Starting over following Covid

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Long story short - I was in emission from t2 but have let things go. Got covid, got BG tested and it was 26! Went to hospital, now on antibiotics and have vowed to sort my life out.

Todays reading before food was 14.6. Still high but better than 26…I’ve gone back to low carb/keto but it’s very early days.

How long is reasonable to expect for my BG to come down? I’m on Day 9 of covid and I’m wondering how high people’s BG has gone when battling covid and how long after getting better did it take to regain BG control?

I’m trying hard not to be paranoid that my pancreas has given up after having let things go for two years…doctor wants me to have HBA1c as soon as I’m out of isolation but isn’t too concerned at this stage. I know I need to be patient too but I just can’t stop thinking about the possible damage I’ve done through my stupidity.

I suppose I’m looking for you lovely lot to offer some assurance x

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had Covid in March 2020. I wasn't tested as they didn't think people who hadn't travelled to covid hotspots needed testing back then. My coughing stage lasted 5 weeks. My lethargy lasted alot longer, and is still around some of the time. My BGs? Well I didn't test them much during Covid as there wasn't much point. I couldn't do anything about them. I couldn't get treatment for Covid, and back then no-one knew how to treat it anyway. My BGs were high the few times I did test, but only up to about the 14s, but of course could have been higher when I didn't test.

Controlling my BGs post Covid has been more difficult than it was before, but now they seem to have returned to what is normal for me, this happened at maybe the 13 months mark.

This isn't saying that it is going to be like that for you, we are all different. ( How many times have you heard that before on here lol?)The reason I am telling you this is so that you don't keep stressing and beating yourself up. You have been depressed and you have Covid and now you are up and at 'em, fighting both these things. Well done! Just be aware that things may take some time to come back into line. This doesn't mean they won't ever return to normal and it certainly doesn't mean that it's through any fault of your own.

You have been very kind to me in the past, please be kind to yourself now.

Reactions: EllieM and Debmcgee

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had covid April 2020. I got long covid. It took around a year to stabilise my blood sugar levels. My blood pressure went high too, but is now, after nearly 18 months, climbing down.

Edited to change 'not' into 'now'

Last edited:
Reactions: Debmcgee

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had Covid in March 2020. I wasn't tested as they didn't think people who hadn't travelled to covid hotspots needed testing back then. My coughing stage lasted 5 weeks. My lethargy lasted alot longer, and is still around some of the time. My BGs? Well I didn't test them much during Covid as there wasn't much point. I couldn't do anything about them. I couldn't get treatment for Covid, and back then no-one knew how to treat it anyway. My BGs were high the few times I did test, but only up to about the 14s, but of course could have been higher when I didn't test.

Controlling my BGs post Covid has been more difficult than it was before, but now they seem to have returned to what is normal for me, this happened at maybe the 13 months mark.

This isn't saying that it is going to be like that for you, we are all different. ( How many times have you heard that before on here lol?)The reason I am telling you this is so that you don't keep stressing and beating yourself up. You have been depressed and you have Covid and now you are up and at 'em, fighting both these things. Well done! Just be aware that things may take some time to come back into line. This doesn't mean they won't ever return to normal and it certainly doesn't mean that it's through any fault of your own.

You have been very kind to me in the past, please be kind to yourself now.

That sounds bad for you - how scary that must’ve been. Luckily I’ve had antibiotics to help with my chest and I’m so grateful for that. Everyone at the NHS were amazing.

I tested again after my nap and it’s down to 12.4 which is encouraging and will have to be the best to expect for now. I find it fascinating that illness can have such an impact on our bloods and just hope my pancreas hasn’t given up yet. I will do better and I promise not to beat myself up over it so I can be as calm as possible.

My taste came back today - not completely but I made a really nice dinner of garlic chicken and green beans - it feels good to eat clean again after gorging on **** for so long.

Tomorrow I’m going to start meal planning and will not really deviate from it unless it’s something really special. I want to get back to how I was before after a full year of keto - I’d never been fitter

Consistency is my buzz word for now.

Thank you for being so supportive xxx

Reactions: EllieM

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had covid April 2020. I got long covid. It took around a year to stabilise my blood sugar levels. My blood pressure went high too, but is now, after nearly 18 months, climbing down.

