LOCKING LEGS

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Static192 speaks of involuntary movement of legs etc. Well that is not quite my experience. What is happening to me is that my legs get LOCKED, and painful. It seems to happen mostly when I put my feet up, or at night in the early hours. I also noticed a couple of times it happened to my hand/arm. I dont know whether this has anything at all to do with diabetes. Does anyone else have this experience?
I have had some blood tests, but so far there seem to be no answers.
I did read somewhere that even in a short period, a person can develop neuropathy, and I do get various other strange sensations in my legs. Some of it is I think arthritis, but not all of the symptoms are the same sort of pain or discomfort. I have read that people can even develop the beginnings of neuropathy in the pre-diabetic stage. Having said that, I was in fact misdiagnosed for a year or two and told I was a type 2, when in fact type 1 came to the fore when I was rushed into hospital with ketoacidosis in 2019. Clearly I was a type 1 all along.
Anyway, my main query is to do with the Locking of my legs. Any one got any suggestions?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Static192 speaks of involuntary movement of legs etc. Well that is not quite my experience. What is happening to me is that my legs get LOCKED, and painful. It seems to happen mostly when I put my feet up, or at night in the early hours. I also noticed a couple of times it happened to my hand/arm. I dont know whether this has anything at all to do with diabetes. Does anyone else have this experience?
I did read somewhere that even in a short period, a person can develop neuropathy, and I do get various other strange sensations in my legs. Some of it is I think arthritis, but not all of the symptoms are the same sort of pain or discomfort. I have read that people can even develop the beginnings of neuropathy in the pre-diabetic stage. Having said that, I was in fact misdiagnosed for a year or two and told I was a type 2, when in fact type 1 came to the fore when I was rushed into hospital with ketoacidosis in 2019. Clearly I was a type 1 all along.
Anyway, my main query is to do with the Locking of my legs. Any one got any suggestions?
Hi. You mention Arthritis? Have you ruled out no possible connection to that particular illness, rather than the Diabetes? I ask because your symptoms sound similar to my brother, who has an Arthritic type variation that took the doctors several years to finally diagnose. Just a thought

Reactions: LionChild

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Hi. You mention Arthritis? Have you ruled out no possible connection to that particular illness, rather than the Diabetes? I ask because your symptoms sound similar to my brother, who has an Arthritic type variation that took the doctors several years to finally diagnose. Just a thought
That's very interesting Coby. I will look into it. I spoke to my GP on the phone about this, only this afternoon, but she says my blood tests are fine, and clearly she has no answers....She simply suggests taking my amitriptyline (which I already take occasionally to help with sleep), tonic water and stretching at night....

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Is it more like cramp, which may be related to a mineral deficiency or like restless legs (worse than pins and needles)?
Cramp:
I think the most common is magnesium. But it may also be a salt deficiency if you are doing low carb/fewer processed foods.

I had issues with cramp, especially in my toes, and with restless legs.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Is it more like cramp, which may be related to a mineral deficiency or like restless legs (worse than pins and needles)?
Cramp:
I think the most common is magnesium. But it may also be a salt deficiency if you are doing low carb/fewer processed foods.

I had issues with cramp, especially in my toes, and with restless legs.

Thank you Tricia.
I did have, and still do sometimes get cramp, but this is different. Its a peculiar thing, that my legs, when sometimes level, as in bed, suddenly simply lock into a position that I have no control over to move! It is also painful. What you said about a possible salt deficiency may be an issue, thank you for that suggestion. According to my blood test, my magnesium levels are okay. Anyway, I am starting to have pumpkin seeds with salads, which contain potassium, magnesium and phosphorus to see if that will help at all.

woody1948

Thank you Tricia.
I did have, and still do sometimes get cramp, but this is different. Its a peculiar thing, that my legs, when sometimes level, as in bed, suddenly simply lock into a position that I have no control over to move! It is also painful. What you said about a possible salt deficiency may be an issue, thank you for that suggestion. According to my blood test, my magnesium levels are okay. Anyway, I am starting to have pumpkin seeds with salads, which contain potassium, magnesium and phosphorus to see if that will help at all.
So painfull I have the same thing the bottom of my shin near the foot simply locks to the right- I have to physically turn my foot whilst trying to point my toes at the same time to get it back in place.
I’m 73 M - Iam waiting for a pain clinic review on my back sciatic playing up again.
So wondered if this is affecting these night cramps.?
Started taking MAGNOX LEG CRAMP BUSTER HAS DEFINITELY HELPED ME.
But not cheap
Regards Jim.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I don't have locking, but I do wake up with a painful upper thigh muscle cramp every morning (fall and diabetes may have been the culprits). I notice that sugar makes it worse. I follow exercises and walk first thing in the morning; list leg over other leg, step leg up and down, stretch body with arm extended, and walk. I hope that helps.