Has anyone experimented with more carbs pre/post workouts?

fendertele

So right now I'm on

80g carbs per day = 9%
protein 271g = 31%
Fat 233g = 60%

I've also experimented with having the protein percentage higher and fat lower but this caused issues with libido...

The lack of carbs is only really evident in my core strongman lifts... deadlift/squat etc.... the ones that really tax the system and use every ounce of your energy.

I used to be deadlifting around 250kg including the bar and I cant get above 180kg/190kg at a push now... and have been stuck at this for 2 months.

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Woke. Censorship. Climate cult loons. and so on.
The main lift that I've noticed it with

With lyfsum app I just adjust my calories so for example my surplus calories right now being around 3500 calories and then set my carb intake to 80g per day then I set my Fat/Protein to round it off. If that's what you mean ?

Well, my opinion would be to fix your issue first. Reverse the T2D using Keto, get off the meds and then experiment with carbs. If carbs send you back into T2D numbers, then you have more work to be done. Personally I would focus on the disease first, then muscle building. Not medical advice.

Reactions: ianf0ster

fendertele

Well, my opinion would be to fix your issue first. Reverse the T2D using Keto, get off the meds and then experiment with carbs. If carbs send you back into T2D numbers, then you have more work to be done. Personally I would focus on the disease first, then muscle building. Not medical advice.

I am already back to normal levels for T2 ? I reversed it from the initial diagnosis to the follow up by going LCHF been normal levels for over 6 months... I've just been sticking to LCHF as I thought I'd have to for life... but now that I know I can have some carbs/sugar ( my magnum bar thread) It's now opened up a chance to bring them back in for pre/post workouts hopefully ?

I've never been on any meds for the diabetes ? do you mean get off my prolactinoma meds ? they are lifelong I cant come off those and they never affected my lifting for over 15 years why would you think I need to get off them ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Woke. Censorship. Climate cult loons. and so on.
I am already back to normal levels for T2 ? I reversed it from the initial diagnosis to the follow up by going LCHF been normal levels for over 6 months... I've just been sticking to LCHF as I thought I'd have to for life... but now that I know I can have some carbs/sugar ( my magnum bar thread) It's now opened up a chance to bring them back in for pre/post workouts hopefully ?

I've never been on any meds for the diabetes ? do you mean get off my prolactinoma meds ? they are lifelong I cant come off those and they never affected my lifting for over 15 years why would you think I need to get off them ?

Sorry, I have no idea what prolactinoma is used for and assumed it was for diabetes treatment. If you think the T2D is fixed, then the only way is to experiment. You could try carb cycling. If you BG runs high, then not fixed. If normal levels non diabetic, fixed. However, in my experience, carbs are not required to build muscle, whether diabetic (unless undiagnosed T1 or T1.5 who can have issues building muscle), or not. "Overall bodyweight" can have an impact on your strength of course, there are exceptions to that rule though, so if you are looking to gain mass, including bodyfat, then sure, use carbs to get weight up much faster. Keep an eye on your BG though. All you can do it experiment really.

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
So right now I'm on

80g carbs per day = 9%
protein 271g = 31%
Fat 233g = 60%

I've also experimented with having the protein percentage higher and fat lower but this caused issues with libido...

The lack of carbs is only really evident in my core strongman lifts... deadlift/squat etc.... the ones that really tax the system and use every ounce of your energy.

I used to be deadlifting around 250kg including the bar and I cant get above 180kg/190kg at a push now... and have been stuck at this for 2 months.
That is significant. I know Stan Efferding doesn't get on well with Keto from a muscle loss perspective (but he is huge). When Rob Wolfe was having power issues in the gym it was electrolytes, which eventually led to the LMNT product. The make your own version is below if you want to try it:

The best homemade electrolyte drink for dehydration (All natural ingre – Drink LMNT, INC.
INGREDIENTS (serves 1):
  • 1 quart water
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • Dash of stevia, to taste (optional)
  • ½ teaspoon salt (provides ~1 g sodium)
  • 500 mg potassium citrate powder (provides ~200 mg potassium)
  • ¼ teaspoon of magnesium malate (provides ~60 mg magnesium)
  • (or 1 packet LMNT Raw Unflavored for sodium, magnesium, and potassium)

Reactions: LaoDan

fendertele

That is significant. I know Stan Efferding doesn't get on well with Keto from a muscle loss perspective (but he is huge). When Rob Wolfe was having power issues in the gym it was electrolytes, which eventually led to the LMNT product. The make your own version is below if you want to try it:

The best homemade electrolyte drink for dehydration (All natural ingre – Drink LMNT, INC.
INGREDIENTS (serves 1):
  • 1 quart water
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • Dash of stevia, to taste (optional)
  • ½ teaspoon salt (provides ~1 g sodium)
  • 500 mg potassium citrate powder (provides ~200 mg potassium)
  • ¼ teaspoon of magnesium malate (provides ~60 mg magnesium)
  • (or 1 packet LMNT Raw Unflavored for sodium, magnesium, and potassium)

I also thought it could have been electrolyte deficiency and bought this a few months ago https://www.bulk.com/uk/electrolyte-powder.html.

But it didnt help in the strength department, My issue hasnt been muscle gain I've been growing with no issues and have gotten bigger this is purely my strength that has suffered and stamina/endurance since going low carb.

I'm just back from my workout tonight and before going I decided to have a few baked potatoes along with my usual steak and chips and felt the difference when I was lifting... I finally broke through a lot of my lifts that had been stuck for the last few months.

I tested before eating as 5.7 and when I finished my workout 2 hours later was sitting at 6.3... So I'm guessing this is a good result esp as my cortisol likely would have gone up after my first hour. Even had the energy to put in some sprints on the treadmill which I haven't done in months.

Reactions: LaoDan