Gliclazide

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

My doctor wants to put me in this, I’m terrified as Iv heard it can give you hypos.

Is any other type 2s on this and is it as horrific as I’m imagining please?

Thank you

pluto1a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My LD Son has been on Gliclazide for a few years now and I have not seen any signs of hypos in him. He also has a Dulaglucide injection once a week and takes Metformin. Sorry I can't be more helpful than this and hope it works well for you.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hello

My doctor wants to put me in this, I’m terrified as Iv heard it can give you hypos.

Thank you
It's less strong than others: e.g. glubutryde. With my insulin, I don't have to take all 4 tablets per day (80mg) according to meter reading and activity. I find it has been helpful for fluctuations.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently on Metformin, dapagliflozin, trulicity, and gliclazide, I've not had a hypo yet (and I try to follow a low carb WOE too) If you drive the GP MUST provide you with a meter & test strips as you MUST test before you drive & every 2 hours in a long journey

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I had quite a few hypos when first put on it, but the key is testing yourself on a regular basis. I was also on an ultra low carb diet at the time (Keto) which would typically be 15-20carbs per day for me.

There is nothing to fear by going on it.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hello

Thank you

My T2 91 year old dad (diabetic since 2010) took it for a few years without issue, but his doctors took him off it when he moved to a low carb diet 3 years ago. I personally think it's one of the more benign second line T2 treatments (I believe they can all cause hypos except metformin but am happy to be corrected by the more knowledgeable).

But you are right, they can cause hypos in some people so you'd need to use a glucometer to check things out if you felt odd. (Hypo symptoms are usually very recognisable once you've had your first one.)

Do you know what sort of blood sugars you are running at the moment? Hba1c? If you don't want to go the medication route then another option is to reduce the carbs in your diet....
JoKalsbeek's blog | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

Good luck.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
After initial diagnosis I spent about two years on Gliclazide without any significant hypos. I was provided with a glucometer and tested myself fairly regularly especially when I was educating myself about the impacts of diet and exercise. I also tested before driving to comply with DVLA regulations.
I’ve had more incidences of hypos since moving to insulin dependency, but they are usually caused by me getting my insulin-carb calculations wrong.

My basic advice is ‘don’t worry!'