New to insulin

Lacey Susan

Hi

I've been diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic for almost 4 years after pain in my feet for the previous year - my HbA1c was 18. I got it down to 10.5 by dietary changes then medication got it down to just under 7. Over the last few years my medications have increased as my levels increased (and the pain in my feet has come and gone). Towards the end of 2011 with a HbA1c of 8.3 and on the maximum dose of Metformin I can tollerate (850mg twice a day) and Gliclizide and Sitagliptin we made the decision to move to insulin (I was hoping that lower levels would help with the pain in my feet). I've been put on Humulin I once a day (at bedtime) and have stopped the Gliclizide and Sitagliptin but have kept on with the Metformin. OK it's only 3 weeks since I started on insulin but my levels are all over the place which they weren't when I was on tablets alone and my feet are more painful. I was started on 10 units (now up to 18) but it doesn't seem to be having much of an effect but I don't know if it just takes time. So far I've only had one reading in the target range while on the Humulin and that was last night (8.8 - the lowest reading I've had at any time since starting insulin) but then this morning my sugar levels were up! My morning sugars were always my highest readings before but now I'm getting readings from 9.2 to 15.3 throughout the day.

Attended a group education session at the hospital last week in which I learnt nothing that I didn't know already! The DN asked if we were all feeling better, when I said no she wasn't really interested but told me to increase my dose by 2 units, leave it for a few days and then increase by another 2 if my levels still weren't in range which I've done and that she'll give me a ring this week. Each time I increase the dose it doesn't seem to make a difference.

What I don't know is if it's normal to have levels all over the place at the start of using insulin as a type 2? It almost feels like my body is acting against the injections as every time I get anywhere near the before bed target my levels have gone up in the morning! I don't know how many units I should probably be on (I've seen two totally different calculations on the internet one of which worked out at 24 units, the other at 67)? I've also read tonight that Isophane can/does(?) have a variable absorption rate so don't know if this is why my levels are all over the place - perhaps Humulin I isn't the right insulin for me.

Any advice, suggestions anyone can give would be greatfully accepted

Best wishes
Susan

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Could a basal/bolus system work better for you?
This is what I had to ask for to get a better level of control,one injection a day did nothing for me and like you found my bgs were worse
Best of luck hope you get results soon

Lacey Susan

Thanks. It's good to know I'm not the only one who has had problems. Will wait and see what the hospital come up with this week but I'll keep basal/bolus in reserve to suggest - I have read somewhere that this can be best for those with my type of neuropathy
Susan

g0mrl

Hello Lacey Susan!

My experience with Humulin 1 started about 3 months ago, when in spite of medication rather like yours, my HbA1c had hit just over 8. I've been diagnosed for more than ten years. In my case, the diabetes clinic in Bolton (really good people there) left me on Gliclazide, reduced my Metformin to 3x500mg tablets, and discontinued the Sitaglyptin; I then started Humulin I at 10 units at bedtime, and soon upped this in stages of 2 units until 20 units seemed to do the trick. My average bood sugar readings in the morning are now about 7. Sometimes I'll go down to near Hypo levels in the afternoon, yesterday for example, it hit 3.2 at around 5 pm, so I need to be aware of this possibility when driving. (Have you informed DVLC that you're injecting?) My last HbAic, about a month ago, was 7.1, so I'm reasonably happy, although there are occasional readings around 8 or 9 at breakfast time.

As I increased the Humulin I from 10 to 20 units, it was easy to tell that things were coming right. So I would say (with the agreement of your clinic) that you should experiment a bit, but give each new dosage a week or so for things to settle down. My experimental period took about 2 months.

I've never had problems with my feet, although some years ago I had discomfort in my thighs which drove me absolutely spare! The problem eventually went away. No idea idea why.

Give it a bit of time, and good luck!

Lacey Susan

Thanks for the reply. Seen the consultant at the hospital today who has explained a lot more about why I'm on the regime I am and where I am heading. I'm now up to 40 units of Humulin I and need to increase it by 6 units every week until the majority of my before breakfast readings get into range (he thinks this could be at around the 80 units level - I have PCOS which isn't helping with the insulin). If my other readings don't come into line at this point they will change the regime to twice a day. My HbA1c reading today was 8.5 so the drop in the tablets when I started insulin has had no effect. I'm feeling much happier now I understand more and know I need to be a bit more patient!

Driving licence has just gone off to the DVLA to be replaced by a 3 year licence.

My feet aren't liking this cold weather but I've agreed not to go onto any other meds which I'll almost certainly have reactions to until my sugar levels are sorted. Roll on spring and warmer weather (hopefully with lower sugar levels!)

Susan

cocodog

Hi

You mention the variable absorption rate of Humulin I due to the addition of isophane which I have also read about from different sources. When reading up about it before my son changed from Lantus to Humulin I it seems that it holds onto some of the insulin and then releases it at unexpected times, that makes it very difficult to have much control over your blood sugars.
With all the bad experiences and side effects that people report with Lantus, plus it wasnt working for Chris it was the first step in getting the clinic to agree to a change. A lot of the insulins seem to have protamine/isophane as part of them.
Best wishes
Linda

wilkinsonpj

Hi Susan,

I'm type 2 and been on insulin for around a year now. Started off on Humulin M3 twice a day which is a mix of slow acting and fast acting insulin. It worked fine at first but then my figures crept up again. I'm now on Humulin I and Humalog - i take Humulin I first thing (24 units) and last thing (34 units) - and take Humalog (10 + 10 + 26) when i eat and this seems to be working some days and then some days it seems not. I still wake up 1st thing and my BG is usually over 10 (i'm chuffed when its under 10!), everyone is different and whereas some drugs will work great for some they may work as good or not at all for others. If i'm honest i don't look after my condition as well as i should and feel guilty some times when i read on here how dedicated most people are. Your symptoms seem similar to mine and i'm curious do you honestly looks after your condition? If you do i apologise, I'm just curious cos you sound like me...

Cheers,
Pete.

Unbeliever

If you don't mind me saying so folks your posts don't exactly make enncouraging reading. According to various Drs and nurses insulin always makes diabetics feel better and there are so few problems they are not worth mentioning.

I understand it takes time to find the right regime and type of insulin but do any of you regret starting it and wish you hadn't bothered?

d-enjoy

Hi Susan,

I am a newcomer for this forum in China. I'm type 2 and the doctor treat me with insulin. You know, I used to travel around frequently. But now I can not. partly because of the pain. But I insist step to some place near. The question is when I go out, I need to store the medicine in cool condition. My friend bought me a portable cooler box (size: 200X100X100mm) with fridge and heat function. It do well under 30 degree while can only maintain 15 degree when the outside temperature is between 30-40 degree for about 6 hours. What is your solution for that or do you have some other better suggestions.

[mod edit: email address removed]

Linda