have been having yogurt that is made from cows milk and fresh cream. I have always bloated when I have had eggs too, I am just wondering if I am sensitive to dairy now specifically cows milk . Should I just carry on as I did and have goats milk in my tea (semi skimmed) and try the goats milk full cream? The thing is the cream did not really effect my readings and filled me up. Incidentally I have never been able to eat cheese as it would give me a huge migraine, yet I can eat cream cheese :banghead:
My readings are going down a little, this morning although still high, (when I started this journey they topped 21), it was 10.3 upon waking so I had a cream tea (coffee also gives me a headache), I did not feel hungry until about 11:30am so had an egg, chicken and mushroom omelette with unsweetened almond oil, I also chucked some wilted spinach in with a little olive oil and lightly fried it. I took my reading 2 hours later and it was 13.2:arghh:
Would I still get the same amount of nutrients from goats milk/cream. I have noticed that my joints click more than normal and my thighs hurt when on the exercise bike, but that wears off after about 10 minutes. I take a beetroot supplement and a sugar free vitamin c as well as a hair and nails supplement. Is there anything else I could take. Luckily I love fish so I eat as much as I can now!

wtfnub

I’ve just been diagnosed.

I had a fasting blood test on Thursday - Friday and I got the results at 8am today when my GP phoned me, my fasting blood test came back with a score of 30 point something.

My doctor took more blood from me today and gave me an Accura Performa a blood monitoring thingy and stuck me on metformin and Glimepiride. I should get the results of that blood test midweek.

Hopefully my vision and fatigue will get better and my hair to start regrowing again.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I’ve just been diagnosed.

I had a fasting blood test on Thursday - Friday and I got the results at 8am today when my GP phoned me, my fasting blood test came back with a score of 30 point something.

My doctor took more blood from me today and gave me an Accura Performa a blood monitoring thingy and stuck me on metformin and Glimepiride. I should get the results of that blood test midweek.

Hopefully my vision and fatigue will get better and my hair to start regrowing again.

Hia my hair starting thinning before I was diagnosed not sure if it is related or not.

wtfnub

Hia my hair starting thinning before I was diagnosed not sure if it is related or not.

My hair is thinning and has left some see through patches, it has also slowed or stopped growing altogether, and from the few hours that I have spent online regarding diabetes and hair stopping growing and falling out.

It’s seems to be one of the side effects, fingers crossed that with these two meds, my hair will grow back.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My hair is thinning and has left some see through patches, it has also slowed or stopped growing altogether, and from the few hours that I have spent online regarding diabetes and hair stopping growing and falling out.

It’s seems to be one of the side effects, fingers crossed that with these two meds, my hair will grow back.

Hopefully you will see improvement, I am new to all this so I hope my hair starts to recover - being a hairdresser by trade I have run out of ways to disguise the thinning and now resorted to hats.