Advice about LCHF + ADF diet composition

DevGuy

Hi all,
I'm a long-term ADF faster, but dropped off for some time because of an unrelated medical issue (minor, but irritating). That's when my BG rose from pre-diabetic to diabetic levels.
Have lost 17 kilos since Oct last year, and while I haven't got an HBA1C test done recently, my 5-times-a-day finger-prick tests indicate I'm firmly at least in the low prediabetic range now.
Since Oct, I have been sticking to 4 feeding times per week - all within a 5-hour window in the evenings.
I've still got about 3 kilos to lose to reach my target weight, which should give me a buffer in case my weight begins to rise (during Xmas and New Year, for example). However, further weight loss has become frustratingly slow. I'm losing less than a kilo per month now, despite being a regular runner averaging 30 mins a day. Weekly calorie intake does not exceed 12K at this time. For a 6-foot male of 55, this seems an adequate caloric restriction. Currently, I weigh 70 kilos on my lowest day.

Any thoughts on how I can further tweak my diet to bring down my weight to 67kg?

It's usually a mix of the following:

- 500g of frozen spinach, microwaved (this is the base of my diet).
- Hard cheeses (around 25-40g).
- Oily fish (salmon, mackerel, sardines - equivalent of 95g can).
- Chicken breast (250g)
- Modest amounts of Dhal-type soups (chickpeas, kidney beans, lentils) cooked in extra virgin olive oil.
- 600ml milk.
- 100g mixed nuts
- 1 slice of bread (not always)
- 2 standard drinks of red wine on Friday evenings

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @DevGuy Although I eat 1 or 2 LCHF meals per day and have fasted for up to 3 days in preparation for colonoscopies, I've never tried ADF. You seem to have a fairly tight calorie restriction for a longer term way of eating. - Unnecessary with LCHF).
My first thought is that you seem more concerned with weight than with your diabetes.
I know that BMI isn't always that accurate, but you appear to be right in the middle of the healthy range for your height and activity (62kg to 83.7kg).

So why do you want to lose more weight - it may not be good for your overall health?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Ian, I think we all have a threshold beyond which our bodies hang on for grim death if we try to force it to do otherwise. I wonder whether your body is trying to tell you you are 'starving' it?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weekly calorie intake does not exceed 12K at this time.
You are starving yourself so your body will hang on to those last few pounds as it's under stress.

As well as that your carb intake still looks quite high.

Modest amounts of Dhal-type soups (chickpeas, kidney beans, lentils) cooked in extra virgin olive oil.
Carbs
- 600ml milk.
Carbs depending on the milk top colour
100g mixed nuts
Possibly carby depends on the nuts

and bread obviously more carbs