Pre result stress?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it just me or does everybody else worry about their results? I finally managed to get my hba1c tested on Monday (DN chat next week) after 18 months then, as I have had some days when I've had a few too many carbs then usual, I promptly spent a couple of days worrying about the results! I've just been into DiabetesMyWaySomerset and found that I needn't have worried as my hba1c is down by 1.00 to 36 and my cholesterol is 5.00 (overall ratio 3.84 so may have to address this), 4.5kg down so overall not too bad - still having Tuna salad for lunch though!!

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Jen6

Yes it like you are awaiting exam results pass or fail lol
Had my blood taken on the 24th telephone app to get results 15th April seems ages away.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I get ridiculously nervous every time, even though I test enough to know I'm doing well :facepalm:.
It's one of the reasons I requested to have an appointment only once a year (which is now close to 18 months as well, as I found a perfect excuse in the pandemic to postpone).

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Congrats on the great results. And yes, I do get a bit nervous about them, but my estimate in my head is pretty close to the results. Still, I think it's fairly normal to get somewhat nervous about them.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jen6, @Antje77, @Tophat1900 and @Mrs T 123 I know what you mean - I know my readings were ok as FBS has been mostly between 4.7 and 5.8 and after eating they were fairly respectable at between 5.6 and 7.8 at the 2 hour point but there’s always that little doubt isn’t there?

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

Tannith

BANNED
@Jen6, @Antje77, @Tophat1900 and @Mrs T 123 I know what you mean - I know my readings were ok as FBS has been mostly between 4.7 and 5.8 and after eating they were fairly respectable at between 5.6 and 7.8 at the 2 hour point but there’s always that little doubt isn’t there?
Does your BS at the 2 hour point stay the same (approx) no matter what you've eaten? Or is it more when you eat more carbs? How many grams carbs had you eaten in the meals before the 5.6 and 7.8 2 hour readings?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t worry about results as much as I get peeved by the way they are interpreted by the (inevitable, new - they tend to have a high turnover of staff at the surgery) nurse doing the review. No matter what the numbers are, they generally want to tell me to eat ‘healthy carbs’ such as brown rice, baked potatoes, wholemeal bread, etc. and low fat yogurts. Oh and not to worry if my blood glucose levels increase, as there are plenty of medications they can prescribe. It gets tedious.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I don’t worry about results as much as I get peeved by the way they are interpreted by the (inevitable, new - they tend to have a high turnover of staff at the surgery) nurse doing the review. No matter what the numbers are, they generally want to tell me to eat ‘healthy carbs’ such as brown rice, baked potatoes, wholemeal bread, etc. and low fat yogurts. Oh and not to worry if my blood glucose levels increase, as there are plenty of medications they can prescribe. It gets tedious.
They literally have no clue do they :rolleyes:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I was more concerned this time because I have been eating more carbs than usual and not had an hba1c for 18 months so wasn’t entirely sure how I was doing. I’d never been asked by my DN what my diet was and, since my GP annotated my notes as ‘statin intolerant’ she didn’t dwell on that either apart from advise low fat yoghurts and skimmed milk etc. However my appt next week is with the new DN in the practice so that will be interesting.

Reactions: Pipp and Antje77

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get my results on line. It’s very variable how long they take to show up, anywhere between later the same day and four days on! I hope my Drs surgery don’t see how many times I log into Patient Access whilst waiting for them! :joyful:

Reactions: Daphne917

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does your BS at the 2 hour point stay the same (approx) no matter what you've eaten? Or is it more when you eat more carbs? How many grams carbs had you eaten in the meals before the 5.6 and 7.8 2 hour readings?
I regularly do my FBS but not always test during the day as I know the number of carbs in my b/fast and lunch and, if I’m honest, I tend to guess the number of carbs for some meals and, if I think it’s quite a lot, I test to see the effect. I usually do the 1 hour and 2 hour point and, if I’m experimenting, the 3 hour point as well so I can see the trend. I’m having a 2 week trial for Libre soon so that may be interesting or worrying!!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get my results on line. It’s very variable how long they take to show up, anywhere between later the same day and four days on! I hope my Drs surgery don’t see how many times I log into Patient Access whilst waiting for them! :joyful:
I can’t get my results on line from the surgery but Somerset rolled out DiabetesMyWay a couple of years ago so I get my hba1c, and cholesterol through the ‘back door’. I left it until Wednesday morning to log in with a mix of eager anticipation and trepidation.

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've become ✻desensitised✻ to poor diabetes test results ..of a certain age, I study a 'treatment algorithm' in much the same way as I do my Pension forecast ..the law of cumulative benefits giving way to the law of diminishing returns.

Reactions: Daphne917