Home testing

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My recent visit with the GP nurse ( not diabetic nurse) said I should never have been given a home testing kit. She also said that if type 2’s continually check by getting blood from their fingers it will make the finger tips lose sensation and have neuropathy in them.

is this true?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No.. nursey is an idiot.. one of many allegedly working in "Our NHS" ..... absolutely appalling advice..

Last edited:

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No.. nrusey is an idiot.. one of many allegedly working in "Our NHS" ..... absolutely appalling advice..
Stupid woman then.... why do they do this it’s bad enough to be scared by their words that heading towards a stroke or heart attack is an eventuality but telling lies makes my sticky blood boil

Reactions: BRSBRI

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stupid woman then.... why do they do this it’s bad enough to be scared by their words that heading towards a stroke or heart attack is an eventuality but telling lies makes my sticky blood boil

Agree. The difficulty kicks in when there isn't an alternative information source of people who have been living with a condition.

Home testing is probably the best action I've done following dx..... as well as going low carb.

Reactions: gilllsmaad

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good grief ! I think you need to report that to whoever gave you the testing kit. They can put this crazy person right and give them some real information. It sounds as if your nurse has had no training in dealing with any type of diabetes at all.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If that was the case, all of us with Type 1 would have no sensation in our finger tips. After 17 years of pricking my finger at least 6 times a day, my fingers still feel as much as they used to.

I say "poppycock" to your GP Nurse.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does the nurse drive a car, but only look at the speedo once every 3,6 or 12 months!! and depending what meds you are on testing is a legal requirement before you drive

Reactions: BRSBRI and hankjam

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My recent visit with the GP nurse ( not diabetic nurse) said I should never have been given a home testing kit. She also said that if type 2’s continually check by getting blood from their fingers it will make the finger tips lose sensation and have neuropathy in them.

is this true?
I was told by my DN that she doesn’t encourage T2s testing as it makes the fingers sore. I responded that I’d rather have sore fingers than no fingers!

gilllsmaad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If that was the case, all of us with Type 1 would have no sensation in our finger tips. After 17 years of pricking my finger at least 6 times a day, my fingers still feel as much as they used to.

I say "poppycock" to your GP Nurse.
I did think that whilst I was there but said nothing

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I hope you can avoid this person in the future.... for your own well being.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
That's mad advice. My goodness! Ignore it - I'd report her too. I already rely on the meter so I know what works and what doesn't...

Even this cat is perplexed... 2xp2s0.png

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

is this true?
You really need to ask her how T1 diabetics can manage to avoid this issue.