DVLA!!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I filled in and posted my licence renewal on 10 December 2021 with the DIAB1 form for diabetes and V1 form for diabetic retinopathy all firmly stapled together. Both forms were downloaded from DVLA website, as I'd not received my renewal letter, but my licence ran out 22 Feb 2022. Have got proof of posting and a copy of their signature to say they'd received it. Tried ringing a few times on medical helpline, but just got cut off.

Today I've received a letter from the DVLA saying

"Our medical enquiries into your fitness to drive

The information we have received tells us you have another medical condition (Diabetes). You must now fill in a further questionnaire, which is enclosed. Please note that this questionnaire may appear similar to the one that you have recently completed, but it will provide us with important information that we currently do not have.

If you do not fully fill in and return the form within 14 days, you driving licence may be revoked (cancelled) or your application refused."

I don't understand why the online form isn't the same as the one they've now sent me, as this just holds the process up.
So frustrating!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been thru a similar process as I have Aortic Stenosis as well as diabetes. If you have two or more conditions you have to post the forms like you did. I did receive like you another form to add more info and await a response. The DVLA are taking many months to do anything. My licence is now showing 'expired' on the DVLA website - great. My non-diabetic wife renewed her licence last Sept by mail (a big mistake). She has heard nothing but the DVLA website says her licence is valid until 2025. The DVLA have never sent the new one so we will have to declare it lost; great! They need to shutdown the Swansea office and open another one where people want to work for their money.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry that you're having problems with the DVLA too. Please could I ask when you sent the extra information to them?

I don't understand why you can't apply for a medical licence online when you have more than one medical condition. It can't be that hard for the DVLA to change their application forms online. It would save a lot of paper as well!!

Reading online today DVLA hope to have medical renewals back to 3-4 weeks by September, but there are 300,000 outstanding applications.

Joy1988

Hi, I’ve just been through the same process! I like you have both diabetes and retinopathy. Completed my forms august 21 as my licence was due to expire in September 21- waited and waited then started ringing (several times a day) to finally get through (January 22) to be told they’d sent me an additional form to complete. Completed and sent back late January and finally received my licence TODAY!! Better late then never!‍♀️ it’s a nightmare but on the plus side they dated it 10/06/22 i was worried they were going to date in from my expiry and I’d lose 9 months out of my 3 year licence!

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you've finally got yours, but yes it is a nightmare. Am worried if it's going to take another 5 months though!! Apart from needing it as a driving licence, I don't have a passport, so need it for ID purposes. It looks as though when they ask you to complete and return an extra form, as if you go to the bottom of the pile for processing again. The stress and sheer frustration this afternoon led to a nice blood sugar of 5 rocketing to 18!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry that you're having problems with the DVLA too. Please could I ask when you sent the extra information to them?

I don't understand why you can't apply for a medical licence online when you have more than one medical condition. It can't be that hard for the DVLA to change their application forms online. It would save a lot of paper as well!!

Reading online today DVLA hope to have medical renewals back to 3-4 weeks by September, but there are 300,000 outstanding applications.
I sent the second form back on the 27th April; the day it was received. The letter was dated 15th but received on the 27th and I only had 14 days in which to reply from the 15th....

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gosh, that's tight!! What if you'd been on holiday or in hospital etc? Hope you get your licence back soon.

Joy1988

I was exactly the same I’ve been trying to enrol on an online accountancy course but couldn’t as I didn’t have valid, in date ID! They did give me this number for medical enquiries which I actually got through on 03007906806 might be worth a try if you haven’t already! Hope you get sorted soon!

Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Joy1988. I've tried that number, but have been unable to get through. I've posted the extra DIAB1 form off recorded delivery, so once I see they've received it, I'll try again in a few days time. Have you now got your new licence, and did you find it made any difference speaking to them?

I was talking to someone on the phone about something else, and she said her mother-in-law rang this number, and they told her it wouldn't speed anything up. Took 13 months for her to get her licence.

