Possibility of T1 being passed down to kids..

StamfordB19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone :)

Apologies if this has been covered before, I'm new to the forum.

I was diagnosed with T1 in 2019 when I was 27 with no one in else in my family having it previously. My partner is due to give birth next year and I was wondering what everyone's experience/knowledge is with the likelihood of passing it down to our kids.

I've had a look online and there seems to be quite a mixed response. After meeting with our midwife last week, she said that if the father has T1 there's a lower risk than if the mother was T1. She also mentioned there is a reduced risk if the mother breast feeds which I found quite interesting.

I can't seem to find any statistics to help with this..

Thanks in advance :)

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I was diagnosed with T1 in 2019 when I was 27 with no one in else in my family having it previously. My partner is due to give birth next year and I was wondering what everyone's experience/knowledge is with the likelihood of passing it down to our kids.

I've had a look online and there seems to be quite a mixed response. After meeting with our midwife last week, she said that if the father has T1 there's a lower risk than if the mother was T1. She also mentioned there is a reduced risk if the mother breast feeds which I found quite interesting.

I was advised it skips a generation, and that has been the case in my family history. Both my mother's parents had Type 2 - Diabetes*. They did not pass it on to either my mother or my Uncle. My kids have shown no signs of it.

*That said, there's definitely debate over whether this is significant or not.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This provides some statistics about risk of Type 1 (and type 2) based on genetics: https://www.diabetes.org/diabetes/genetics-diabetes

However, given the amazing advancements in treating Type 1 diabetes in the last 20 years, I believe things will improve even more in your child's lifetime. Whilst it is not a condition I would wish upon anyone, it does not have to be the scary disease with a reduced lifespan and terrible complications from history.
Nowadays, people with Type 1 are running countries, competing in elite sports, performing in International pop bands, ... living beyond "normal lives".

With the small chance of 1 in 17 and the great advancements in treating Type 1, my advice would be not to worry but to enjoy the excitement of next year's birth and the rewards of being a parent.

Last edited:

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I know when I was first diagnosed over 40 years ago , they always told me it misses a generation I know my grandad was rested for it ….ish , but never treated for it , I’m not sure with todays advances if it’s true or not , I also know that there were thoughts of links between Type 1 & type 2 again at the time it was just thoughts , to be honest as far as I’m concerned being type 1 there’s nothing I can do about it like most things genetic ,

Reactions: StamfordB19

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

Hello @StamfordB19 I had had Type 1 for 25 years when my daughter was born in 1984. She is allergic to gluten and therefore
has inherited an overactive immune system. We consulted our GP in 1983 and she reckoned a 1-in-12 chance. Much has been researched on inheritance since. Steph has a 10 year-old daughter and I would be lying if I didn't say that whenever my granddaughter has any attributable signs the big D has often crossed our minds, but we have realised that it just isn't worth worrying. I completely agree with @In Response above. Just enjoy an unbeatable journey! Good luck.

Reactions: StamfordB19