Tresiba not working. Doctor won't listen.

Geewdra

I'm a youngish type-2 diabetic and have been using Tresiba and Trulicity for about 18 months. I'm using the max dose of Tresiba and am still hitting almost 400 blood sugar levels. Now my kidney levels are gets scary too...

Recently, my doctor has added Novolog. It works! But she only has me take it before dinner. She won't allow me to take it more than once. She also won't allow me to stop taking Tresiba, though it does nothing.

Right now I'm sitting with 369 blood sugar, and am relying on Tresiba to do... Nothing?

I understand Tresiba is a slow acting insulin, but it doesn't matter how long I wait, it doesn't seem to work.

What would you recommend?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Pretty much insulin is insulin I’m sure it’s doing something.. you’d may be worse without it.. it’s just not doing enough

For some reason you have become to insulin resistant

Ultimately tresiba should not be the sole insulin is only a basal insulin it designed to maintain levels not reduce it

Novolog is the rapid acting insulin that should be used to control levels at meal time.. and to do corrections etc

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
What would you recommend?

Welcome to the forums.

Assuming that you are T2 (and not misdiagnosed T1) I'd try reducing the carbs in my diet to see whether you can reduce the insulin resistance, and hence make your insulin (whether made by you or injected) work more effectively.)

And I'd second @Antje77 's query as to whether you are seeing a GP or a endocrinologist. Those levels are far too high to ignore, particular at your age.

So if you want to try the diet route, here's a really helpful blog about T2 and diet written by @JoKalsbeek
JoKalsbeek's blog | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

Oh, and just a heads up. Most of the people on this forum are using mmol/L as their units for blood sugar, and 4-8 are normal levels to them. Just multiply by 18 to get to the figures in mg/dL that you are using. (Or use the link below).

Blood Sugar Glucose Converter for Diabetes

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck.