Alternatives to porridge for breakfast?

FairyJan

What has your nutritionist said about your blood glucose levels?
About one year ago she said they were going up every time I had a blood glucose test with my other blood tests. I think it was over a year or so, beginning at 5.3 then 5.4 then 5.7 and now higher - but I don't know what that "higher" was (in June 2021), nor what it is now. I don't know where she saw it in my NHS Health Test. She is in Australia, but I now live in England - since October 2021. She wants me to do a few changes and experiment with sugar testing to get a picture. A retired diabetic nurse here was sceptical about her concern, until, in showing me how to use the machine, I tested 7.0. I had eaten a soft serve icecream maybe 2 hours earlier, maybe less. Before breakfast I seen to be fairly consistent about 5.4. I've been testing for 10 days - starting with once, then twice, once thrice a day.

FairyJan

About one year ago she said they were going up every time I had a blood glucose test with my other blood tests. I think it was over a year or so, beginning at 5.3 then 5.4 then 5.7 and now higher - but I don't know what that "higher" was (in June 2021), nor what it is now. I don't know where she saw it in my NHS Health Test. She is in Australia, but I now live in England - since October 2021. She wants me to do a few changes and experiment with sugar testing to get a picture. A retired diabetic nurse here was sceptical about her concern, until, in showing me how to use the machine, I tested 7.0. I had eaten a soft serve icecream maybe 2 hours earlier, maybe less. Before breakfast I seen to be fairly consistent about 5.4. I've been testing for 10 days - starting with once, then twice, once thrice a day.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Dr Snoddy! I am experimenting! Lots to learn. I will definitely look at the information about sugar levels on this site.
I'm a bit confused about porridge/oatmeal. First I read it is good because it is a complex carb, then I've read it is not good because it's a carb. Perhaps I should change to steel cut.
Porridge is not good because it's a complex carb. All carbs are a problem for us but complex carbs may be less so.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I am not a medic but it does not sound from the readings you have given that you have diabetes. I suggest that you see a doctor or a diabetic nurse in the UK and get an HbA1c test. This will tell you what your average blood glucose levels have been over the previous 3 months. It will not tell you what your blood glucose had peaked at after meals but is used diagnostically to determine whether you are prediabetic or diabetic. I am surprised that your nutritionist is ok with a porridge and fruit breakfast if he or she is also concerned about your blood glucose levels.

FairyJan

I am not a medic but it does not sound from the readings you have given that you have diabetes. I suggest that you see a doctor or a diabetic nurse in the UK and get an HbA1c test. This will tell you what your average blood glucose levels have been over the previous 3 months. It will not tell you what your blood glucose had peaked at after meals but is used diagnostically to determine whether you are prediabetic or diabetic. I am surprised that your nutritionist is ok with a porridge and fruit breakfast if he or she is also concerned about your blood glucose levels.

FairyJan

Thank you for all your interest and considered thoughts, Dr Snoddy. The person who supervised me with my first self-test is a colleague of a relative, and before he retired he was very involved with a diabetic clinic for a wide area. He very much doubted the concern, until my first reading of 7.0 which was perhaps 2 hours after a soft icecream. (Sorry, did I say that already?!). I believe the HbA1c test is what he suggested I could have depending on how my testing read over the next little while. The porridge and seeds and berries is from when, 3 or 4 years ago she sorted me with my cholesterol. So she probably doesn't have it in her head! She told me good meat and lots of green leafy vegetables now.

FairyJan

Thank you so much for your thoughtful listening, knowledge and your care. My answer to your last message got lost (I'm not getting the system quite right!). I think that HbA1c test is what the retired diabetic nurse told me I may need later, depending on my trials. Apart from one time 4 or 5 hours after a pub meal of white pasta, blue cheese sauce, peas and broccoli, when I read 9.9, I see that my other 9.9 was one hour after both breakfast and lunch involving multigrain (not wholegrain) bread. And that one hour should have been two. Thank you again. I am encouraged and more informed!

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And we are all here for you. Never hesitate to ask or discuss.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, Mrs T. I do like eggs, about to have one with my dinner, but I am also aware of cholesterol.
As an older woman higher cholesterol is thought to be protective..
If your body wants more than you eat it will make it.. without it we'd all be dead.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, Mrs T. I do like eggs, about to have one with my dinner, but I am also aware of cholesterol.
The myth about cholesterol and eggs was long ago debunked, and the advice to limit eggs removed about a decade ago.

FairyJan

As an older woman higher cholesterol is thought to be protective..
If your body wants more than you eat it will make it.. without it we'd all be dead.
That's interesting, as my cholesterol level returned to the 7.3 is was three or four years ago before I added some things, subtracted others and modified and it reduced to 5.7. However, now both the practice nurse in UK and my nutritionist in Aus are happy with it because my good is high. Blood test report said it may be "protective" like you said. Nutritionist said my cholesterol is being moved from my arteries (I think) into my body where it is doing its job : )

FairyJan

The myth about cholesterol and eggs was long ago debunked, and the advice to limit eggs removed about a decade ago.
Yes, I've heard that too, so I did hesitate, but wanted to put it out there. You have reminded me I need to check whether my 44 year old daughter meant cholesterol when she said carbohydrate. She changed from Rice Bubbles breakfast to scrambled eggs as part of her sensible, supervised weight loss mission, so was pleased when her GP was surprised at her good "carbohydrate", asking if she'd changed her diet. We were talking carbs at the time, so she may have muddled words.

LINMARIE

A cooked breakfast of eggs, bacon, mushrooms (and a half tomato).
This is what I have in hotels, minus the egg as I've never liked egg at breakfast.

At home instead of oats, which are high carb, I use a mix of milled flaxseed with a little chia seed, then add nuts or other seeds and cinnamon. Cooked with a spoon of coconut milk and water, served with double cream.

I save my one portion of fruit a day to have raspberries with Greek yogurt in the evening.

Love tge sound of this alternative to porridge for breakfadt and will be giving this a go as slways on the look out for alternatives ans this just sounds delicious Thanks

FairyJan

What has your nutritionist said about your blood glucose levels?
She said that my levels were going up over probably a year in the fasting tests I did with my blood tests with the GP in Australia: 5.2, 5.5, 5.7, then last one in September higher again (though I don't know what), then more recently in the UK they didn't do a fasting glucose (despite my request), but whatever they do with the NHS Health Check and Tash said that was such that she is very concerned and I need to work on it now or else I will need medication.