Edited to change 'not' into 'now'

Wow a whole year! That must have been frustrating but I bet you’re glad you’re through it now. I wonder statistically if t2s are more likely to have long covid. My brother got covid in America and was very unwell for a long time and he’s really fit which just goes to show the virus doesn’t discriminate.

I’m supposed to be back at work on Thursday - looking forward to venturing outside again but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to stay awake and be responsible for a load of children!!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds bad for you - how scary that must’ve been. Luckily I’ve had antibiotics to help with my chest and I’m so grateful for that. Everyone at the NHS were amazing.

I tested again after my nap and it’s down to 12.4 which is encouraging and will have to be the best to expect for now. I find it fascinating that illness can have such an impact on our bloods and just hope my pancreas hasn’t given up yet. I will do better and I promise not to beat myself up over it so I can be as calm as possible.

My taste came back today - not completely but I made a really nice dinner of garlic chicken and green beans - it feels good to eat clean again after gorging on **** for so long.

Tomorrow I’m going to start meal planning and will not really deviate from it unless it’s something really special. I want to get back to how I was before after a full year of keto - I’d never been fitter

My unproven theory is that our bodies release loads of glucose to give our bodies the energy to heal.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My unproven theory is that our bodies release loads of glucose to give our bodies the energy to heal.

That’s what my doc said. He said that insulin becomes less responsive when we are ill and the body prepares to fight by feeding the virus glucose so it can then protect the immune system. I got lost after that bit

Reactions: lucylocket61

finzi1966

Also, you May have been on steroids for your Covid (called Dexamethasone). They can send your BS stratospheric!

Honestly, I’d try not to worry too much about it for now. You’ve got enough to deal with recovering from Covid. When you’re fully better start focussing on it then.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Finzi. I don’t think they gave me steroids but I did think of that. I had a nebuliser whilst there though so would that count?

Morning blood was 15 this morning . I remember the good old days of stressing when it was a 6!!

Am enjoying reinventing my meal plan now and am looking forward to cooking when I’m better.

Isolation ends today and I was supposed to be back at work tomorrow but it’s too soon so doc has signed me off for a week…I’m desperate to get back to normal but that’s a little way off for now.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Moaning…can’t get blood test for two weeks - shocking!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally had my test and the results came back the next day. I’m currently wondering whether is bad as the surgery booked me a consult straight away!! They’re never that proactive at the best of times!!!! Call is around mid morning so I’ll pop back and update. Morning readings have continued to be really high around 14/15 - even if I have a chip impacts it! I won’t give up but I think the road ahead is gonna be a bit of a battle.

I never wanted to get intervention via pills or worse but I think I’ve let things go to far. Anyway I’m hoping in 6 months, things will look better…

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally had my test and the results came back the next day. I’m currently wondering whether is bad as the surgery booked me a consult straight away!! They’re never that proactive at the best of times!!!! Call is around mid morning so I’ll pop back and update. Morning readings have continued to be really high around 14/15 - even if I have a chip impacts it! I won’t give up but I think the road ahead is gonna be a bit of a battle.

I never wanted to get intervention via pills or worse but I think I’ve let things go to far. Anyway I’m hoping in 6 months, things will look better…
Non diabetic hubby's results came back next day and he got a quick consultation too, so I wouldn't read too much into that. Whilst he had a couple of readings that were out of range there was nothing very urgent.

And yes, in 6 months things will look better. You may need a bit of help via drugs etc in the meantime but this doesn't necessarily mean it's forever.

Reactions: EllieM and Debmcgee

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Non diabetic hubby's results came back next day and he got a quick consultation too, so I wouldn't read too much into that. Whilst he had a couple of readings that were out if range there was nothing very urgent.

And yes, in 6 months things will look better. You may need a bit of help via drugs etc in the meantime but this doesn't necessarily mean it's forever.

Glad hubby was ok. Thanks for the reassurance. I will stop beating myself up soon - I promise!

Also been slowly tackling the clutter in the house. Nowhere near show home status (that’ll never happen here with my messy kids) but I’ve reorganised the kitchen to make it easier to cook, and I’m making my way through each room and being ruthless. Charity shop and foodbank will be happy! X

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Update. Docs just called. My A1c was 96 - I work in old money so I make that 14.9. A month of that would have been covid stuff before and after but it must’ve still been high pre covid.

