urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all. Latest update. I've lost 4 kg in 6 weeks. Blood sugar level. Improved. Also noticed pulse rate improved. It used to be 85 bpm. Now around 75 bpm. Thank you for video about strength training. I will be starting that soon.

Impressive!
upload_2021-4-12_17-9-52.png

Reactions: HSSS

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That is good news
How are you doing with low carb?
If you need more help then another source, linked from this site, is the lowcarbprogram which has meal plans, recipes, and videos over a 16 week course.
Exercise can help but low carb can do more (I get very little exercise due to other health conditions but lost loads of weight in addition to getting into remission).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your achievements so far.

I’ve just seen your comment on ferritin. I also have consistently low ferritin although standard iron tests hb (hgb) are ok ish so they refuse to call me anemic or do anything about it. Don’t think I’ve been above 11 in years.

Low ferritin might effect hb1ac if hb is also low but not necessarily if it’s only ferretin. Hb1ac uses red blood cells to measure levels. Neither will effect a blood glucose test which is a direct glucose measurement. There is an alternative to hb1ac called a fructosamine but it’s usually mainly used on pregnant women.

Amy1978

That is good news
How are you doing with low carb?
If you need more help then another source, linked from this site, is the lowcarbprogram which has meal plans, recipes, and videos over a 16 week course.
Exercise can help but low carb can do more (I get very little exercise due to other health conditions but lost loads of weight in addition to getting into remission).

OK but need more idea. Think I need to bulk prep. So will look at your link.

With cheese, how much can you have and which type and still avoid raising your cholesterol?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Honestly your cholesterol readings are the least of your worries and are likely to be distorted while you are in weight loss mode. Also it's possible that your hba1c has been falsely inflated by your anaemia.

But
Weight gain is a symptom of T2 (insulin resistance so high insulin levels plus too high blood sugars) so reducing weight suggests that you have reduced your blood sugar levels. (Congratulations.) And your fasting blood sugar is indicative of T2 so suggests all was not right, though you may not have been as badly diabetic as you thought.

4kg in 6 weeks is awesome. Just keep doing what you are doing now and only change if the weight loss stops.

Do you have a glucose testing meter to see what is happening to your blood sugar.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks.

Yes, I think it's definitely my weight. I am looking to aim at 70 kg first. Another think I'm worried about. I am anaemic with ferritin 13. Was reading on the blog how that can displace results. But yes weight loss important.

Hi,

The HbA1c is known to be unreliable when a person has anaemia.
However, your doc or nurse may not be aware of this fact.
There is an alternative test available called the Fructosamine test.
Of course your doc or nurse may not be aware of that, either...
https://www.verywellhealth.com/fruc...samine test may,or other hemoglobin variants3

My suggestion is that you contact whoever is running your HbAic tests and ask them if they will run the fructosamine test.
It will either confirm or contradict your HbA1c result, and allow you to make better decisions based on the results.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi.

No, full panel LDL HDL etc

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

Atm it's 5.5

Nothing wrong with that (it is approx the national average which is around 5.4, I think), but it doesn't tell the full story.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/body/cholesterol.html
The doc should have a breakdown, as mike d says, which gives more detail and allows you to know if the proportions of the different forms of cholesterol are at 'good' levels.

You can probably ring the doc receptionist and get the results over the phone.
And in future, you can get access to your test results over the internet. There is an application process you would need to go through - just ask the receptionist for the details when you call.

Ed to add that avg chol link

Last edited:

Amy1978

Hi. Had a blood test. Haemoglobin is 112.

Well done on your achievements so far.

I’ve just seen your comment on ferritin. I also have consistently low ferritin although standard iron tests hb (hgb) are ok ish so they refuse to call me anemic or do anything about it. Don’t think I’ve been above 11 in years.

Low ferritin might effect hb1ac if hb is also low but not necessarily if it’s only ferretin. Hb1ac uses red blood cells to measure levels. Neither will effect a blood glucose test which is a direct glucose measurement. There is an alternative to hb1ac called a fructosamine but it’s usually mainly used on pregnant women.

Amy1978

Thank you. Will call up the receptionist

Nothing wrong with that (it is approx the national average which is around 5.4, I think), but it doesn't tell the full story.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/body/cholesterol.html
The doc should have a breakdown, as mike d says, which gives more detail and allows you to know if the proportions of the different forms of cholesterol are at 'good' levels.

You can probably ring the doc receptionist and get the results over the phone.
And in future, you can get access to your test results over the internet. There is an application process you would need to go through - just ask the receptionist for the details when you call.

Ed to add that avg chol link