i hate diabetes

rhiannon

Hi
my name is rhiannon i am 8 years old and have diabetes.
i dont like having it at the moment cus everyone at school is making me feel different :cry:
is there anyone at school in colchester with diabetes cus i want a new school.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Oh bless! Poor you ,you must be feeling very confused just now.I'm afraid,Rhiannon,you're stuck with it however.Do you have good friends at the school who could be told all about your diabetes just so they know what is happening to you? Maybe there are others in your school with diabetes and you just have not met them yet.Are your teachers helpful about it? We will help you if we can.

hails

You arent any different from anyone sweetheart! Infact if you are, you are more special and I will tell you why, you work very hard to make sure you keep your levels down and im sure you show them all you are alot stronger than everyone... you dont see them sticking needles in themselves all day! All you do is work as a pancreas yourself, you still work the same but you have to inject insulin!

Don't feel down about it, Im 24 years old and people still look at me when Im injecting. When your a little older people wont be as mean and they will be much happier to ask you about your condition. Unfortunately people your age can be quite mean, but this does stop! Trust me, I remember being 8!

Chin up Rhiannon! I promise you it all gets easier! Remember that people are often nastier to you if they see its upsetting you... so just smile and ignore them! You will find a decent friend at your school and everything will be fine!
xxx

bonerp

hey you
I got diabetes when I was 7. I just said a bit of me didnt work so insulin gives me what I need so I dont die!

Ask them if they want to try sticking one of your (new!) needles in them! Bet they dont lol!

That used to silence them.

Good luck. It'll become 2nd nature in no time. Of course if you dont want to, you dont have to do the injection in front of them. Depends how cool you are about it. I didnt cos it wasnt socially acceptable in the 70's to get out my 2 inch needle, 2 bottles of different insulin and mix them up!! They are somewhat smaller as less of an inconvenience now.

Paul

DiabetiesChild

hi rhiannon,

i no exactly how you feel, when i was first diagnosed i wanted to move so so much. but now i have come to terms with it. also my mum talked to my friends about my diabetes, and then they stopped making me feel different. it will get better i promise you, just stick with it!!!!

im here if you need to talk to anyone.

xx

Emsy

I remember what it was like... I was 5 years old when I was diagnosed and it was all very different back then! You will probably find that the people you go to school with don't know an awful lot about your condition which may be the reason why it seems they are making you feel a little bit different.

It might be an idea to suggest to a teacher that they could have a day where they look at a number of the common health conditions that children suffer from, then everyone will at least know the basics. You could tell them about how each days goes for yourself.

They could focus on diabetes, asthma, eczema and others as well.

Let us know how it goes

xxx

DiabeticSkater

I've had diabetes since I was 3 years old. I did feel different at school sometimes. but I made some very good freinds and who didnt make me feel different. Maybe people at school are curious about the diabetes but do not understand what diabetes is. Maybe you could try explaining it to people and they will understand more and become your friends.

I think you are a very brave little dude and will feel better about school soon :)

Tigerhair

Hi
I know at school you just don't want to stand out and just want to have everything "normal" - ask any of us adults, believe me NONE of us is "normal" - thankfully. As you get older you will realise that everyone is different and there is pleasure in finding out our similarities as well as our differences - and loving people despite (and sometimes because of) them!
My son is almost 5 and he has only just started school - he said to me the other day "there is this really fat boy at school". I explained to him that he should go and get to know the boy because he may really like him - and ignore the fact that he is fat. See the person inside. Josh agreed with me.
I would suggest that you are in an excellent position to get to know many people because you know they are all different. It won't phase you when they come out with things like "my parents are divorced" or "I love insects" or "I hate parties" - because you know that everyone has differences...

I hope you understand all that complete rubbish - be yourself and you will be loved. Teach people what you know and learn from people.

KimSuzanne

Hi Rhiannon
I was 7 when I was diagnosed I got called names at school but you know what I always said and still say now I'm UNIQUE everyone is unique and thats what makes life so interesting! The other kids are just frightened of something they don't know trust me your not the only one feeling like it!

rhiannon

Hi
thank you for all your messages i got diabetes when i was 6 and it was ok untill i started back at school in year 4. the lady who looked after me in year 3 has left and now i dont have anyone really.its not my friends who makes me feel different it my teachers i have to go into lunch without my friends and i dont like it and i think they dont like me cause i have diabetes it makes me cross and i dont want to go to school and i keep crying now i hate school :cry:

hails

Hey hun!

Oh the teachers make you feel different! Thats not right at all and I really cant understand why you should have to eat alone... there is no need for it!

I would really get your mum to go in and explain that they are making you feel this way and there is no reason for them to make you do things differently!

x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Rhiannon
I'm a grandma and a retired teacher and diabetic. I have a suggestion for you. Have you done any lessons on healthy eaing?
If not yet. ask your teacher if you can do a display on diabetes and teach the rest of your class about it. Once they know, most of them will stop being nasty and you may well find that the whole of your class looks out for you. You'll then have to teach them that you are not fragile, but that if you have trouble, you may need someone to go to the grownups for help.
Your teacher will have a whole load of stuff about you that she /he should have read. Usually it's about how to prevent you having a hypo. Your teacher may be worried about having you in the class and think that you cannot do everything that the others can. You need to show him/her that's not true and you can. You are a person, who has an automatic system that has failed, so you need to take control yourself.
Someone as young as you who is brave enough to write to this group, must be VERY SPECIAL and INTELLIGENT. You can teach your whole school from the tiniest infant to the headteacher about diabetes. YOU CAN!!