Snack ideas needed

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I am trying really hard with the low carbing and my BG levels are fairly well controlled. Usually about 5.5, 2 hrs after evening meal.

My big problem is snacking. Without including snacks my carb intake would be approx 50-60g per day. I have been snacking on peanuts but that isn't helping any weight loss. I haven't lost weight since xmas. I put on 2lbs one week then lose it the following week and it's been the same pattern since xmas so I know I need to make some changes.

I have tried to cut out snacks and read books or do something else instead but, due to other emotional problems, it just isn't working. I know one choc digestive is 10g carbs but I can never stop at one. Clementines are 7g and I have tried to eat them each time I want to snack but they just don't do it for me. I eat the clementine then have something chocolate :oops:

I would like ideas for quick, preferably sweet, snacks that won't affect BG level or weight loss. Or am I expecting a miracle?

There are loads of recipes out there but I am looking for something quick and off the shelf (and if anyone suggests a boiled egg I'll happily throw it at them :thumbdown: :twisted: :lol: )

Any other ideas would be greatly welcomed. I need some inspiration.

Thanks

PS My addiction now is moser roth 85% chocolate bars from Aldi. I'm happily having 2 or 3 bars per day which has to stop. Started off as one per day :oops:

A

Anonymous

It's a shame you put that ps on as I was going to suggest high cocoa chocolate, but I'm managing to make a bar last 3 days so I think you're ahead of me.
Everything I snack on is high fat, normally peanuts, greek yoghurt or mini meatballs.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
There is nothing in this world that you can substitute chocolate for. I used to be addicted to chocolate, I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and tea and any other time. Bars and bars of it, without eating any other food I could have lived off it. If I didn't have any it would be on my mind until I went and bought some. I told my DSN I was addicted to and all she could say was instead of a bar buy a pack of 5 smaller bars so I tried that but ate all 5 bars at once! I still eat chocolate now but not as much. It was after a bout of DKA I managed to cut down if it wasn't for that I'd still be eating the same amount.

MadMat

I've been making up sugar free Jelly in plastic pots and keeping them in the fridge - 20 cals and 1 carb in 1/4 of a pack, and for me at least sweet enough that it takes the edge off of a sugar craving :)

Mat

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
MadMat said:
I've been making up sugar free Jelly in plastic pots and keeping them in the fridge - 20 cals and 1 carb in 1/4 of a pack, and for me at least sweet enough that it takes the edge off of a sugar craving :)

Me too. I love them. They are the only thing that keeps me sane. I eat them for breakfast with double cream, yum.

WhitbyJet

Marina - you really do need to wean yourself off the habit of eating so much chocolate, but you know that already anyway.

Normally I would say stop eating anything sweet altogether, but I suspect that this would be too much for you, huh? So how about you prepare some sweet low carb things, for ezample a lush creamy greek yoghurt, you can even stir in a little double cream to make it even more luxurious, add some berries or stewed rhubarb, sweetener and touch of cinnamon.
Each time you crave some snack/chocolate eat a couple of spoons of yoghurt instead. Or bake some low carb muffins, they are sweet as well, or do you have a waffle maker? My girls love making low carb waffles with low carb almond chocolate spread, I can give you the recipe for these if you wanted it.

Replacing the chocolate for yogurt/muffin/waffles will fill you up more than just a few squares of chocolate and these things are sweet and just as delicious.
Of course jelly works as well, add a dollop of cream to it, oh how decadent and stylish, much more class than a bar of chocolate!!

I wonder do you eat enough protein and fat at meal times? Maybe if you try to increase protein and a little more fat you might not feel like snacking anyway.

Lots of love
Judith
x

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Handful of Walnuts or Almonds, three Brazil nuts, chopped salad with cheese or chopped sausage and mint yoghurt dip for dressing, olives, Hartleys sugar free jelly topped with greek yoghurt and Cinammon. Cheese and onion on toasted Burgen Bread. Melba toast with cheese and or ham. Oh and eggs :lol:

All the best - Steve

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Bluenosesol said:
Handful of Walnuts or Almonds, three Brazil nuts, chopped salad with cheese or chopped sausage and mint yoghurt dip for dressing, olives, Hartleys sugar free jelly topped with greek yoghurt and Cinammon. Cheese and onion on toasted Burgen Bread. Melba toast with cheese and or ham. Oh and eggs :lol:

Not fair posting this sort of thing so late at night. I'm bloody starving now...

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Well borofergie I am starving too as I have come off a 6 mile walk. So to remedy, I am having a large glass of red wine, which will lower my BG's and numb my senses. I will then go straight to bed and sleep like a baby and rather than eat anything, I will dream of eating what I have missed!

All the best - Steve