Where to start?

janetteh

Hi, I was diagnosed as prediabetic by my GP 5 months ago after a blood test. I have been throwing myself into various diets with no success, I lose weight and then I regain it. I decided to look here at the prediabetic recipe book for breakfasts. Is this the right forum to ask if skimmed milk is an acceptable alternative to unsweetended almond milk? Is almond milk of specific benefit to those who are prediabetic? It seems ot feature a lot in breakfasta inthe downloaded recipes. I've added 150 minutes a week of exercise to my routine because I'm obese and I need to lose about 6 stone.Thanks.

SarahEN

Its weird when you first start looking into this and all your accepted notions of what's good for you are turned on their head.

Basically cows milk has lactose in it, which is a carb & metabolises into glucose, which is the thing you don't want to happen when you trying to stop being or avoid being diabetic. All Carbs metabolise into glucose eventually at different rates, which is why so many of us avoid carbs &/or limit them.

An example: 400ml of skimmed milk has 20g of carbs whereas the same amount of almond milk has almost none. For some diabetics that 20g would be all the carbs they could day in a day.

But as a prediabetic you probably don't need to be that strict. It depends on how much milk you drink - if it's a dash in coffee or tea I doubt it's going to make a big difference. But if you have alot it will.
Also - you don't need to go with skimmed Milk if you go low carb. Full fat dairy is fine - fat is not the problem - which is why you'll see so many on here having cream in coffee!

Reactions: janetteh

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's all to do with carbs. The skinnier the milk the higher the carbs. I just don't get on with almond or soy milk.

I have a splash of ss in tea and coffee is double cream.

Reactions: SarahEN

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @janetteh and welcome

The dietdoctor.com website is a great source of information about food (I’ve linked to a page about milk). It’ll let you know carb values and give menu/recipe ideas.

The food you eat will have a much greater impact on your blood sugars and weight than exercise - as the cliche goes, you can’t out-run a bad diet. Although the exercise will bring plenty of health benefits, speaking from experience, don’t overdo it at first as you risk injury.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To return to normal numbers keeping your blood glucose levels in the normal range ought to do it.
Weight gain is a symptom of being unable to deal with the carbohydrate in a modern diet, so trying to lose weight is only dealing with a symptom, not the reason for it.
As you are not in the diabetic range, just a few swaps, to remove some of the carbs you eat ought to make a difference quite quickly.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and Welcome - you have been given some good advice above to get you started ...

Reactions: janetteh