One month since diagnosis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that my progress is encouraging, but I know little about the topic. I hope though that what I have taught myself and put into practice may encourage others.

I was diagnosed following a routine checkup;
- BP: 179/95
- Hb1ac: 8.8% = 11.44 mmol/l

My initial reaction was fury and self-disgust. For years I have been very disciplined about carbs, being gluten intolerant whilst at the same time suffering from daily reflux which I treated with copious daily doses of chalk. Then, about 9 months ago I dumped Rennies for a PPI (Nexium). Almost immediately, my gluten intolerance disappeared, I have no idea why.

And then I binged, and binged, and binged on carbs. Pizza, pasta, bread of all kinds. My weight ballooned. I started getting symptoms which I ignored - basically peripheral neuropathy consisting in tingling in the legs and mild loss of sensation in some toes. I just had no idea what the cause might be and I ignored it.

Hence the self-disgust. In my case I genuinely believe that I brought it on myself.

BUT. I quickly decided to turn my rage into something constructive. I used it to target the disease itself, to fuel my determination to beat it into remission - and as fast as possible. I searched for positives and I find many. After only 1 month into the adventure, I feel and look so much better, healthier, and every small daily victory simply increases my determination. And every small day's set-back I treat simply as another coal to toss onto the fire of my determination.

First I set up spreadsheets for daily food intake, and for the daily stats: weight, blood glucose, blood pressure (taking the average of 3 readings each time)

Blood pressure is important: but it is weird to understand the peaks and troughs, not only throughout the day, but also within the series of 3 readings at a time: it is quite extraordinary, but I am told quite normal at the same time. I take the readings 5 or 6 times/day: always at the same time as I do the sugar readings (waking, morning exercise, before breakfast, 2 hours after breakfast, same for lunch, afternoon exercise, and before dinner).

I then record the average for the day, for all stats.

I recognise that the chore of keeping such records is perhaps not for everyone: but I enjoy it, and it gives me an overview of progress that becomes ever clearer, the longer I keep the diary.

As for diet: I also keep a diary. I weigh every ingredient I use, and I count the calories, carbs, protein - AND the glycemic index and load.

I have researched which foods contain the lowest calories and carbs, with the lowest glycemic load. You would be surprised how many delicious and nourishing foods you will find that meet those criteria. One example: mashed beetroots, scented with garlic and cinnamon, a touch of cumin, and for those that like spicy - red chillies. Serve it with some fish or chicken (which I poach without the skin). A really filling meal, no hunger pangs: high protein, low calories and carbs, but with some bulk and fibre.

For two weeks I went on an 850 calorie diet: I wanted to bring my weight down by 5 to10% as fast as possible. And then I went on a less restricted diet: perhaps 1,000 to 1,500 calories.

The biggest contributor by miles to weight loss and reduction of blood pressure was: SALT. Yes, salt - by cutting out almost completely. Your body needs salt, but most foods have salt within, and I have cut out or reduced those with high levels - and I have banished salt cellars from the table. If you MUST have salt, get "low sodium" salt. It still has real salt in it, but it is mixed 50/50 with potassium, of which many people are deficient.

I have cut out ALL processed foods, some of which I do miss I admit. They are, to different degrees, stuffed with salt and sugar, which are invisible to a diabetic, and I am not sure all nutrition labels can be entirely trusted.

I always was a bit of a foodie, I enjoy cooking: and now I have turned diabetes into an enjoyable quest to design delicious meals that are perfect for diabetics or people with hypertension. I would be happy to share my findings if anyone wishes.

Exercise, on its own will not do it. I do 30 mins a day on my wife's vibrating plate (power plate) machine, and being fortunate enough to have access to a pool, I swim for 30 mins in the morning, and the same in the evening. I am about to start with weights.

At the beginning of Week 3, the doctor put me on Metformin 500 2 x day. This is undoubtedly helping, though I did make solid progress before I started with it, and I really wanted to fight this without meds: but that is just false pride. Take the help where you can get it.

So what is the punchline, after 1 month?

- Blood pressure: from 179/95 on 23 August to 122/70 on 19 September
- Blood glucose: from Initial Hb1ac of 11.44 mmol/L on 23 August to 5.6 mmol/L on 19 September.
- Weight: from 97.6 kg on 23 August to 91.5 kg on 19 September. A decrease of 6.25% of my body weight.

I know that one swallow doth not a summer make, and that I am in for the long haul, and the discipline I never thought I had in myself will have to be maintained for the rest of my life.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blood glucose: from Initial Hb1ac of 11.44 mmol/L on 23 August to 5.6 mmol/L on 19 September.

Minor point but those are finger prick tests I presume so not an HbA1c level.

That aside well done indeed. although beware that excessive starvation can cause future problems.
Don't continue to do it for too long.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I think that my progress is encouraging, but I know little about the topic. I hope though that what I have taught myself and put into practice may encourage others.

My initial reaction was fury and self-disgust. For years I have been very disciplined about carbs, being gluten intolerant whilst at the same time suffering from daily reflux which I treated with copious daily doses of chalk. Then, about 9 months ago I dumped Rennies for a PPI (Nexium). Almost immediately, my gluten intolerance disappeared, I have no idea why.

And then I binged, and binged, and binged on carbs. Pizza, pasta, bread of all kinds. My weight ballooned. I started getting symptoms which I ignored - basically peripheral neuropathy consisting in tingling in the legs and mild loss of sensation in some toes. I just had no idea what the cause might be and I ignored it.

Hence the self-disgust. In my case I genuinely believe that I brought it on myself.

