Keto diet and medication reduction

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in the US. In a nutritional ketogenic diet program called Virta for type 2 diabetes. I had labs done at the beginning of this month and the results were good so the Dr in the program suggested removing Januvia. Now, my fasting glucose levels are higher than when I began the program. My Dr said I can give it a week or 2 and be strict with the diet and see if it changes or go back on Januvia for now and possibly try again in the future. My weight is going up too. I said I would give it another week. Feeling frustrated

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your body is probably dumping glucose that has been stored up over time so that's why your blood sugar is currently elevated especially after you have stopped the blood glucose lowering medication.

On a keto diet your body can take a while to heal after years of dietary "abuse" which might explain the weight gain.

I thought that the Virta programme was fairly happy with contact from participants so maybe try and contact the doctor again? How long have you been doing it?

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
About 5 months. Yes the Virta Dr was responsive. He said it is up to me if I want to give it some more time or go back on the med. The diet was working great while I was on the med. Thank you

optimist1

What are your afternoon, pre evening meal levels like? If they are high, I would go back on a med. Otherwise I would give keto a chance. I know my FBG were the last to come good.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also to remember how far have you reduced your insulin resistance as that might be playing a role. You can do a morning insulin level test after 12 hours fast and your BG levels at the same time, this will give you a good picture of your IR.

I stopped my Metformin cold turkey three months back and i noticed couple of weeks random changes to my BGs. However within a month things went back to normal. I would suggest continue with low-carb and give it a try for up to 4 weeks and see depending if your fasting insulin level is below 6 so that you can rule out IR. Our body gets used to meds and reacts once you stop. Same is that we get used to low carb so if you eat some carbs it will shoot your BGs.

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is 30g total carbs. How do I get an insulin test.? Is that something I ask my dr to order. I believe the med I was on increased insulin secretion. My evening levels are lower than fasting but higher than they had been. Thank you.