Please don’t shoot me, I can’t help it

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A tactic that works is to retrain your taste to savoury. This has a stack of advantages for health, satiety and what your mind perceives as sweet. Importantly cravings all but disappear with the focus going towards looking forward to real food. It is likely other eating patterns keep a part of your system in the sweet category.

This is what I’m really hoping for- to be at a place where I never crave anything sweet

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it's simply a craving for something sweet and I'm not actually hungry I sometimes opt for a non food alternative like cleaning my teeth. Chocolate tastes awful after the teeth have been cleaned.

ha good idea, I’ll do that- brush my teeth and see if it helps

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Almond milk with a square of Lindt sounds really nice- would never have thought of that

am now wondering whether I should be eating more. Been trying to do one meal a day but I think I’m not getting my entire 1500 some days
I do believe that if you are hungry then you are definitely depriving your body of nutrients. If you have the dark chocolate by the way make sure you break it into lots of small pieces and let each one melt in your mouth. One square can seem as if you've eaten a whole bar this way

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing todo with sweet stuff but someone on here suggested cheesies as a replacement for crisps. They are made with just cheese, baked and popped somehow to make crispy cubes. They taste really nice and are a good carb free alternative to crisps. You can buy them in Holland and Barrett or online on Amazon.

After being mentioned on another thread, I did buy them actually. Thought I’d I’ve have it when I really miss crisps or to add to a salad instead of croutons

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi SuNuman! For myself, YES! and I am keeping as low as I can to get my figures down. It's amazing how it all adds up if you don't set a target amount I find I don't want to go as low as Keto but I think I'm having about 40gms of carbs per day. xx
FRom 40 to 50 grams of carbs per day can be counted as keto according to some sources.

"According to a 2018 review of the different types of ketogenic diet, a person should consume up to 50 grams (g) of carbohydrates per day to stay in ketosis. A female on a keto diet should consume 40–50 g of protein per day, while a male should consume 50–60 g of protein daily."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-many-carbs-on-keto

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do believe that if you are hungry then you are definitely depriving your body of nutrients. If you have the dark chocolate by the way make sure you break it into lots of small pieces and let each one melt in your mouth. One square can seem as if you've eaten a whole bar this way

Ok great I’ll do that - God it’s like being on a ration sometimes lol

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FRom 40 to 50 grams of carbs per day can be counted as keto according to some sources.

"According to a 2018 review of the different types of ketogenic diet, a person should consume up to 50 grams (g) of carbohydrates per day to stay in ketosis. A female on a keto diet should consume 40–50 g of protein per day, while a male should consume 50–60 g of protein daily."

At the moment, I find I can’t do more than 50g a day for sure

Lakeslover

After being mentioned on another thread, I did buy them actually. Thought I’d I’ve have it when I really miss crisps or to add to a salad instead of croutons

that’s a brilliant idea. I’m doing chicken Caesar salad tomorrow and will replace the croutons with cheesies.

they also do some chilli cheesies which are lovely.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi SuNuman! For myself, YES! and I am keeping as low as I can to get my figures down. It's amazing how it all adds up if you don't set a target amount I find I don't want to go as low as Keto but I think I'm having about 40gms of carbs per day. xx
Thank you I will aim for that too I think. X

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you I will aim for that too I think. X
Your meter will tell you if you have too many carbs :)
Once you see 'likeable' figures after your before and after meal checks then you will know what suits you and what to avoid for now xx

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
that’s a brilliant idea. I’m doing chicken Caesar salad tomorrow and will replace the croutons with cheesies.

they also do some chilli cheesies which are lovely.

Oooo chilli cheesies sounds nice, I’ll get them next time

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

John, how would I know if I am? I need to read this link when I have time. I'm just off out so will come back to it later. Thank you John

Last edited:

Dandelade

John, how would I know if I am? I need to read this link when I have time. I'm just off out so will come back to it later. Thank you John
Hi Coby, I get an oily film on top of my urine you can see if you look at it from different angles! No idea how to tell amount without measuring...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can buy Ketostix to test urine, or you could use a ketone meter and strips for fingerprick testing. The first is cheaper, the second more accurate.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

The best way to monitor Ketones is with a meter the CareSens Dual and various other meters can measure Ketones with Ketone test strips though they do cost more the libre reader can also use ketone test strips to test Ketone levels.

"How to measure ketone levels
The most reliable way to measure your ketone levels is to use a blood ketone meter.

These devices work similarly to blood sugar meters, as you use a lancet and a blood testing strip to collect a small blood sample from your fingertip, which the device then reads.

Although your body produces three types of ketones, most blood ketone meters check for beta-hydroxybutyrate, which is the most prevalent type (6Trusted Source).

There’s some disagreement among researchers about the best time of day to test ketone levels. You should pick a time and consistently test at that time to get the most accurate readings.

When you last ate appears to be a major contributing factor to your ketone levels, so you may want to do your ketone testing 3 hours after eating a meal (7Trusted Source).

Urine and breath testing
You can also check to see whether you’re in ketosis by using urine test strips or a breath test. These methods are less accurate but easier than using a blood ketone meter.

