Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi everyone,
I'm struggling a bit at the moment with low BG's especially at the weekends when I am buzzing around. I appreciate we are all different but hoping some of you lovely pump users can guide me.
I had 4 glasses of white wine last night & had a quiet morning, drove to b n q (in and out in 5 mins) and back home.
Reduced my basal by 60% when I woke. Avoided a hypo so far but levels just over 4 today.
Is a reduction of this level normal to others? Just seems a big reduction to me.
Thanks. Mo

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Soplewis12 I sometimes completely suspend my basal when I am rushing around so would not be concerned by your 60%.
If your levels are good, your basal rate is good.
You probably have the double affect of rushing around today and last night’s wine.

if it’s working it’s nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Soplewis12

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
@Soplewis12 I sometimes completely suspend my basal when I am rushing around so would not be concerned by your 60%.
If your levels are good, your basal rate is good.
You probably have the double affect of rushing around today and last night’s wine.

if it’s working it’s nothing to worry about.
Thanks inresponse
When I first went on the pump I only had to reduce by 30% in these circumstances but its crept up over last 2 months. Have at least one low every day & it's being slightly erratic with highs.
Been doing some research today & definitely think it's menopausal related.
Will try & speak with GP on Monday, considering HRT.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it’s one of the huge advantages of having a pump - we don’t have to wait half the day to adjust our basal.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would be for me.... I tend to have an 80-90 over half of the next day ...but I have seen days where I reluctantly went out for walks after a night of drink and the lows come....

Your liver may also take it's time with the booze...

I wouldn't worry though...less insulin is always a good thing...

Reactions: Soplewis12

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Spoke with the NHS GG&C DSN last week & she thinks I am trying to run my BG too tightly. She told me that up to 10.0 is acceptable so I have altered my basal programmes. 4th day in today and so far so good. Fingers & toes crossed it continues. Need to let go of my little inner control freak, lol