Metformin

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is there any difference with sukkatro and metformin and why have some people been changed to sukkarto

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sukkarto is a trade name for the generic medicine Metformin. There are others, I currently have Glucophage which is another trade name. I think the NHS and pharmacies will choose the cheapest available at time of prescribing and dispensing.

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the explanation I thought it might be the reason,was a bit disappointed as I'd been on glucophage for a long time but it's not the end of the world.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Per Dr. Bernstein the Glucophage brand is more effective than generic metformin based on his practice experience. I get every time a different company not even the same one. I am not sure if we can request Glucophage in particular or whether its even available in UK?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Per Dr. Bernstein the Glucophage brand is more effective than generic metformin based on his practice experience. I get every time a different company not even the same one. I am not sure if we can request Glucophage in particular or whether its even available in UK?

I can’t comment on the efficacy of different brands of Metformin, but just wanted to say that yes, Glucophage is available in the UK, it’s the brand I having been receiving for the last 18 months or so.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The metformin used in the U.S for conditions like polycystic ovaries before 1999 was the basic metformin not long release. The UK started long release based on manufacturing specifications. Which was for diabetes.
Myself have used all variations. When all weights. Myself I feel more benefit with regular exercise and stable meals. Even working shifts and in exhaustion.
I have used all variations with mixed or separate insulin too.
Currently I'm using regular metformin from any pharms. Long release isn't recommended after Roux-en-y ops due to where the med works as it's releasing. Also side effects can be more difficult to treat with long release. I may know even more about metformin side effects after removal of my gallbladder.
Dr Bernstein is absolutely brilliant at showing the light on best diet for Diabetics. He's an inspiration. He believes we should be treated as individuals when medicating for diabetes.

Reactions: finsit