Gestational diabetes type 2

Sophielous12

Hi everyone just looking for some advice please.

I had to test my blood sugars daily whilst 37 weeks pregnant for suspected gestational diabetes, all results were fine apart from one reading that came back as 12 an hour eating a dominoes, this was a whole medium pizza and some wedges.

from this result they diagnosed me with gestational diabetes although I never had a glucose test to confirm this. I’m just wondering if it this sounds right? Or because I ate such a bad carby meal could 12 be a normal result for someone without diabetes? I’m just unsure if people without diabetes can still have a spike if they eat something really naughty? I’m just abit annoyed I never got the confirmed test done and now worried if I had gestational diabetes I’m at high risk of developing type 2 but have had no diet advice for this.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Sophielous12 , and welcome.
A simple response to your query is Yes, someone who doesn’t have diabetes could have a blood glucose reading as high, or even higher than 12 an hour after eating a high carbohydrate meal.
However, I am curious asto why you were having to test daily in late pregnancy? Were you having other symptoms suggesting gestational diabetes? How are you now?

Sophielous12

My bloods that were taken randomly came back as borderline for sugar however I’ve been told what I ate before this could also have caused that result. Because of the boderline result they wanted me to test daily to see if I had gestational diabetes. During the days I had things like coco pops which didn’t give me a high reading. I never had a proper glucose test for a definite answer. It’s all left me slightly confused to be honest and worried about my diet now.

Sophielous12

I had no other symptoms other than they said my bump was showing as big at a routine appt, I was referred for a growth scan as gestational diabetes can cause bug babies, but baby was on average and actually born 6.4 pounds so quite small/average!

Sophielous12

Baby was born 7 weeks ago at 39 weeks on 5th. The diabetes nurse diagnosed me on the 4th after hearing I got a 12 from a dominoes, didn’t look at my other meals or readings. I did also have a very carby lunch which from what I can remember was 2 toast, avocado, baked beans and malt loaf which gave me a 10.4 (I may have also had banana with that) but everything else was below 7.8.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Baby was born 7 weeks ago at 39 weeks on 5th. The diabetes nurse diagnosed me on the 4th after hearing I got a 12 from a dominoes, didn’t look at my other meals or readings. I did also have a very carby lunch which from what I can remember was 2 toast, avocado, baked beans and malt loaf which gave me a 10.4 (I may have also had banana with that) but everything else was below 7.8.
Congratulations, for the baby.
What I would suggest is that you ask for a HbA1c blood test. If you haven’t already had that at your post natal check. That will give an indication of average blood glucose levels over the last couple of months. Any cause for concern after that should be followed up by GP.
Also, if you have concerns, you could use a meter to test blood glucose levels yourself. Fasting level, then immediately before and 2 hours after meals. That will give you some idea of how you react to various foods, and act accordingly to adjust your diet, if necessary.
Best wishes.

Sophielous12

Thankyou! Yes I have a letter about the blood test and will certainly book it, would that confirm if I had gestational diabetes? As I’d like to have confirmation for sure however as I’m no longer pregnant I guess it’s not possible to know

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou! Yes I have a letter about the blood test and will certainly book it, would that confirm if I had gestational diabetes? As I’d like to have confirmation for sure however as I’m no longer pregnant I guess it’s not possible to know
The HbA1c blood test is important as it is designed to show average blood glucose levels over the previous 2-3 months. So with a 7 week old baby your test may not really be conclusive about whether or not you had gestational diabetes. However, this could be an opportunity for you to consider your diet, and make changes as necessary.
I don’t claim to be an expert, though. It is many years since I had my last baby, and the only indication I had that I could have GD was the mention of ‘sugar in urine’ near the end of the pregnancy.

I wonder if this website would be of use to you?

https://www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk/gestational-diabetes-misdiagnosis/

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The diabetes nurse diagnosed me on the 4th after hearing I got a 12 from a dominoes, didn’t look at my other meals or readings. I did also have a very carby lunch which from what I can remember was 2 toast, avocado, baked beans and malt loaf which gave me a 10.4 (I may have also had banana with that) but everything else was below 7.8.

congratulations

In type 2 it usually requires an hba1c and symptoms or a repeat test to formally diagnose. It possibly could be different for gestational diabetes but I can’t see why. It seems somewhat unusual to be diagnosed on the basis of a reported fingerprick test (not even taken in the surgery and highly subject to what and when you last ate). It could potentially even have been contamination on your hands for all she knows for sure.

That’s not to suggest you should totally dismiss it. I doubt you can ever confirm you did or didn’t have it during pregnancy now but a test postnatally will indicate if it was more or less likely and it will be worthwhile keeping it in mind in the future and get periodic checks just in case it was, which would raise the possibility of type 2 in later life. Practically eating a real food, lower carb (than typical) diet won’t do you any harm as it is a healthy way to eat anyway.

20 yrs ago in my three pregnancies I was never diagnosed GD but I had +glucose in urine with all three, yet was only GTT’d once and passed but had 2 9lb’ers and a 10lb’er (3 days early) and was diagnosed type 2 14yrs after the last one.

Last edited:

Sophielous12

I do try to have a good diet & exercise and even more so now as I’ve used this as abit of a wake up call. However. Feel I’m worrying abit too much about developing type 2 & being careful, I’m questioning myself if I should have pizza, chocolate, treats, carbs etc, which is no way to live.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do try to have a good diet & exercise and even more so now as I’ve used this as abit of a wake up call. However. Feel I’m worrying abit too much about developing type 2 & being careful, I’m questioning myself if I should have pizza, chocolate, treats, carbs etc, which is no way to live.
Right now? enjoy your baby, get the check up and go from there.

Not so sure pizza, treats, excessive carbs are good for anyone and it’s quite possible to live happily without too many of them, so for now perhaps be more cautious with them without stressing overly.

Sophie123lou

Of course not, I just mean if we’re out for dinner or it’s the weekend should I be restricting myself of what I’d like to have as without guidance of a diet I wouldn’t even know where to start with cutting carbs. I normally go for whole grain options anyway but just find myself overthinking what I put to my mouth atm which isn’t fun