Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I ate to many carbs last night and woke this morning to 14.2 , gave myself 11 units of Novo Rapid ( usually 8 ) had my usual 20 carbs for breakfast and then went for my usual 2 mile walk , just got back and tested it was 4.9 , had another 12 carbs just to put the brakes on a bit , this works for me every time .
The cats in your profile pic are gorgeous.

Reactions: Yaya10_10

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

has anyone of T1 is on Keto diet? or in low carb diet.
I am thinking of starting one of them. Any advice?
Thanks

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Hi,

Thanks
I tried. Be careful because you'll have a lot of hypos at first, especially at night. But I like low crab diet, because blood sugar levels relatively steady. And for me it a bit difficult because I like chocolate)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Going to a Vegan potluck today. Only the second one since the no mask requirements have dropped. It's inside within a large room and the whole side opens to a nice ocean breeze which makes it feel safer. Last month was the first "regular" meeting and there was only about 15 of us. It should gather steam as time goes on and more people hear about it again. We were up to 50-100 people before Covid. I'm still happier with the smaller amount for now.

Last time we brought our own food and this time we are back to being potluck. That was always a lot of fun as you get to try all sorts of new things. Everyone has to label what's in everything so you know what's exactly in it. It is supposed to be vegan, but some of us are stricter than others and some are GF or have allergies so it works out well.

I made a Tempeh Salad and some fake turkey roll ups. The Tempeh Salad is more traditional, the fake turkey roll ups allow some people to try Tofurky slices in case they never have and want to. I think Tofurky makes one of the best deli slices.

Last edited:

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Thanks
Hello

Yes I eat low carb, I spike very badly with carbs even with the correct amount of insulin and switching to Fiasp didn’t help. I am much better eating low carb. I would say start slowly and make gradual changes as you might have to adjust your insulin but I am much steadier eating low carb and mostly avoid yo yoing! Although despite this I am having a lot of trouble this week thinking of contacting my nurse, but generally it’s definitely helped a lot.

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

Yes I eat low carb, I spike very badly with carbs even with the correct amount of insulin and switching to Fiasp didn’t help. I am much better eating low carb. I would say start slowly and make gradual changes as you might have to adjust your insulin but I am much steadier eating low carb and mostly avoid yo yoing! Although despite this I am having a lot of trouble this week thinking of contacting my nurse, but generally it’s definitely helped a lot.
Thank you so much.

I am thinking if i do not switch to low carb, i
at least reduce them.

This might help to make bg steadier rather than thw yo yoo thing.

Thanks again

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Thanks

Yep, I keep the carbs down or out.. The usual suspects that my insulin working profile has issue complimenting with digestion..

Basal test first. basal dose for me is what it is.. but at least I’m not feeding hypos too much..
That’s the foundation sorted. (Though easier said than done.)

Then work on what you bolus for in your meals..

Best wishes.

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today my bg level is almost at 9 because I lowered my basal

should I increase the basal or 9 is a good result?

the average though is 7.2
hmm

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Yaya10_10 Here they prefer you to aim for daily between 6-7. With an A1C staying below 53. That can vary per person depending on age, circumstance etc. I actually aim for lower than that. Your basal rate is supposed to make up for the glucose your liver makes only and should keep you steady all day if you don’t eat. But if you are on shots sometimes you aim to not go too low at any point if you were to fast. So it can vary some.

https://integrateddiabetes.com/basal-testing/?amp

Reactions: Yaya10_10

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Yaya10_10 Here they prefer you to aim for daily between 6-7. With an A1C staying below 53. That can vary per person depending on age, circumstance etc. I actually aim for lower than that. Your basal rate is supposed to make up for the glucose your liver makes only and should keep you steady all day if you don’t eat. But if you are on shots sometimes you aim to not go too low at any point if you were to fast. So it can vary some.

https://integrateddiabetes.com/basal-testing/?amp
Thank you

I will have a read and I will ask

if anything not clear.

Thnaks

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a bit puzzled. At what time was it 9, and what was it the rest of the day?
three hours after bf was 9 until lunch it was 8.4
and before dinner was 9.6

now 1 hour after dinner was 10.8 and I had more NovoRapid than usual before dinner

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greetings my diabetic chums hope you are all well
I am due to go abroad soon for my 2 week holiday, so after discussion with my DSN I thought it would be a better idea to come off my pump for the 2 weeks and go back to MDI. This will save a lot of hassle at airport plus carrying a lot of diabetic kit as well. I have been using the pump for about 3.5 years

I started back on MDI on Sunday and control is all over the place at moment. I am taking around the same amount of Novo Rapid but my Basal has increased by 20% but still making no difference

However I am experiencing a constant dull headache and have been for past 3 days. On my pump I just use Novo Rapid, but on MDI I am using Novo Rapid and Levemir twice a day as Basal.

Anyone else experience a similar issue with headaches after going back to Levemir

jmclean2006

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I ate to many carbs last night and woke this morning to 14.2 , gave myself 11 units of Novo Rapid ( usually 8 ) had my usual 20 carbs for breakfast and then went for my usual 2 mile walk , just got back and tested it was 4.9 , had another 12 carbs just to put the brakes on a bit , this works for me every time .

Hi, can I ask what your basal insulin is and how many units you take? 11 units of Novo for me for a 20g carb breakfast would give me a massive hypo in no time even if my pre breakfast reading was over 14?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, can I ask what your basal insulin is and how many units you take? 11 units of Novo for me for a 20g carb breakfast would give me a massive hypo in no time even if my pre breakfast reading was over 14?
The amount of insulin people need varies A LOT!
Some people take less than 10 units a day, total, others take a couple of 100 units.
Comparing amounts of insulin isn't useful when trying to work out your own dose.