Ketones but normal blood sugars

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I'm 4 weeks since postive with Covid and while my blood sugar's are slowly improving I'm getting a rather weird problem. I'm testing my sugars at times and they're below 10 as low as 6 but seem to have ketones over 0.6. anyone else experienced this as to me I thought ketones had to accompany high glucose levels. Also this has been happening for the last week and still having some Covid related symtoms just to add. Thank you.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I'm 4 weeks since postive with Covid and while my blood sugar's are slowly improving I'm getting a rather weird problem. I'm testing my sugars at times and they're below 10 as low as 6 but seem to have ketones over 0.6. anyone else experienced this as to me I thought ketones had to accompany high glucose levels. Also this has been happening for the last week and still having some Covid related symtoms just to add. Thank you.
Are you leaving big gaps between eating? No food for 4hrs plus will start to produce ketones in anyone.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your sugars are below 10, why are you still testing for ketones? I would have to be very poorly with consistently high levels to use my ketone strips. They are like gold dust.

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your sugars are below 10, why are you still testing for ketones? I would have to be very poorly with consistently high levels to use my ketone strips. They are like gold dust.
I was told to follow the sick day rules due to potential long Covid and test for ketones at least once a day or if it goes over 11. Just thought I'd ask as the Diabetes team are hard to get in contact with at the moment.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told to follow the sick day rules due to potential long Covid and test for ketones at least once a day or if it goes over 11. Just thought I'd ask as the Diabetes team are hard to get in contact with at the moment.
COVID, long COVID and even the vaccine is for some causing lots of problems. Even a small snack every 4hrs, piece of cheese, one small spoon of plain yogurt would stop any ketones due to lack of food and if your basal is right you shouldn’t need to bolus for something small and very low carb. I have a problem with symptoms of DKA whenever I am ill and if am feeling too ill to eat properly my nurse tells me to follow this rule then there won’t be any confusion with any ketones when my blood sugar is high. Hope that helps and you are getting over COVID

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
COVID, long COVID and even the vaccine is for some causing lots of problems. Even a small snack every 4hrs, piece of cheese, one small spoon of plain yogurt would stop any ketones due to lack of food and if your basal is right you shouldn’t need to bolus for something small and very low carb. I have a problem with symptoms of DKA whenever I am ill and if am feeling too ill to eat properly my nurse tells me to follow this rule then there won’t be any confusion with any ketones when my blood sugar is high. Hope that helps and you are getting over COVID
Thank you very much that is genuinely very helpful advice! See how that goes

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Covid was pretty mild for me, oxygen was stuck at 99% and no real issues but my BSG and ketones went up a lot to 2+ (unvaccinated) during the main infection period (10 days)... That could have been down to many things though, firstly I was on a keto diet and the nurses took me off metformin and put me on insulin... 3 weeks on from infection my Ketones are 0.1.. I was also told to eat more carbs. Only thing I have left over from covid (a month later) is smell and taste (more taste) being abit skew-whiff.. Had organs checked and all normal.

Reactions: JCBBFC27

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is your diet like?

I am on Low Carb Diet which has not only improved my BS but also drastically reduced my Insulin intake. I check my Ketones often and they vary between Low and 1.0 depending on what I eat. There is no harm in having such levels and it also helps with weight loss which I badly need. (Not saying you do though):)

Good Luck.:)

Reactions: JCBBFC27

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Usually I forget to eat at work so maybe this ketone problem is a lot more long term than I thought! Obviously with Covid that would of definitely made it worse. For the last couple days I've made sure I've had 4 meals. Guess what no ketones at all! Maybe this is why I've been finding it very difficult to put weight on. Thank you for your replies