Time to make a change

crazyukman

Hello everyone,

I’ve just found this forum after deciding over the past few days to start taking my T2 diagnosis seriously. It’s not a New Year’s resolution kind of thing, just a growing awareness of how much my blood glucose levels are affecting my body and mind. I received a T2 diagnosis a couple of years ago and have largely ignored it, but my GP is upping the number of diabetic meds I take and the side effects are starting to interfere with my life. Diabetes has always taken a back seat compared to the effort I put in to managing my bipolar, because for me poor mental health always leads to emotional eating. I was holding back the tears after reading @Caeseji ‘s posts because I have a similar life story. But I feel the positivity coming through, that by learning how to manage my T2 I can also achieve improved health and well-being. I didn’t really know how effective a low carb diet could be for improving blood glucose levels, so I’m going to learn more as a result of visiting this marvellous forum. Thanks for sharing your stories so authentically :).

Reactions: jonathan183

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, @crazyukman, and welcome to the forum.
welcome.gif

I like your forum name.
Your T2 experience reminds me of mine, as does your recent decision.

For the first two years after my T2 diagnosis I worried more about cholesterol numbers than BG ones. Eating to decrease one number meant eating that increased another. But mental health IME doesn't register numbers, although I hope this year that eating better will help me with MVP Syndrome Dysautonomia and maybe ASD as well.

I wish you well.

Reactions: coby

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @crazyukman and well done on your decision to take things more seriously. As well as going low carb, most of us get a blood glucose meter to see how different foods affect us, though I expect you know that from reading the forums. It also provides encouragement when you see the numbers improving (or a kick up the backside if they are going up!). We can advise on some meters which are the most economic to run, when looking at prices it’s the strips that are your ongoing cost and more important than the price of the meter itself.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hello everyone,

I’ve just found this forum after deciding over the past few days to start taking my T2 diagnosis seriously. It’s not a New Year’s resolution kind of thing, just a growing awareness of how much my blood glucose levels are affecting my body and mind. I received a T2 diagnosis a couple of years ago and have largely ignored it, but my GP is upping the number of diabetic meds I take and the side effects are starting to interfere with my life. Diabetes has always taken a back seat compared to the effort I put in to managing my bipolar, because for me poor mental health always leads to emotional eating. I was holding back the tears after reading @Caeseji ‘s posts because I have a similar life story. But I feel the positivity coming through, that by learning how to manage my T2 I can also achieve improved health and well-being. I didn’t really know how effective a low carb diet could be for improving blood glucose levels, so I’m going to learn more as a result of visiting this marvellous forum. Thanks for sharing your stories so authentically :).
@crazyukman believe me you are not the only one who didn't take it seriously for a couple of years! We don't want to know just what it can do to us and sort of 'hope it goes away' on it's own! When other problems are affecting our lives/thoughts on a daily basis then we ignore this disease. Then something happens and it hits you hard! That's how it has been for myself and I'm sure many others on here. We just need to get to the point where we accept that only we can do something to prevent it creeping into a very serious state. Reading the posts (and especially the blogs in my case) is what became my own turning point this last Summer. It seems impossible at first but with the help of people who are succeeding, it spurs you on and then it grips you so that all you focus on is beating this invisible enemy. I wish you a Happy and far more healthy 2022 and lots of luck in showing this evil little diabetic monster just who is boss :) xx

Lakeslover

Welcome, and well done for finding this site.

I can say low carb definitely works for me. I’m not always perfect at following it, have my lapses, times when it’s hard to find the right things to eat, but even with those times factored in it’s made a massive difference to my numbers.

take the time to look around on the site, and don’t be afraid to ask questions. There is always someone who can help.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck, @crazyukman!

I'm 5 days in now on my New Year's hopeful "resolution."
Wish me luck too please!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @crazyukman ,

It is great that you are now in the right space to deal with your diabetes. We are all such complex creatures that we need to allow ourselves to find the balance that works for us. I suffer from anxiety and a number of other minor issues but am the parent to three adults who all have additional needs. So I do understand that it is tough. Be kind to yourself- easier said than done.:)

You have found a great resource in this site and I hope you get the support and advice you need here. The people here are amazing and very willing to help so please ask.

Good luck on your journey and welcome.