Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

michelle88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My last A1c a few weeks ago was 6.4% or 46.4 mmol/mol. I expected it to be higher because of my bout with Covid, which really messed up my bg for a while.

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not really sure as I haven't been tested for a while, think my last was 91 though my control worsened since so it would probably be higher now.
However, made some progress over the last week or so and my estimated hba1c is a great motivation to keep going and not fluff it up.
Screenshot_20220615-041303.png

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
My last one back in March was 44 and the year before that it was 51 !

Reactions: Antje77

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
I just got my results yesterday and my hba1c was 30 for the second time which is rather worrying as its very low my last one was excellent the same

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Smiler99 Do you have a CGM? Because it depends how you got the 30. If you got it because of highs offset with lows then it's bad, but if you are staying in range then it's not necessarily a problem. The highs will hurt us over time, but one really bad low can be serious quick. My last A1c was 30 too, not too different from my normal 32/33. But my TIR is 96%. (3.9-8.9) If you don't have a cgm try to get one so you know how you are getting to the 30 A1c.

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
@Smiler99 Do you have a CGM? Because it depends how you got the 30. If you got it because of highs offset with lows then it's bad, but if you are staying in range then it's not necessarily a problem. The highs will hurt us over time, but one really bad low can be serious quick. My last A1c was 30 too, not too different from my normal 32/33. But my TIR is 96%. (3.9-8.9) If you don't have a cgm try to get one so you know how you are getting to the 30 A1c.
I stopped using libre in March it didn't work for me, I am waiting for funding for dexcom hopefully next week fingers crossed. I used a dexcom for 10 day trial and I mainly stayed in range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2

RoughcutAU

@coz53 I don’t have a CGM so can only go by 4/5 fingerpricks a day. Some weeks no <4 others 2 or 3 times. On average I would say 1-2 a week.

Keep in mind when i do go below 4 its more often then not a high 3 (3.7/3.8/3.9) and my hypo symptoms don’t kick in until <3.5.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@coz53 You don't have to have hypos to have a low A1c. But a CGM is probably the most useful tool to helping not having them and to know how you are getting to your numbers. I have my low alert set at 4.4 (80) so I have plenty of time to respond before I go "too low". I do drop to between 3.6-3.9 (64-70) off and on. Not a problem to me, but doctors here prefer it to be above 3.9 (70). But my 96% TIR is for between 3.9-7.8 (70-160). My alerts are for lows at 4.4 (80) and high at 7.2 (130) to keep me there.

In my case, retirement making it easier to do the things I need too and a CGM are what makes it possible. A pump has helped too, it makes it easier to give those small doses as adjustments. Of course it all can be useless if you don't have the right basal set or the right carb/ratio or the timing down. My A1c was 30 (4.9).

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@CathP That's impressive! So scary with kids that have type 1. Hopefully you were able to get CGM's for them, it makes it a little easier at least.

Reactions: Hopeful34

coz53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My most recent A1C was 4.7 (28 using the UK scale)
What does your Endo say about your result .Findings published in the British Medical Journal showed that the risk of complications associated with type 1 diabetes can be kept to a minimum by maintaining an HbA1c below 7% (53 mmol/mol) – although having an HbA1c lower than 6.5% (48 mmol/mol) was associated with an increased risk of severe hypoglycaemia

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My last A1c a few weeks ago was 6.4% or 46.4 mmol/mol. I expected it to be higher because of my bout with Covid, which really messed up my bg for a while.

Your A1c numbers are fantastic for a Type 1. And consistently fantastic, which is even harder to do. Congrats. There seems to be a lot of confusion here, in some cases at least, over whether a particular Type 1 or 2 diagnosis is correct or whether a patient still making some of their own insulin is actually an early Type 1. If you’re not making any or just a negligible amount, a “full-on” Type 1, it’s a remarkable job of taming this beast, covid or no covid.

Reactions: michelle88

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@coz53 You don't have to have hypos to have a low A1c. But a CGM is probably the most useful tool to helping not having them and to know how you are getting to your numbers. I have my low alert set at 4.4 (80) so I have plenty of time to respond before I go "too low". I do drop to between 3.6-3.9 (64-70) off and on. Not a problem to me, but doctors here prefer it to be above 3.9 (70). But my 96% TIR is for between 3.9-7.8 (70-160). My alerts are for lows at 4.4 (80) and high at 7.2 (130) to keep me there.

In my case, retirement making it easier to do the things I need too and a CGM are what makes it possible. A pump has helped too, it makes it easier to give those small doses as adjustments. Of course it all can be useless if you don't have the right basal set or the right carb/ratio or the timing down. My A1c was 30 (4.9).

Your. numbers are better than excellent. Are you reasonably sure that you’re not still making any insulin of your own that might be helping with your control? The other thing I wanted to mention is that my endo used to say, paraphrasing, “If you’re not having any insulin reactions, you’re probably not in very good control.” Emphasis here on “any.” But yes, you can certainly avoid most of them.