Libre 2 sensor alarms. Reader or iphone app

ianstead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using my iphone 11 app with the sensor but find the alarm volume quite low. Would I find the Abbott reader alarm loud enough to wake me when sleeping? It is a shame that we can’t set the alarms on both devices. I am very happy with the system and the fact that we can be given alarms for low and high glucose and then take the necessary action.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using my iphone 11 app with the sensor but find the alarm volume quite low. Would I find the Abbott reader alarm loud enough to wake me when sleeping? It is a shame that we can’t set the alarms on both devices. I am very happy with the system and the fact that we can be given alarms for low and high glucose and then take the necessary action.

Hi,

Have you tried putting/standing your phone in a glass? (Empty of course.) this may act acoustically as an "amphitheatre" thus boosting the sound?

PHopwood

Hi,

I had the same dilemma I like using the reader as I can just grab it out of a pocket and not worry about unlocking my phone etc, I don't sync my reader I just use it for alarms and a quick read, on the go.

I use my phone for syncing to LibreLink. The volume for the alarms are the same as the reader alerts etc, I tested this by setting a reminder for a few minutes ahead and waited to see how loud it was, it is not that loud.

But as said above you can put it in a glass, on top of a tin etc to make it louder. But I get around this in a different way, I put the reader under my pillow at night and the vibration and sound wakes me up.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are sure that it isn't an iOS setting, and you are sure it's just a quiet file/sound, then you might want to take a look around to see if you can locate the actual sound files. Easily found on Android, eg FreeStyle LibreLink - Signal Loss Alarm.mp3, and replace it with something noisy!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m on Day 1 of my first Libre 2, and been playing with the alarm settings on my Librelink on the iphone 11.

Ye gods! Nearly gave me a heart attack. The dogs all panicked, and Mr B nearly fell off his chair. Fortunately the siren was so loud I couldn’t hear his swearing.

There are 2 options, the first is a shrill siren, that is as bad as an office fire alarm.
The second is whatever alert I have pre-chosen as a standard alert on my phone.

I will be going with the second option.
The thought of getting an accidental compression low in my sleep and that siren going off... no thanks!

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hear the alarm on my phone during the day when my sugars go to high but when asleep in the night they plummet and I don't wake up. Phone does nothing. Think they should of focused on improving the libre 1 before bringing out the libre 2.