Surprise diagnosis last week

Jenny105

Hi I was a fairly trim 70 yr old WOMAN (not as in side info). I have to exercise my Sound Support every day for an hour - off lead (the dog and me) . I swim twice a week , and in the sea if weather is OK. In mid July I weighed 9stone 7. Height 5 foot 1. I have regular bevy of blood test every 6m - never a sign of sugar issues for 20 yrs.
From mid July to early August I lost 9 lbs in weight and one week end and I had chronic thirst and excess wee. Doc ran a glucose test . It came back 98. Similarly a friend has had the same issues as me. Shes much slimmer, but doesnt exercise as much, has a great diet . Incidentally we both had Pfizer jabs , the 2nd mid May.
My diagnosis is to be Type 2 initially but its expected Im Type 1 1/2. !! And may need insulin.
The nurse didnt give me dietary advice. But told me to join myDesmond.co.uk. I tried but some verification is needed so I cannot enter the site. Not it seems register. I have Metformin and a metre - first readings between 16 - 21 . I gather I can work out food guidelines from this but struggling at present .
In all quite settled but not clear where im going with this, and what to eat. Someone suggested I reduced carbs slowly as this has been a sudden assault. Right or Not

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jenny
IMHO a sudden onset and an unexpected loss of weight are more pointers to type 1 (and the variants) than type 2.
While waiting definite diagnosis yes only reduce carbs slowly and steadily because, if type 1, a sudden decrease could push you into something called dka which can be nasty and even fatal.

I'm a type 2 and am sure other much more knowledgeable 1s will be along soon with chapter and verse, just wanted to post a holding reply, and send a hug. Its always a shock, irrespective of type

Jenny105

Hi Jenny
IMHO a sudden onset and an unexpected loss of weight are more pointers to type 1 (and the variants) than type 2.
While waiting definite diagnosis yes only reduce carbs slowly and steadily because, if type 1, a sudden decrease could push you into something called dka which can be nasty and even fatal.

I'm a type 2 and am sure other much more knowledgeable 1s will be along soon with chapter and verse, just wanted to post a holding reply, and send a hug. Its always a shock, irrespective of type
Many thanks that was a helpful reply and a much needed hug. I've decided to contact the Nurse for a Monday morning reply and ask if I should be reducing any food types. My test results (when I can summon up enough blood ) are high. 16-21. Again grateful thanks.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've decided to contact the Nurse for a Monday morning reply and ask if I should be reducing any food types. My test results (when I can summon up enough blood ) are high. 16-21.

I agree this sounds more like type 1 than type 2. I think they would be better off doing the antibodies testing. Check your blood glucose when you get up in the morning before you have something to eat as well ... and let them know what reading you get.