Expired Testing Strips

Laconic

Haven’t tested for a while my accu chek performs nano strips expired November 2020, spoke to pharmacist who said there must be something in them and they won’t give an accurate reading now, just wondered if I can still use or I should put them in the bin?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm using out of date strips at the moment, and checked results against in date ones, and they were as close as 2 tests consecutively with in date test strips, so I'm happily using the out of date ones.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think its more a case of they might work fine, but also may not, probably on a single strip basis, so 9/10 might be right but the other may not be and well how will you know without another to compare to

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Use them. They’ll be fine.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think its more a case of they might work fine, but also may not, probably on a single strip basis, so 9/10 might be right but the other may not be and well how will you know without another to compare to
Tried comparing them more than once, and also readings are consistent with Libre scan and xdrip, so I'm more than happy that they're ok, but everyone must make up their own mind.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I just found a pot which was well out of date.
My half full pot is on the cusp, and the hidden pot was much older so I won't be using it.
Failure on the stock control front.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I'm currently using a pot thats several years out of date without issue and they tally with what I expect (match dexcom)

So if they are all you have use them.. If they are just past use them.. But if you have access to in date strips use the in date ones

In most cases the date is there as a legal requirement.. Just like food but I tend to use milk 3 days past its best before etc

Just be aware that there is always a risk though of an issue

Reactions: SueO246

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I fact I've just found some I must use soon
c4d8cd60437611b669c07ef983422911.jpg