Dry blistered skin on foot

micktrick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

For a few tears I have a patch of dy skin on the sole of my foot which cracks and has forms cuts. I have tried various moisturisers- lately paraffin type cream. I have shown GP and diabetic nurse but they don't seem too bothered. It is often too painful to walk far.

Does anyone have a similar problem and can suggest something to try? As Type 2 I am concerned about developing an ulcer.

Nicknackwack

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried consulting a Podiatrist or Chiropodist ? Some diabetic clinics offer this as an additional service.

Reactions: EllieM

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Foot problems can be quite serious for diabetics as you seem to be aware. This month's newsletter from this site carries an article on foot care which suggests some orthopedic solutions to ensure footwear is comfortable and providing support to reduce this risk. Can anyone supply a link to this article since I cannot find it referenced on the main home page?

It may be as simple as cutting clearance holes in insoles to allow the skin to breathe, which solved one of my problems. Is the skin area weight bearing when you walk or stand? have you tried different sock materials such as wool instead of polyester? cotton? slippers when 'off duty'?

My GP surgery does not have any expertise on foot care, and I had to get a prescription issued to get an appointment at the local hospital orthopedic unit who are actually a private clinic that assists the NHS. There may be private chiropodists etc in your area that could provide consultancy,

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although long before diabetes, I had a mosaic verruca which I had shown to a couple of doctors and been told it was simply hard skin. When I moved and noticed a chiropodists with a 'call in' invitation in the window, I was told off for not having it treated as I went swimming regularly at that time.
It was dealt with very efficiently.
I think these days it is more problematic to get foot care, but perhaps another attempt would be wise

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

For a few tears I have a patch of dy skin on the sole of my foot which cracks and has forms cuts. I have tried various moisturisers- lately paraffin type cream. I have shown GP and diabetic nurse but they don't seem too bothered. It is often too painful to walk far.

Does anyone have a similar problem and can suggest something to try? As Type 2 I am concerned about developing an ulcer.
I'm a type 1 diabetic but I'm sure any advise will be the same.

I have very dry skin on my feet, heels and under base of big and little toes.

I carefully use a pedegg on the dry patches after a shower once a week. (I do shower more than once a week by the way ;)) and use a cheap hydrating body lotion nearly every day but only on the dry areas.

This is my foot regime, I'm not recommending it to anyone but it does work for me.