Can't get my Bs down

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no carbs yesterday and I checked my Bs about 9pm last night and it was 11, checked again this morning and it was 10.5 I've had a boiled egg for my breakfast and 2 hours later only come down to 10 , no carbs eaten again. Can anyone suggest how I get it down its always worked before when I've been low carb , thanks xx

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had no carbs yesterday and I checked my Bs about 9pm last night and it was 11, checked again this morning and it was 10.5 I've had a boiled egg for my breakfast and 2 hours later only come down to 10 , no carbs eaten again. Can anyone suggest how I get it down its always worked before when I've been low carb , thanks xx
I find it can take a few days for levels to adjust if I’ve had carbs in recent days. Perhaps it just needs a little more time

there can be other factors of course, any recent vaccinations, illnesses, or stress or heat in my case. Unfortunately can be random this condition

Reactions: maxjoe121

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couple of things to check: Are your strips in date? Your meter not too old? (Couple of years at least). I don't know what you've eaten on other days but if there was a heavy carb load, that might explain it. A covid or flu vaccination could cause it, a cold coming on... Stress, sleepless nights, anything can put your bloods up, really.

If there's absolutely nothing you can think of, keep testing, and if things don't settle down or a cold makes itself known, you might want to get in touch with your gp, just to be on the safe side.

Hope it gets better soon!

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couple of things to check: Are your strips in date? Your meter not too old? (Couple of years at least). I don't know what you've eaten on other days but if there was a heavy carb load, that might explain it. A covid or flu vaccination could cause it, a cold coming on... Stress, sleepless nights, anything can put your bloods up, really.

If there's absolutely nothing you can think of, keep testing, and if things don't settle down or a cold makes itself known, you might want to get in touch with your gp, just to be on the safe side.

Hope it gets better soon!
I haven't been eating much the last 2 weeks as had some devastating family news, and the only thing I have eaten is my tea on an eve which is a small plate but probably that as I haven't been keeping track of my carbs so maybe due to that, I have lost weight probably drastically with missing meals over the last 2 weeks . Thankyou for your advice xx

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't been eating much the last 2 weeks as had some devastating family news, and the only thing I have eaten is my tea on an eve which is a small plate but probably that as I haven't been keeping track of my carbs so maybe due to that, I have lost weight probably drastically with missing meals over the last 2 weeks . Thankyou for your advice xx
Ah, shock/grief... Yeah. That could do it. Just keep an eye on your numbers and if they get really bad, get help, okay? I know it's sometimes hard to take care of oneself when there's a lot going on, but... Try eh.

Hugs,
Jo

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I do sorry to hear about your difficulties. Distress and not eating will have pushed your body into stress mode and raised your levels of adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones rapidly release stores of glucose and you are probably getting an over-the-top response. Eating more low carbohydrate food should help to stop this response and normalize your blood glucose levels. I hope things are happier soon.

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, shock/grief... Yeah. That could do it. Just keep an eye on your numbers and if they get really bad, get help, okay? I know it's sometimes hard to take care of oneself when there's a lot going on, but... Try eh.

Hugs,
Jo
Thankyou, what are the numbers to look out for if they do get bad , and if so is it a case of the doctors surgery or hospital, thankyou

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do sorry to hear about your difficulties. Distress and not eating will have pushed your body into stress mode and raised your levels of adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones rapidly release stores of glucose and you are probably getting an over-the-top response. Eating more low carbohydrate food should help to stop this response and normalize your blood glucose levels. I hope things are happier soon.

Thankyou, I will keep an eye on my carbs , x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou, what are the numbers to look out for if they do get bad , and if so is it a case of the doctors surgery or hospital, thankyou
You might want to call 111 for advice if you remain high, seeing (upper) tens or even twenties. They'll let you know whether A&E or the doc's preferred.

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Bs after my low carb breakfast was 7.5 , I had nothing else to eat till 4pm as I just can't stomach anything at the moment and my bs when taken at 4 was 8.5, just don't understand why as I've had nothing , would this rise if I don't eat too .. I was waiting till teatime but maybe I'll just have to eat little and often ,
Thanks x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Bs after my low carb breakfast was 7.5 , I had nothing else to eat till 4pm as I just can't stomach anything at the moment and my bs when taken at 4 was 8.5, just don't understand why as I've had nothing , would this rise if I don't eat too .. I was waiting till teatime but maybe I'll just have to eat little and often ,
Thanks x
Your liver is dumping glucose to keep you going, but since you can't burn it effectively, it ups your bs a little. Personally, I'm just glad you're not seeing double digits anymore.

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your liver is dumping glucose to keep you going, but since you can't burn it effectively, it ups your bs a little. Personally, I'm just glad you're not seeing double digits anymore.
Thankyou xx