The moment the letter from Diabetic Retina Screening drops through your door

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Came home this evening, noticed an opened letter on the fridge with my name on it.
Wife had opened it thinking it was a bank statement or bill.
I'm Irish based so this is how we receive them.
The GP, who get a more detailed report, never calls beforehand, just goes in your file.

Last years scan picked background retinopathy, 2 vessels in one eye were identified as problematic.
It was the surgery nurse who actually told me the specifics although she said it was very mild & not to worry.
Of course I worried & probably lost a few nights sleep.

Anyway, as you know these letters don't open with confetti or a big x like family fortunes, you have to start reading through their carefully worded language.
I believe I've been given the all clear, amazing what a year of good control can bring.
Genuine punch the air moment.

Screen1.jpg

I quizzed the wife why she never rang with my results, we had been talking earlier in the day.
"Cause you never were diabetic!!!" I get this a lot when I bring it up.
She herself had GD on our last child so she knows what diabetic figures look like.
It took me a month post diagnosis to get a meter & she, nor I, have ever seen diabetic numbers so I don't get any sympathy there.
Think I might enjoy a glass of dry red tonight, 2021 is getting better already.

[Mod image edit.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations!
I have an appointment for a screening tomorrow afternoon, nearly a year late. NHS England organises the screening direct, although I think they copy the results to my GP. Normally one of my daughters gives me a lift but with Covid I am having to walk the 5 mile round trip to the hospital.

Reactions: Ronancastled