Joy1988

I do have my licence now, yes! It took them a good 9/10 months though! I can’t say whether speaking to them sped it up any or not to be honest but it was just a reassurance for me that I was still safe to drive!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was talking to someone on the phone about something else, and she said her mother-in-law rang this number, and they told her it wouldn't speed anything up. Took 13 months for her to get her licence.

I do have my licence now, yes! It took them a good 9/10 months though! I can’t say whether speaking to them sped it up any or not to be honest but it was just a reassurance for me that I was still safe to drive!

Just boggling at how long you poor people are having to wait for your licenses. Given it's a once in 3 years issue, maybe you should try getting an alternative photo ID card just for when photo ID is needed ???

(As a T1 since aged 8, I've held licenses since 17 in the UK, Australia and now New Zealand. They all required medical forms, but Australia (every 2 years) and NZ (every 10 years) give you an immediate license in person if you turn up with a form completed by your GP. )

Reactions: Hopeful34

F14ydn

Im glad to hear Im not the only one caught up in this disgusting madness.

Medical renewals should be the most preditable of workloads for the DVLA and if they had been Working From Home, like the rest of the country, there would be little or no backlog to address.

I have finally put my case in the hands of my MP, who have a direct phoneline into DVLA with a 72hr response process.

I suggest we ALL make Westminster work for us on this one !

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My previous licence expired in October 2020. Presumably due to covid they said they were not using paper forms. There was an online version to fill in. As long as I hadn't had treatment (eg laser) to both eyes in the past year I didn't need an ophthalmology assessment. That was it, job done, and the licence arrived within a fortnight. Presumably all done by computer. It sounds like they've gone back to paper forms for renewals - seems madness!

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had to contact my MP. The DVLA did nothing with my application for 6 months and only did so when my MP contacted them. DVLA received my forms on 22 September 2021 and only contacted my GP on 31st March 2022. I have MS as well so bit more complicated but never taken this long to sort my licence.

Standard4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to everyone who is having problems with DVLA so no change there.
Unless the law has recently changed, (I was in the Police) as long as you have reapplied for your Drivers licence (Medical) 1 or 3 Years, and have returned medical forms (online or Post) you can legally continue to drive, as long as no new reportable illnesses haven’t yet been declared. You must of course have valid Car Insurance, MOT if required yet.
If you have a Motability or other lease for your vehicle, you must inform them once date on licence expired and state that you have applied for new one, but medical enquiries are taking a long time.

Lastly don’t forget your photo must be changed every 10 years or on any significant difference by DVLA not doing this gives you a hefty fine.

REMINDER:
Regardless of your Diabetic glucose targets, to drive (type 1) your blood sugar now must be at least 5 mmol
and you must have in your vehicle a blood meter (even if on CGM) and supply of glucose or equivalent for Hypos. If when driving you feel hypo-ish stop the car, vacate the drivers seat (move into passenger seat) do your blood test and don’t drive till it’s past 5 mmols plus 30 minutes, again if not followed you can and will be prosecuted. If you stay in drivers seat you are classified as “driving/in charge of vehicle” and the offence of driving under the influence of drugs, even though prescribed, treated same as drunk driver.

In an accident where Police are called, As long as you can show you have done frequent glucose checks, blood sugar 5+ and had any recommended rest periods, the diabetes won’t be used against you.

Reactions: Lawrence73

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Looks like Royal Mail will be striking in the not too distant future, so that will delay applications even further :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I applied online, yesterday, and will let you know how long it takes.
A 76 year old friend had a reminder, no medical problems that require the special forms though. Her licence expires in September, mine in August. Did the rest of you get reminders? I’m wondering if the programmers forgot to add the ‘send out the warning’ button to the medical condition group.

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
Well I'm pleased to say that my license was renewed within just a few few weeks of completing the required information online without issue. I've been T1D for 53 years and have a couple of other medical conditions and never once have the DVLA let me down! I posted this in attempt to present a balanced view of what it's like to renew your license.

Reactions: EllieM

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm assuming the other medical conditions you have were not ones that you legally have to notify the DVLA of, because as soon as I put in a second medical condition online, it said you couldn't do it online, it had to be posted back.