BUT. I quickly decided to turn my rage into something constructive. I used it to target the disease itself, to fuel my determination to beat it into remission - and as fast as possible. I searched for positives and I find many. After only 1 month into the adventure, I feel and look so much better, healthier, and every small daily victory simply increases my determination. And every small day's set-back I treat simply as another coal to toss onto the fire of my determination.

First I set up spreadsheets for daily food intake, and for the daily stats: weight, blood glucose, blood pressure (taking the average of 3 readings each time)

Blood pressure is important: but it is weird to understand the peaks and troughs, not only throughout the day, but also within the series of 3 readings at a time: it is quite extraordinary, but I am told quite normal at the same time. I take the readings 5 or 6 times/day: always at the same time as I do the sugar readings (waking, morning exercise, before breakfast, 2 hours after breakfast, same for lunch, afternoon exercise, and before dinner).

I recognise that the chore of keeping such records is perhaps not for everyone: but I enjoy it, and it gives me an overview of progress that becomes ever clearer, the longer I keep the diary.

As for diet: I also keep a diary. I weigh every ingredient I use, and I count the calories, carbs, protein - AND the glycemic index and load.

I have researched which foods contain the lowest calories and carbs, with the lowest glycemic load. You would be surprised how many delicious and nourishing foods you will find that meet those criteria. One example: mashed beetroots, scented with garlic and cinnamon, a touch of cumin, and for those that like spicy - red chillies. Serve it with some fish or chicken (which I poach without the skin). A really filling meal, no hunger pangs: high protein, low calories and carbs, but with some bulk and fibre.

For two weeks I went on an 850 calorie diet: I wanted to bring my weight down by 5 to10% as fast as possible. And then I went on a less restricted diet: perhaps 1,000 to 1,500 calories.

The biggest contributor by miles to weight loss and reduction of blood pressure was: SALT. Yes, salt - by cutting out almost completely. Your body needs salt, but most foods have salt within, and I have cut out or reduced those with high levels - and I have banished salt cellars from the table. If you MUST have salt, get "low sodium" salt. It still has real salt in it, but it is mixed 50/50 with potassium, of which many people are deficient.

I have cut out ALL processed foods, some of which I do miss I admit. They are, to different degrees, stuffed with salt and sugar, which are invisible to a diabetic, and I am not sure all nutrition labels can be entirely trusted.

I always was a bit of a foodie, I enjoy cooking: and now I have turned diabetes into an enjoyable quest to design delicious meals that are perfect for diabetics or people with hypertension. I would be happy to share my findings if anyone wishes.

Exercise, on its own will not do it. I do 30 mins a day on my wife's vibrating plate (power plate) machine, and being fortunate enough to have access to a pool, I swim for 30 mins in the morning, and the same in the evening. I am about to start with weights.

At the beginning of Week 3, the doctor put me on Metformin 500 2 x day. This is undoubtedly helping, though I did make solid progress before I started with it, and I really wanted to fight this without meds: but that is just false pride. Take the help where you can get it.

- Blood glucose: from Initial Hb1ac of 11.44 mmol/L on 23 August to 5.6 mmol/L on 19 September.
- Weight: from 97.6 kg on 23 August to 91.5 kg on 19 September. A decrease of 6.25% of my body weight.

I know that one swallow doth not a summer make, and that I am in for the long haul, and the discipline I never thought I had in myself will have to be maintained for the rest of my life.
What an inspiring post. I really like the sound of the mashed beetroot dish, but avoided beetroot thinking it was not a good choice being an underground veg? Maybe I'm wrong there. You have attacked this foe diabetes with gusto. Very well done!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What an inspiring post. I really like the sound of the mashed beetroot dish, but avoided beetroot thinking it was not a good choice being an underground veg? Maybe I'm wrong there. You have attacked this foe diabetes with gusto. Very well done!
My beetroots do not grow underground.
At just over 7 percent carbs they are in my list of veges I eat, though I do not buy them out of season very often. I prefer them as they are, not pickled, as I could preserve some for year round use, but I like seasonality.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Minor point but those are finger prick tests I presume so not an HbA1c level.

That aside well done indeed. although beware that excessive starvation can cause future problems.
Don't continue to do it for too long.

Thank you very much for your response!

Yes, they are finger prick tests: I understand that Hb1ac are more meaningful if conducted on a 3-monthly basis. But I am attempting to establish a daily journal purely for short term trend line and motivational purposes.

As for the starvation diet: I was aware that it is unsustainable for a lengthy period, but I wanted to start the campaign with a bang, and it worked, in that I believe (perhaps wrongly) that a quick loss of around 5% body weight, if maintained subsequently, would be a very strong basis for the rest of it.

It has also trained my stomach in that I hardly ever feel hunger pangs, and the temptation to snack on naughties is much diminished!

In fact I have increased the calories and am concentrating more on high protein, low carb and low GI. My weight has plateau'd as expected, but remains stable: I am not putting on weight.

The daily average over 5 days of pin prick results - 5 or 6/day - has gone: 123 - 115 - 106 - 101 - 100 mg/dl. (6.8 - 6.4 - 5.9 - 5.6 - 5.6 mmol/L) This includes 6 readings in the 90s (mg/dl) and 2 readings in the 80s.

I do of course realise that these are very early days and that there is a long haul ahead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My beetroots do not grow underground.
At just over 7 percent carbs they are in my list of veges I eat, though I do not buy them out of season very often. I prefer them as they are, not pickled, as I could preserve some for year round use, but I like seasonality.

I am in the process of fermenting some fresh beetroots. But I am absolutely not sure whether fermented foods - full as they are of probiotics - are appropriate for either hypertension or diabetes. I read conflicting opinions on this.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.

Very very well done. X