Type 1 Driving license application

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I have filled in a license application every three years since 77 and never had any problem but am a bit concerned I may have made a mistake this year , I filled the form in yesterday and were it said have you had an episode of hypoglycemia whilst awake in the last twelve months I ticked yes as not so long ago on a long walk I felt a bit low you know light headed sweaty nothing to dramatic and just had my glucose that I always carry and a bag of crisps and then walked home to a bg I think of around 8 Job done , my last three yearly hb1ac have been 51 / 44 and this year 49 not bad I thought , I don't like to lie and just answered the question correctly but i'am just a bit concerned my honesty may go against my application , What do others think ?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have filled in a license application every three years since 77 and never had any problem but am a bit concerned I may have made a mistake this year , I filled the form in yesterday and were it said have you had an episode of hypoglycemia whilst awake in the last twelve months I ticked yes as not so long ago on a long walk I felt a bit low you know light headed sweaty nothing to dramatic and just had my glucose that I always carry and a bag of crisps and then walked home to a bg I think of around 8 Job done , my last three yearly hb1ac have been 51 / 44 and this year 49 not bad I thought , I don't like to lie and just answered the question correctly but i'am just a bit concerned my honesty may go against my application , What do others think ?

There is follow up question (or two) if you answer yes to that question about having any hypos (I normally end up answering yes to that one cos well its nigh on impossible not to drop below 3.8 ever), the follow up question asked if you needed help (or something like that), if you answered no then its perfectly fine, as in effect its asking you if you have hypo awareness and can treat them yourself - cos that's fine

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Agree they are just checking for hypo awareness, also if any medical assistance was sought also I believe.

I don't think you have anything to worry about tho.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

I always tick 'yes' - as a T1 it would be more suspicious if you'd never been below 4mmol in a year but that's just my opinion (for what it's worth). Never had a problem with renewal and have done the last 2 online with new licence arriving within 5 days.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There is follow up question (or two) if you answer yes to that question about having any hypos (I normally end up answering yes to that one cos well its nigh on impossible not to drop below 3.8 ever), the follow up question asked if you needed help (or something like that), if you answered no then its perfectly fine, as in effect its asking you if you have hypo awareness and can treat them yourself - cos that's fine
Thanks Rokaab thats reassuring to know , Where will I see the follow up question ,? I would have thought it would be on the same form and am pretty certain it did use to be and I have answered it before but it wasn't there this time . I wish I had a better memory .

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Rokaab thats reassuring to know , Where will I see the follow up question ,? I would have thought it would be on the same form and am pretty certain it did use to be and I have answered it before but it wasn't there this time . I wish I had a better memory .

If on paper if should've looked a bit like this - i.e 1.4 is the question, 1.5 to 1.8 are the follow up's (it went over a page so I didn;t take a snip of all of the follow up questions)
If online the follow up questions may have been hidden unless you answered yes to 1.4

upload_2021-9-10_11-53-10.png

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If on paper if should've looked a bit like this - i.e 1.4 is the question, 1.5 to 1.8 are the follow up's (it went over a page so I didn;t take a snip of all of the follow up questions)
If online the follow up questions may have been hidden unless you answered yes to 1.4

View attachment 51102
Yes Rokaab I was just checking the paper application and saw the question and realised that on line it does not ask the follow up questions I was then going on line to tell you when I realised you had beat me to it , It does seem a bit unfair to ask if you've been hypo once or twice though I bet there aren't to many type 1 s can truthfully say less than two in twelve months . Urbanracer said that he usually gets his within five working days do you know wether that is still the case or are they taking longer now ?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes Rokaab I was just checking the paper application and saw the question and realised that on line it does not ask the follow up questions I was then going on line to tell you when I realised you had beat me to it , It does seem a bit unfair to ask if you've been hypo once or twice though I bet there aren't to many type 1 s can truthfully say less than two in twelve months . Urbanracer said that he usually gets his within five working days do you know wether that is still the case or are they taking longer now ?

Well I normally tick the '2 or more' selection, and then 'No' to 1.7 as its the one asking where you need help, as I haven't done in a good number of years now so that is fine, I guess the reason for the '1' to '2 or more' selection is cos 1 could be a one-off.

Time scales, haven't the foggiest, haven't done it in a while :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I filled mine in exactly like you. I doubt there is an insulin using diabetic alive who hasn't had more than '2' hypos over a 12 month period. The emphasis is really on the question as to whether you get those 'warning' symptoms, that's the crux of the matter because if you tick no to that then further investigation would be needed, ie, GP/Consultant's input. You will be fine I am certain (in the absence of any other issue/condition obviously). The other question, which I'm not sure they ask now, is whether you have had to rely on 3rd party help during a hypo, that too may have led to further investigation.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve had diabetes over 40 years and had a diving license for over 35 of them and as far as I can remember have always said yes to question about having hypos but no to question about needing treatment and never had a problem getting license back , and have to agree with others with regard 2 hypos over twelve months ha try over 12 hours more like

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve had diabetes over 40 years and had a diving license for over 35 of them and as far as I can remember have always said yes to question about having hypos but no to question about needing treatment and never had a problem getting license back , and have to agree with others with regard 2 hypos over twelve months ha try over 12 hours more like
As you say Ushtthetaff how can you say 1 - 2 hypos over twelve months over 12 hours yes but it makes us sound like a lier and they must know that , Just seems a very silly question to me .

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
As you say Ushtthetaff how can you say 1 - 2 hypos over twelve months over 12 hours yes but it makes us sound like a lier and they must know that , Just seems a very silly question to me .
I’m sure the information they really want is to know if you have any hypos that you basically passed out or required assistance from a 3rd party , I assume the question are just a “ lead in” to the main one rather than just coming out with the “ have you ever collapsed due to a hypoglycaemic incident “ ki suppose the object is to make sure you’re hypo aware and not going to “ keel over suddenly at the wheel !

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’m sure the information they really want is to know if you have any hypos that you basically passed out or required assistance from a 3rd party , I assume the question are just a “ lead in” to the main one rather than just coming out with the “ have you ever collapsed due to a hypoglycaemic incident “ ki suppose the object is to make sure you’re hypo aware and not going to “ keel over suddenly at the wheel !
Yes but they could just word it a little better , Maybe did you need help from somebody else to get you out of the situation .

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes but they could just word it a little better , Maybe did you need help from somebody else to get you out of the situation .
They pretty much do ask that. just after the number question (if you've ticked the two or more box)
upload_2021-9-14_10-48-5.png

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes but they could just word it a little better , Maybe did you need help from somebody else to get you out of the situation .[/I’ve been diabetic over 40 years and can honestly say , I have never needed any assistance when having a hypo , I think with regard to driving application this is the important issue, I’ve always answered no to that question and never had a problem with my application , I think that is probably. The case with most diabetics who answer no to the reciting assistance question