Sex

Onlinecaroline

A bit of a more delicate question. I woke up with a FBG of 5.1, almost straight after….my alarm warned me I had climbed to 7.5 and climbing. It did come back down fairly quickly.

Now I know this isn’t a huge rise but we are trying for a baby and obviously want to keep sugars as low as possible. Also with trying for a baby if this is happening regularly I realise it would have an impact in my HBA1c. Is this a normal reaction?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit of a more delicate question. I woke up with a FBG of 5.1, almost straight after….my alarm warned me I had climbed to 7.5 and climbing. It did come back down fairly quickly.

Now I know this isn’t a huge rise but we are trying for a baby and obviously want to keep sugars as low as possible. Also with trying for a baby if this is happening regularly I realise it would have an impact in my HBA1c. Is this a normal reaction?
"Strenuous exercise" can up blood sugars for a bit, as can dawn phenomenon. Both come down to your liver helping you out a bit by giving you some extra energy. If you come back down relatively quick, I wouldn't worry. ;)

Reactions: Onlinecaroline

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Non-diabetics spike too with "exercise", add in all the endorphins being released, the brain runs on glucose.
Missus was washing her hair a lot during my CGM trial so I didn't get a chance to do my bit for science.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would say keep trying.
Let s call the sex High Intensity Interval Training - if you are enjoying yourself - your bg will go higher due to the adrenalin etc but 7.5 is not a huge spike and as you say it comes down again quickly as you 'recover'. Hopefully in bed.
I assume you're on prescription folic acid more importantly?
And also good luck. I loved my 3 type 1 pregnancies - it is a special time if slightly scary!

Reactions: Lainie71 and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It doesn't seem like an issue to me, 7.5 is still within normal range. I also wonder whether dawn phenomena was a factor, if you'd just woken up. From personal experience, I'd be more concerned about a low during such activities, as though I guess you might still get pregnant and it's not a health issue if you treat it in time, it takes any fun out of the experience. My partner knows that a beeping low alarm on my dexcom is an immediate "I need to wash my hair right now" signal. :)

Onlinecaroline

I would say keep trying.
Let s call the sex High Intensity Interval Training - if you are enjoying yourself - your bg will go higher due to the adrenalin etc but 7.5 is not a huge spike and as you say it comes down again quickly as you 'recover'. Hopefully in bed.
I assume you're on prescription folic acid more importantly?
And also good luck. I loved my 3 type 1 pregnancies - it is a special time if slightly scary!
Thank you! Still waiting on a pre-conception clinic appointment but hopefully get one within the next few weeks.

Thanks for all the advice - it’s never happened before so just wanted to double check!

Reactions: NicoleC1971

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Without having a clue, those numbers sounds perfectly fine to me, why are you unhappy?

Onlinecaroline

Without having a clue, those numbers sounds perfectly fine to me, why are you unhappy?

My 2 reasons for asking were that the Dr has given me very tight numbers to stick to before conception of FBG below 5.5 and nothing above 7 at all if possible. Secondly, for me personally that’s quite a high number. I generally never see anything above a 6/6.5 unless carbs have been eaten.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My 2 reasons for asking were that the Dr has given me very tight numbers to stick to before conception of FBG below 5.5 and nothing above 7 at all if possible. Secondly, for me personally that’s quite a high number. I generally never see anything above a 6/6.5 unless carbs have been eaten.

Your doctor may have been a bit too strict with their 7.
We now know from CGM trials that non-diabetics spend 30 mins per day >7.8.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ine-normal-glucose-the-results-are-in.182221/

You don't go sweating that 7.5