They’re putting me on met immediately from today and building me up to 4 tablets a day. I don’t know what that means in practice but I want to get started asap. She was quite clear that there’s no more time to muck about and I’m too young to start dwindling…

Liver enzymes need further investigation so they’re getting me a scan. They think I’ve got fatty liver but keto will sort that out. Cholesterol is too high and I need to do another pee test. Sodium is too low so they’ve told me to stop drinking (!) but I will add electrolytes to water and food aka pink salt as I need water to get BG down.

She asked me if I ever get stomach ache - I don’t. Thought that was odd.

So in a nutshell, recovery starts all in tomorrow when I start the met. I’m glad it’s just met and not injections as I was most worried about that. No more beating myself up - life was **** the last two years but I need to look at improving myself asap. I will not beat myself. I will not put myself under more pressure but I need to do something now.

Any advice would be appreciated xxx

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update. Docs just called. My A1c was 96 - I work in old money so I make that 14.9. A month of that would have been covid stuff before and after but it must’ve still been high pre covid.

They’re putting me on met immediately from today and building me up to 4 tablets a day. I don’t know what that means in practice but I want to get started asap. She was quite clear that there’s no more time to muck about and I’m too young to start dwindling…

Liver enzymes need further investigation so they’re getting me a scan. They think I’ve got fatty liver but keto will sort that out. Cholesterol is too high and I need to do another pee test. Sodium is too low so they’ve told me to stop drinking (!) but I will add electrolytes to water and food aka pink salt as I need water to get BG down.

She asked me if I ever get stomach ache - I don’t. Thought that was odd.

So in a nutshell, recovery starts all in tomorrow when I start the met. I’m glad it’s just met and not injections as I was most worried about that. No more beating myself up - life was **** the last two years but I need to look at improving myself asap. I will not beat myself. I will not put myself under more pressure but I need to do something now.

Any advice would be appreciated xxx
Well that all sounds perfectly doable. A bit daunting at first but low carb and met will sort you out.
A naturopath once prescribed me Lipotropic factors which helped improve my fatty liver.
I wouldn't worry about the cholesterol yet, get the other things sorted and it will probably sort itself.

I am not sure how others feel about this but I found that on keto my FBGs didn't improve an awful lot as I was fat adapted and didn't utilise the few carbs I had. Metformin will help stop liver dump though. Like you, I am having to pull myself together post covid, but I am doing just low carb 60g for now whilst I sort my BGs out. I will revert to keto to lose weight later. @bulkbiker any advice on this? It may be just me lol :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My BG was brill on keto before but my morning readings were always around 6 back then which I used to get so annoyed about - I used to stress about that - how I would give anything to be there again!!! I do think I have Dawn phenomenon so I will focus mainly on HBA1c every three months. I will ask for regular testing to see how I go with the met and a k positive changes.

I just hope I’m on on met…

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was OK on metformin after a couple of weeks...as long as I low carbed. One thing to watch though is your B12 levels. Ask for them to be tested when you have been on the metformin for a few months. I think Covid helps deplete our reserves of some B vits and metformin is known to deplete B12.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BG was brill on keto before but my morning readings were always around 6 back then which I used to get so annoyed about - I used to stress about that - how I would give anything to be there again!!! I do think I have Dawn phenomenon so I will focus mainly on HBA1c every three months. I will ask for regular testing to see how I go with the met and a k positive changes.

I just hope I’m on on met…

As @zand kindly tagged me in..

I'd just go full keto for at least 3 months and give yourself a chance to recover with real food and no junk.
My FBG took about 4-5 months to get down to "normal" with intermittent fasting and pretty hard core keto.

I started with an HbA1c of 87 mmol/mol so a bit lower than yours. I'd guess maybe 6 months to get down to sub 6's.
That was without any meds though so with the metformin you might find it comes down quicker.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As @zand kindly tagged me in..

I'd just go full keto for at least 3 months and give yourself a chance to recover with real food and no junk.
My FBG took about 4-5 months to get down to "normal" with intermittent fasting and pretty hard core keto.

I started with an HbA1c of 87 mmol/mol so a bit lower than yours. I'd guess maybe 6 months to get down to sub 6's.
That was without any meds though so with the metformin you might find it comes down quicker.

Thanks for the insight. You did really well to get back down without intervention. I feel like I’ve got a race against time but I know that’s in my head and not reality. I guess it took two years to raise my bloods so I can’t expect normality overnight.

Let’s hope the met makes me super skinny too! Size zero, here I come…