How to deal with skin abscess

I am constantly getting them in my groin and armpit. Apparently they are very common in type 1 diabetes. I was wondering what can I do for them. My diabetes team aren’t much of a help. My mother wants me to see dermatologist for it. Part of me thinks my blood sugars aren’t great and I am sweat a lot could it be related. Do you have problems with skin abscess.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am constantly getting them in my groin and armpit. Apparently they are very common in type 1 diabetes. I was wondering what can I do for them. My diabetes team aren’t much of a help. My mother wants me to see dermatologist for it. Part of me thinks my blood sugars aren’t great and I am sweat a lot could it be related. Do you have problems with skin abscess.

Not sure I'd go so far as to call them abscesses, but I do have a tendency to get red sore skin where clothing rubs (under bra and where my pantyline meets my legs), particularly in summer. Sometimes the skin cracks, but only very rarely. (Not sure if this is what you are talking about).

E45 and/or antifungal meds usually clear it up for me, though when I last went to a dermatologist for a skin/mole check, she gave me some cream that also contained an antibiotic to clear it up. But it's not something I've ever asked my diabetic team about, just GP and dermatologist.

My guess (disclaimer I am not a doctor) is that just as thrush and UTIs are more likely for people with higher bgs, this might be too.

But no need to suffer in silence, if you can't get a pharmacist to give you something that helps, I'd definitely ask a GP or dermatologist.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

It’s not something I’ve had issue with. Even back in my run away train days?
It would be worthwhile seeing a derma. (Getting referred by your GP.) Do you use any deodorants that maybe causing the issue? Possibly even a bathing product that may disagree..?

Reactions: EllieM

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. Please see your doctor for a condition Hidradenitis suppurativa.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi, I’ve not suffered from this @Type1horsegirl but of course I had to Google. There’s a condition where infection grows in hair follicles that sounds quite like it. However, I’m not a doc and suggest you ask your doc to refer you to a dermatologist.
Maybe using something to discourage infection would help? After a year in Oz I began using eucalyptus oil as a deep cleanser or inhalent when infections threatened. We’re not supposed to dictate, so I’m just saying what I do. It does mean that you’d smell like cough lozenges, or a spa.
Abscesses sound very nasty and uncomfortable. Sympathy!