Does 'fizzy drinks' include diet fizzy drinks?

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Had a question that was bugging me, so decided to ask it here. When people say 'are fizzy drinks bad' do they mean ALL fizzy drinks - or just the full fat version?

As in, they say fizzy drinks will give you diabetes - but surely diet fizzy drinks wouldn't?

Confused!

Snodger

You are kind of right. BUT! Fizzy drinks won't give you diabetes anyway, sugary or diet. If anyone has said to you that fizzy drinks cause diabetes, they don't know what they are talking about and you can feel free to ignore them.

All that 'bad for you' stuff, when they talk about diabetes, refers to the fact that in some people, putting on lots of weight makes them resistant to the insulin their body produces. If you don't have enough to make you put on weight then it's not an issue.

If you already have diabetes then sugary fizzy drinks are 'bad' for you if you can't inject enough insulin to cover the sugar. Diet drinks won't make your blood sugar rise.

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for clearing that up... always wondered when you see articles in the Daily Mail (yes, a quality read! :lol: ) about fizzy drinks, whether it's actually all drinks or just full fat drinks.

Makes sense though - thanks!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

AMBrennan

Hang on - "fizzy drink" is simply a "carbonated beverage". What kind of "full fat" carbonated drinks are you talking about?

Fizzy drinks won't give you diabetes anyway
Debatable. One could argue that idly drinking sugary drink when bored, because it's hot, etc rather than because you're actually hungry will contribute to weight gain, and thus increase the risk of developing diabetes later.

If you already have diabetes then sugary fizzy drinks are 'bad' for you if you can't inject enough insulin to cover the sugar
Again, debatable. Sugary drink raises blood sugar much more quickly than even fast acting insulin analogues.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
No, fizzy drinks will not directly give you diabetes.

1.The sugar in fizzy drinks and other sugary foods will lead to weight gain if not converted into energy and used by the body.

2.Weight gain is a leading contribution to the development of Type 2 diabetes, amongst others.

So it really depends what context you use.

Apparently though, too much diet drinks can cause you to crave sugary foods, so unless your mindful then even diet drinks can lead to excess sugar consumption too (see point 1. :lol: )

Otenba

Dislikes
peanuts, coffee, spiders, flies, bees, wasps, coffee, coffee sweets, being picked up, being ill, bad sugar levels
Whatever way you look at it as far as I'm concerned, fizzy drinks aren't a great option for a beverage anyway. Most don't taste very nice and they're not good for your teeth, let alone your diabetes.

AMBrennan said:
If you already have diabetes then sugary fizzy drinks are 'bad' for you if you can't inject enough insulin to cover the sugar
Again, debatable. Sugary drink raises blood sugar much more quickly than even fast acting insulin analogues.

Do you realise that 10g of fast or slow carbohydrate makes the same results regardless of speed (for Type 1s anyway)? Just make sure to take the correct insulin - that's all they meant and it is logical thinking - gets applied in courses like DAFNE so it is a solid idea to apply. If you're worried about speed, just make sure to take your insulin before you drink it - simples.

The only thing that would be another factor is if you're drinking the sugary fizzy drink for a hypo or for an exercise fuel - in those situations, you've likely got too much insulin on board and for future prevention, a insulin dose adjustment may be something to consider.

AMBrennan

Do you realise that 10g of fast or slow carbohydrate makes the same results regardless of speed (for Type 1s anyway)?
No, I didn't know that. In fact, you don't seem to know that either:
if you're drinking the sugary fizzy drink for a hypo
What use would drinking Lucozade be if it is slowly absorbed over 2 hours (advice is to re-test 15min after treatment and repeat if necessary...)?

Personally, I trust my Navigator more, where I see a significant spike after eating sugary food (like the holier-than-though All Bran) compared to sugar-free alternatives (evil Weetabix).

Otenba

Dislikes
peanuts, coffee, spiders, flies, bees, wasps, coffee, coffee sweets, being picked up, being ill, bad sugar levels
Sorry, we go by different rules considering the DAFNE course recommends that you re-test after 5 minutes after a hypo treatment so you can treat again before your body needs to release glucose to assist you.

Lucozade is a great hypo treatment because it is fast releasing. DAFNE also clearly state that you can also drink things like regular coke or lemonade for a hypo (20g fast - whether or not you take 20g slow as well depends on what time of day you had the hypo). Sorry that you were not aware of this already. You can also use fruit juice.

I personally do not use these options for hypo treatment because liquids are a pain to work out the carbs correctly for (especially when on a wobble!) - if I have a fizzy at all, I save it for with a meal.

If you only trust your "Navigator" then you're effectively being a closed door to other ideas. Just be aware of that.

Prevention of the hypo in the first place would be a great alternative change to sitting on ideas about "what's best to eat for my diabetes". Type 1 people sadly have more freedom than they are able to willingly realise.

Grazer

notafanofsugar said:
Had a question that was bugging me, so decided to ask it here. When people say 'are fizzy drinks bad' do they mean ALL fizzy drinks - or just the full fat version?

As in, they say fizzy drinks will give you diabetes - but surely diet fizzy drinks wouldn't?

Confused!
Hi! Saw from your profile that you're a type 1 diabetic on diet only. Wondered if you could elaborate?
Thanks

AMBrennan

If you only trust your "Navigator" then you're effectively being a closed door to other ideas. Just be aware of that.
Freestyle Navigator is a continuous glucose monitor i.e. I trust empirical data more than elaborate theories which, occasionally defy common sense (e.g. white bread can't possibly act faster than glucose since it has to be broken down to glucose first).

Also, regular (fingerstick) testing has shown that the effect of e.g. orange juice on my blood sugar lasts for only 15 minutes.
I don't care what DAFNE says but I can't adequately cover that with insulin that acts for 2h; sure, it's easy enough to get a reasonable 2h postprandial result but BG will still peak at >9 mmol/l after one hour which I think might be bad since e.g. pregnant women aren't supposed to exceed 7.8 mmol/l one hour after a meal.

Otenba

Dislikes
It's okay, I understand what you're saying. I assumed a Navigator was a monitoring kit.

Fair enough that you "don't care" - it just proves my point that you are behind closed doors because you'd still rely on what tid bits of knowledge you've picked up as an individual to understand your results. I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt too - I found that it wasn't a place I liked to be because of the frequent guesswork.

DAFNE is based on research and actually works in practice - it's making the world of diabetes a lot less scarier place to be. This is why the NHS are rolling it out nationally because it's working better than the random tid bits of information - and this my friend, makes it good enough to me to exercise.

Anyway, I'll leave you to it considering you don't care. Best wishes. :)

SkinnyMaria11

I'll bet you didn't expect all these responses, eh? Here's what my doctor told me. She said regular and diet sodas, sugary drinks like lemonade, and fattening drinks like lattes will eventually increase your blood sugar because they all have one thing in common. They contain a sugar or sugar substitute that causes the body to crave sugar. And when we overindulge, wham, we store fat and our blood sugar goes up. The problem is we have a tough time not having more. That's why they say sugar is addicting. Studies have come about recently that sugar substitutes trick the body into craving more sugar than regular sugar, which we know is off-limits for us. The best thing you can do is tell yourself how much you enjoy water and then change the filters regularly!

triksit

Hi there,
Have you tried adding fizzy water, ice and a slice of lemon to your favourite fruit tea?
Much cheaper and no need for sugar or substitutes.
good luck

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I bought a soda stream so am now fizzing my own water and adding a TINY bit of squash! :) Living in the 80s? Oh yes!