cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hi all,

I don't generally follow a low carb diet (although i do stick to low GI as far as possible) but am thinking about cutting my breakfast carbs as thats what causes the worst peaks.

Any ideas for a low fat gluten free breakfast that fills you up?

Many thanks for any replies

Grazer

I think low fat and low carbs are a tricky mix, as loads of people who cut out carbs make up for it with cheese and other fat type products. What about omelettes, or scrambled eggs with smoked fish? Or maybe boiled eggs and ham (bit continental that) No carbs in any of that.

Fallenstar

Hi Cleo :D

I follow a low carb diet and have found my control much better than it was ,not as you say as many carb spikes, so certainly a lot less lows, infect hardly any because I don't have to have as much insulin to deal with the carbs so I don't get it stacking up as it did, or if I'm being very active again later it's not still in my system causing me to go low.....so I've found it really easy and feel great on it...not only that I'm eating loads more :D

For breakfast of late I have been having blueberries and sliced strawberries with full fat Greek yoghurt sprinkled with omega 3 seed mix..it's lovely.

Whitby jet posted a great Granola recipe in discussion I think it was , a thread about Lizzies Granola, that is easy to make ,tasty and it does not spike you at all...well it does not spike me.
My Dr wants me to be tested for coelIac disease but to be honest I have not eaten Gluten for quiet some time now as I feel so bad when I do that I don't fancy eating it to have the tests done. I only used to have toast on a morning and that made me feel terrible so I didn't have a lot to cut out as the rest of the day I stayed well away from Gluten. Since going low carb and cutting all Gluten out I can't tell you(well probably I can :wink: ) how much better I feel. I'm also Type 1.

Have a look on this forum there are some great ideas and links and recipes , good luck!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Ordinary normal cereals?

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I follow a lower carb diet(60g a day). I still get a fasting reading of up to 9.3 but all the rest of the readings are now coming down. I was having smoothies for breakfast (including whey proteinn and flax seeds) but my BS would stay high for too long. I now have a smoothie for lunch and protein based meals for breakfast and dinner. My breakfasts can be boiled eggs, cold meat, low fat cheese or pate based. I eat mini plum tomatoes, avocado etc to balance the breakfast out. This appears to be working for me.
Good Luck

Grazer

Sarah69 said:
Ordinary normal cereals?

Personally, I can tolerate cereals for breakfast and have issues later in the day, but Cleo's question was about cutting carbs at breakfast, and "ordinary normal cereals" certainly don't do that.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I just can't get my head around what other people eat for breakfast. I couldn't eat anything other than cereal!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
What's that supposed to mean?

WhitbyJet

cleo82 - granola (there are low carb recipes for that in the forum), eggs, bacon, sausages, mushroom and tomatoes with a slice of Burgen bread if you can tolerate that.
Berries with full fat Greek Yoghurt,, or you could bake breakfast muffins with almond flour instead of flour.

Sarah69 - I dread to think what my blood sugars would be if I ate ordinary cereals, obviously I am not as lucky as you are in that respect.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I'm having serious pain issues and diabetes atm is becoming secondary. I've stopped testing my blood and I just inject what I think, I know it's wrong but I can't focus on it. I do admire the people that have changed their diets but I'm never gonna be able to do that. I just could not eat anything other than cereal for breakfast. I cannot cut out the foods I love which to be honest are not that many and are all the wrong things!

WhitbyJet

(((((Sarah69))))) I am not criticising you. you have every right to deal with your diabetes the way you see fit, nobody can or should force you to eat foods that you dont like.

I hope you find something to help you deal with the pain you are experiencing at the moment, it may not even be diabetes related.

All the best.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Thanx whitbyjet I don't think it is related to diabetes in any way.

libbyM

I've just put together a cereal which someone posted on here - ground flaxseeds (1 cup) shredded coconut, pumpkin seeds, mixed nuts (hazelnut and almonds) sunflower seeds etc. roasted it in the oven and it looks delicious but is it high in carbs? I do not have a machine to know whether it will upset my Hb
readings as the doctor said not necessary at the moment. Last reading was down from 6.6 to 6.2.
Would appreciate advice please.

Angeleyes

libbyM said:
I've just put together a cereal which someone posted on here - ground flaxseeds (1 cup) shredded coconut, pumpkin seeds, mixed nuts (hazelnut and almonds) sunflower seeds etc. roasted it in the oven and it looks delicious but is it high in carbs? I do not have a machine to know whether it will upset my Hb
readings as the doctor said not necessary at the moment. Last reading was down from 6.6 to 6.2.
Would appreciate advice please.

Only way you will find out is to get yourself a meter and test after eating, possibly at the 2 hr interval as by then your blood sugar should be getting back to normal levels which if you are a type 2 should be below 8.5 mmol/l, preferably lower for good blood sugar control.

The HbA1c is not really going to be affected by one individual meal which is why you need to test despite the Dr saying you don't need to. That is the sort of advice that has caused many a newly diagnosed diabetic to rapidly lose control of their diabetes leading to much higher levels and possible future complications. The thing to do is test, test, test. The only way to find out if it is good or bad for you. Cereals in general are not my favourite thing, however they are constituted.

Grazer

Carb content depends on how much of each you've used. However, the stuff you've used is all pretty low GI, and no massive amounts of carbs, so I'd have thought it unlikely to give you too much of a spike. More likely to release the sugars slowly so you can use them up in your normal activity as you go.
Comment on the "not needing to test" though. i think your doctor's wrong. This is a good example of WHY you SHOULD test, just now and again. You're trying something new, good for you, but you need to know NOW if it's ok for you or not. Finding out your HbA1C is up in 3 months time won't tell you what caused it! Could you buy just a few strips for the odd occasions when you're experimenting with food? Or convince the doctor to give you just one pot to last, say, 2 months so you can "actively manage your diabetes, as per NICE guidelines"?

edan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This morning i had a mushroom and wafer thin chicken ommlette. Perfect, balanced, and filling, :)