Urine tests, which are test strips that you dip in your urine, change color based on the presence of the ketone acetoacetate. The darkness of the strip is an indicator of the extent to which you’re in ketosis. The results may be inaccurate if you’re dehydrated (8Trusted Source).

Urine strips are inexpensive but also the least accurate testing method (8Trusted Source).

On the other hand, breath tests measure the amount of the ketone acetone in your breath in parts per million (ppm).

Reliable breath testing devices are fairly expensive and slightly less accurate than blood testing, but they’re painless and do not require the purchase of extra supplies like lancets or strips (9Trusted Source).

Breath acetone levels ranging from 2–40 ppm, and even higher in some instances, may indicate nutritional ketosis (10Trusted Source)."

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ideal-ketosis-level-for-weight-loss#measuring

From this site
"The sweet spot for weight loss is 1.5 to 3.0 mmol/l. This level of nutritional ketosis is recommended by researchers Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek."

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/keto/measuring-ketosis-on-a-keto-diet.html
ketosistix_graph--kd3-1200w (1).jpg

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/Ketosis-Measuring-Ketones

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The best way to monitor Ketones is with a meter the CareSens Dual and various other meters can measure Ketones with Ketone test strips though they do cost more the libre reader can also use ketone test strips to test Ketone levels.

"How to measure ketone levels
The most reliable way to measure your ketone levels is to use a blood ketone meter.

These devices work similarly to blood sugar meters, as you use a lancet and a blood testing strip to collect a small blood sample from your fingertip, which the device then reads.

Although your body produces three types of ketones, most blood ketone meters check for beta-hydroxybutyrate, which is the most prevalent type (6Trusted Source).

There’s some disagreement among researchers about the best time of day to test ketone levels. You should pick a time and consistently test at that time to get the most accurate readings.

When you last ate appears to be a major contributing factor to your ketone levels, so you may want to do your ketone testing 3 hours after eating a meal (7Trusted Source).

Urine and breath testing
You can also check to see whether you’re in ketosis by using urine test strips or a breath test. These methods are less accurate but easier than using a blood ketone meter.

Urine tests, which are test strips that you dip in your urine, change color based on the presence of the ketone acetoacetate. The darkness of the strip is an indicator of the extent to which you’re in ketosis. The results may be inaccurate if you’re dehydrated (8Trusted Source).

Urine strips are inexpensive but also the least accurate testing method (8Trusted Source).

On the other hand, breath tests measure the amount of the ketone acetone in your breath in parts per million (ppm).

Reliable breath testing devices are fairly expensive and slightly less accurate than blood testing, but they’re painless and do not require the purchase of extra supplies like lancets or strips (9Trusted Source).

Breath acetone levels ranging from 2–40 ppm, and even higher in some instances, may indicate nutritional ketosis (10Trusted Source)."

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ideal-ketosis-level-for-weight-loss#measuring

From this site
"The sweet spot for weight loss is 1.5 to 3.0 mmol/l. This level of nutritional ketosis is recommended by researchers Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek."

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/keto/measuring-ketosis-on-a-keto-diet.html
View attachment 50986

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/Ketosis-Measuring-Ketones
Thank you for all that info John. As I've mentioned I really just want to stay low carb without the keto thing. I have my diabetic blood test tomorrow morning. I don't know if that will pick it up? I will have to introduce more carbs to ensure that I don't go into keto I think.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for all that info John. As I've mentioned I really just want to stay low carb without the keto thing. I have my diabetic blood test tomorrow morning. I don't know if that will pick it up? I will have to introduce more carbs to ensure that I don't go into keto I think.
Why would it matter if you went into ketosis or not?
The blood test won't pick it up.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Why would it matter if you went into ketosis or not?
The blood test won't pick it up.
Hi Antje77, I am a very slow learner when it comes to anything to do with my diabetes. I've only recently began to understand low carbs, the HbA1c test, and food no no's, even though diagnosed in 2016. I don't understand them thoroughly and they soon begin to seem complicated. I still feel in above my head for the most part. I don't know if it's my age (71) or my anxiety issues. I need to feel that I know what I'm doing and keto is another world entirely to me! I need to stay in my comfort zone with everything.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Antje77, I am a very slow learner when it comes to anything to do with my diabetes. I've only recently began to understand low carbs, the HbA1c test, and food no no's, even though diagnosed in 2016. I don't understand them thoroughly and they soon begin to seem complicated. I still feel in above my head for the most part. I don't know if it's my age (71) or my anxiety issues. I need to feel that I know what I'm doing and keto is another world entirely to me! I need to stay in my comfort zone with everything.
Being in nutritional ketosis only means your body has started using fats for fuel rather than carbohydrates, as carbs are mostly unavailable. There's nothing scary about it, save maybe a bit of acetone-breath and the possibility your pants drop off of you in public. I'm hoping you're not mixing it up with diabetic ketoacidosis...? T2's don't usually get that unless there's a lot going wrong on different fronts, all at the same time. It's more something T1's have to be careful of.