1 month in, should I lower medication

Cmdm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m 1 month in and diagnosed t2. My initial blood test came back at 119 which I know is incredibly high and was started on gliclazide 40mg. I was told to increase to 80mg but didn’t do this as I have managed to get it under control with average mmol being 5.6 over the last two weeks with testing before and two hours after meals, (my doctor agreed this is ok to stay at 40mg now) I was told to start metformin last week but haven’t touched it as I really feel I’ve got it under control. The question I have is how do you know if and when to stop medication and you are in remission. In the last week my levels are hovering between high 3s and high 5s. I’ve lost just over a stone and I’ve completely overhauled my lifestyle, eating healthily and exercising. What should I do next?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Cmdm and welcome!

Sounds like you’re making great progress. I’d have a chat with your doc/diabetes nurse about the meds. I forget the exact NHS definition of remission but it’s likely to be at least a year with non-diabetic HbA1c results. A bit early for you to have another one after just a month, but you might be able to get one after 3 months to demonstrate progress.

Reactions: EllieM and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What should I do next?
Hi @Cmdm , I’m afraid we can’t offer advice on medication and dosages , so what you really need to do is talk to your GP, be honest about what you have and haven’t taken. It sounds like you’re doing very well with your life style changes. One month in is very early to be thinking about being in remission though.

Reactions: Cmdm

Cmdm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for replies. I know I’m jumping the gun, I know I’m definitely diabetic but reading some of the other experiences on here has gave me hope I might eventually get off all medication. I’ll have a chat with the GP again and see what they think. I was diagnosed with non alcoholic fatty liver disease about 2 months ago so I’m hopeful that as the weight comes off it this will improve also. This forum has been great for information too.

Reactions: EllieM and Rachox

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replies. I know I’m jumping the gun, I know I’m definitely diabetic but reading some of the other experiences on here has gave me hope I might eventually get off all medication. I’ll have a chat with the GP again and see what they think. I was diagnosed with non alcoholic fatty liver disease about 2 months ago so I’m hopeful that as the weight comes off it this will improve also. This forum has been great for information too.
As someone who has come off all drugs my recommendation… be patient, and involve the doctors if possible, supportive medical really helps. I did it over 12 months reducing my drugs in 3 monthly but I had dr support in repeating the results. After all each repeat costs the clinic

Even doing a hba1c after a month likely won’t show the improvements and in my case the lab just refused to do it. Speak to the doctor definitely and what I did was have a repeat and re-evaluation 3 months after

if your levels are good then that’s good

remission wise, I was told a year before they flag as such. Until then I am currently diet only

by the way, my weight loss and improvements also did improve to normal levels my liver ALT results.

no guarantees. We are all different but looking optimistic for sure

Reactions: Cmdm and EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the last week my levels are hovering between high 3s and high 5s.
With levels in this range I'd contact my doctor/diabetes nurse and not wait until my next appointment, as going hypo is possible on gliclazide.

Reactions: Cmdm